• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    An interesting article that compares scientific methods and traditional solar/lunar cycles:

http://wiredtohunt.com/2017/05/30/2017-rut-predictions-an-earlier-more-intense-rut-than-last-year/

Laroche and Alshiemer's formula is the one I use. I've been following them for the last few years.

The things that cross people up the most are weather and lockdown. Early ruts seem to be the worst sometimes going from fever pitch one day to complete graveyard in 24 hrs. I prefer late ruts like last year.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Harvest Moon is in oct, rutting/hunter's moon is in nov. Last year the rut was on nov 7 my son and I hunted the rut and the deer were crazy all over the place.

The full moon occurred on the 14th. That put the 'seeking phase' a week or so before. The early does will start coming in then as well.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Year in/year out, I've always called the first week of November the avg peak of the rut time around my area of AA county. Obviously the rut slides back and forth around those dates, but the first week of Nov is usually a good bet to be in the woods.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Year in/year out, I've always called the first week of November the avg peak of the rut time around my area of AA county. Obviously the rut slides back and forth around those dates, but the first week of Nov is usually a good bet to be in the woods.

Bill Winke says to plan on being on stand Nov 4- Nov 14(or close to that). This is a general rule. Those days can be more defined fairly easily by watching the lunar cycle and weather reports.

The rut will be early this year(full moon on Nov 4th) and it will be fast and furious. That brings two problems; 1) we often experience warmer weather that time of year resulting in most action occurring after nightfall. Deer can not sweat, so they curtail there exertions to after dark. 2) early ruts mean bucks and does become interested in each other at the same time. This coincidence makes for a free-for-all for the deer. Lock down won't be far behind. Put these two situations together and one might think the rut never even happened.

I will be in a tree, all day, from 28 Oct to 5 Nov.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Bill Winke says to plan on being on stand Nov 4- Nov 14(or close to that). This is a general rule. Those days can be more defined fairly easily by watching the lunar cycle and weather reports.

The rut will be early this year(full moon on Nov 4th) and it will be fast and furious. That brings two problems; 1) we often experience warmer weather that time of year resulting in most action occurring after nightfall. Deer can not sweat, so they curtail there exertions to after dark. 2) early ruts mean bucks and does become interested in each other at the same time. This coincidence makes for a free-for-all for the deer. Lock down won't be far behind. Put these two situations together and one might think the rut never even happened.

I will be in a tree, all day, from 28 Oct to 5 Nov

The only difference is that you'll be hunting those days....:innocent0 ;) :lol2:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Ok, maybe someone can edumacate me on Deer behavior.
    I can see my feeder from my house so, about every 2 days I see the deer in the immediate vicinity of my home.
    I have 2 fawns and 1 doe that had been grouped together all summer. A 2nd doe had been in and out of the group about 75% of the time. All of Sept, that 2nd doe was grouped maybe only 10% of the time. The Game cameras confirm this even in the night captures.
    For the past 2 weeks, the 2 fawns have mostly been on their own. The mother doe is only with them about 1/3 of the time. They come feed then often bed down at the edge of my fence or somewhere in the field next to my home.
    Is the mother doe trying to ween the fawns prior to the rut?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    They are weened. They may still suckle, when Mom let's them, but all in all, they can live without the mother now. The mature does are probably feasting on acorns back in the woods.

Last edited:

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    The cool weather in late August/early Sept. really had them moving. The last two weeks my camera's see an occasional doe or two which is more than I've seen from my stands. Leaves and acorns are dropping but no early scrapes.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    IMG_1497.jpg Yeah they're carrying on like crazy. Im not seeing alot of chasing but the stags are moving good. Some of that has to be going back in the phrag depending where your at.
    Hopefully its all wound up next week for ML
    Three point here got tired and opted for a permanent nap this morning.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If you hit one of the does, they may still be in milk. Only one way to find out! Generally, though, the milk will dry up when they are ready to breed. I've seen does in milk as late as 2nd week in Nov.

I've only seen small signs of chasing behavior. Should start to get interesting very soon.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    One of these days I really want to hit the Eastern shore for early muzzleloader to pursue Sika. I’ve seen a few hinds out there during late rifle, but zero success so far.

Dunno, maybe I’ll go out there again for late season this year. Maybe Pocomoke this year. Neighbor and I have tried Nanticoke. I like the layout, but it seems over hunted. We both SHOULD have gotten white tail does 2 years ago, but both screwed up bad. Last year, it was near empty. I jumped a couple of hinds in a blizzard, but they were gone before I had a chance because I had my scope covers on and safety on. Took too long tumbling with it all.

Any ideas on Pocomoke and Sika hunting?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Go right below Vienna on the State land and get as close to the marsh/phragmites as you can. Elliots Island rd. The Chesapeake land at Henry's or even Best pitch. Get right at the edge of the phrag so you can see down into it. You can see the edge of the phrag in that picture, that's where they're at. You can catch them in the open woods but mostly right at dawn or only twilight for the most part, the phrag is where to find them. The state land is as good as any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom