• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I was thinking about getting a place away from the DC Metro area to do some hunting/fishing/hiking. I stumbled across a place with some reasonable prices in PA - it is called "Shade Gap, PA". Does anyone know anything about hunting in this area? I see there is a Lake nearby - anyone ever been there?

Thanks.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    You might try going up there some time during the hunting season and poking around gas stations early in the morning and any meat processors that afternoon. You should be able to meet some people who can give you some true local knowledge. I know there are a lot of deer in that area. My hunting dog found out the hard way that that area is apparently the southern limit of the porcupine's range...so personally I won't hunt there any more after a $900 vet bill!

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Thanks! Definitely, thinking about taking a road trip - it is just a couple of hours away for me.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Wife's family was originally from thereabouts. Grandfather born there. Several generations from Shade Gap, Black Log, Huntingdon, Orbisonia...etc. you get the picture. Snyder. Hoffmann. Bollinger. The bone orchards up there are littered with her ancestors.

Hunting used to be great there. Don't know about now. Would bet its still awesome.

Folks are nice...it's Appalachia...central Appalachia.

I'd stay away from state game lands for hunting.

I think you'll find plenty deer, turkey and squirrels.

Bean Guy

Apr 4, 2013
    Eldersburg
    My wife's family is from that area as well. Yes, the land is cheap compared to where you are coming from. Her father ran a hunting camp for years, a lot of guys came from out of state to hunt, they always managed to get a few deer every year. The challenge will be finding the land to hunt on, the land owners can be picky about who they let hunt, as many are hunters and don't want strangers on their land.

Raystown lake is the lake you refer to, its the largest lake in PA. Great place to power boat and I've seen pictures of huge bass in the local papers pulled from the lake.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I hunt a friends farm in Neelyton...just a stones throw from Shade Gap. There is also a lake at Cowans Gap State Park. Pretty area. Fyi if you want to visit the area for a couple days, Cowans Gap SP provides camping.
    Lotsa deer in the area. Lotsa coyotes too. They occassionally have trouble with predation. Hence they have 2 donkeys .

https://pennsylvaniastateparks.rese...roundDetails.do?contractCode=PA&parkId=880305

ivwarrior

Jul 20, 2010
    You might try going up there some time during the hunting season and poking around gas stations early in the morning

You haven't been to Shade Gap. There's 1 gas station....and it's probably not open early in the morning.... ;) Not sure about meat processors, I think most folks around there handle it themselves.

If you're looking to "get away from it all", Shade Gap is your spot. There's 1 gas station and a feed mill. A church outside of town. Not sure there's even a restaurant left that's still open...cell service varies between terrible and non-existent. Really not much more there than forests and fields.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom