• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    First time (ever) deer hunter in MoCo

Hi, everyone, I'm looking into hunting deer.
    Is there any place one can hunt deer in MoCo?
    I don't have a shotgun, nor a bow. I guess that limits the possibilities.
    Also, what deer can be shot? It seems to me that one must get two antlerless deer, before getting a antlered. Doesn't make sense to me, since that means we're killing does and fawns first and in larger numbers?
    Perhaps I need to take the hunting course first.

Last edited:

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Yea, your not hunting in MOCO for deer. Unless you have a muzzle loader.
    If you haven't taken a course, you need to unless you hunted before 1975, I think..

Sent from the 3rd Rock

Mendicant

Aug 11, 2015
    Baltimore/Silver Spring
    Because you do not have a shotgun or a bow, your options are quite limited, unless you travel to a different county. But if you do decide to get a bow, crossbow, or shotgun, there are a handful of public land options available. I have been on several good hunts in Seneca Creek State Park. I have a friend doing it tomorrow, but I will be in Patapsco in Howard County instead. You will need to buy the $35 managed hunt permit through the DNR in addition to the hunting license, but there are some impressive animals in there. Around 1,000 acres of that would also be available for black powder.

You also have the managed hunts through the MNCPPC, which I have done the last two years. The administrative work is on the burdonsome side- you have to submit an application with payment, do the Maryland shooter qualification each year, submit for a criminal background check, and pay for the lottery. But if you get selected, that is a crazy amount of fun! They close down the park and the employees drive the deer under your stand. You see some massive herds swarming past.

Quite close to Montgomery County is the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center and piles of deer are culled there every season.

Regarding the targeted deer, you can first harvest an antlered buck in any weapon season (archery, ML, firearms) in region B (which includes Montgomery County) for up to 3 total antlered deer. But if you want to take a second antlered deer in any one season, you must first harvest 2 additional antlerless deer, just to keep the herd even. But you are right that we end up harvesting large numbers of does and fawns. There are so many deer in parts of region B that the antlerless take is virtually unlimited. (During archery season, antlerless literally is unlimited. You could kill 100 or more does if you had the time and opportunity.) Also note that if you take an antlered deer in a managed hunt, it does not count against your state bag limit.

Good luck wherever you hunt!

Last edited:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    get a crossbow. You can pick one up that is accurate without spending too much. Then your possibilities multiply exponentially.

Deer are vastly overpopulated. They want you to kill as many does as possible to reduce the population.

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    During archery season, antlerless literally is unlimited. You could kill 100 or more does if you had the time and opportunity.

It makes sense, we do have lots of deer.
    I read on the internet that hunters are ashamed to take a button buck. I guess not here.
    Is there still a size limit, minimum size? I heard the young bucks are tastier.
    Will look into a crossbow.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    It makes sense, we do have lots of deer.
    I read on the internet that hunters are ashamed to take a button buck. I guess not here.
    Is there still a size limit, minimum size? I heard the young bucks are tastier.
    Will look into a crossbow.

The minimum size deer is 14 lbs and no spots.

Just kidding. They all devour the landscape and breed eventually and the little one are like veal.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you use your car, there is no limit, no closed season, all Sundays are legal and you can even hit them after dark.

Of course, no weapons are allowed while car/deer hunting.

Yes, this is a joke, in case anyone is wondering.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    You need to take a hunter safety course. It will explain all of the requirements and regulations. Check out the Maryland DNR website--you can do the entire academic section of the course online, followed by a 1/2 day in-person session where you will be required to demonstrate safe gun handling and I think some treestand safety stuff. After you complete that course, you will have a better understanding of how to hunt deer in Maryland (and all states), and lifetime certification that will allow you to obtain a hunting license in any state. Maryland whitetail hunting is one of the best kept "secrets." There are a ridiculous number of deer--if you learn the techniques to hunt them, you can get just about as many as you'd like.

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    You need to take a hunter safety course. It will explain all of the requirements and regulations. Check out the Maryland DNR website--you can do the entire academic section of the course online, followed by a 1/2 day in-person session where you will be required to demonstrate safe gun handling and I think some treestand safety stuff.

Thanks.
    I just finished my online course, and will take the field day next Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom