• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    I finally got a load developed for this rifle. It has turned in to a pretty decent shooter. I am currently running the 147 ELD-M at 3000 fps. My load is 56.5 grains of R-26 with an OAL of 3.000". The biggest setback with this cartridge is the brass. I first bought Hornady brass and it sucked. I wasn't getting consistent neck tension at all. Five pieces of the first 35 I played with would not even hold a bullet. It fell completely through the neck AFTER sizing. I was using a .290 neck bushing, which worked for the other 30, but I would have easily needed a .288 for the other five. Pretty inconsistent in my book.

I could see that it would want to shoot because I would get these phenomenal groups and then a crazy flier (1-1.5 moa out of the group). The chronograph helped when I ran some loads over it. I just couldn't figure out what was going on. I ordered Bertram brass and the problem all but stopped. Once fired/prepped Bertram brass started showing the rifle's potential. Fliers were gone and most groups were sitting in the .3-.5 range.

That's enough about the brass. I hear some really good companies are following suit and are going to be making brass so that will hopefully be a moot point in the coming months.

The rifle shoots well (.5 moa at my testing distance of 350) and the recoil is manageable (I do not run a brake). Can't give a lifespan of the barrel at this point, but hoping to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 rounds before it goes **** up. For unknown distance type stuff I can really see the advantage with this round. I'm getting 275 FPS faster than my creedmoor (I run the 147s in it as well) and I am not running hot loads in either. If you fancied a brake, I'm assuming the recoil would be negligible as well.

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    Both. I loaded up to 57.5 of reloaded 26, didn’t have any pressure, but the groups started to open back up. I like staying under max pressure and reloading my brass more than 3x. Lol. I knew anything above that had to be getting close so I stopped at 56.5. Most guys aren’t pushing much faster than 3000 with the 147/150 class bullet and I’m assuming for the same reason I’m not. Just to note, I must have a slower barrel because most folks are hitting 3000 FPS with 55-55.5 grains of 26.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Both. I loaded up to 57.5 of reloaded 26, didn’t have any pressure, but the groups started to open back up. I like staying under max pressure and reloading my brass more than 3x. Lol. I knew anything above that had to be getting close so I stopped at 56.5. Most guys aren’t pushing much faster than 3000 with the 147/150 class bullet and I’m assuming for the same reason I’m not. Just to note, I must have a slower barrel because most folks are hitting 3000 FPS with 55-55.5 grains of 26.

Gotcha. I am running RE-26 in my 6x47L and getting speeds over 3200 with no pressure signs using the Sierra 110's. I really like that powder. Was wondering what it could do in the PRC...

Kudos on the build. Definitely would like to know what your round count is when you shoot it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom