• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I don't think so. As I understand it, heavy ball is non-magnetic. This stuff has a steel jacket, from the web site:
    182grn lead core full copper plated steel jacketed Match bullet

if it's 180 grains or higher and FMJ, it's heavy ball. The characteristic heavy ball round was made with a mild steel core, giving the projectile an extremely long profile, and thus an extremely long bearing surface for the rifling to engage on. Lead projectiles are shorter since the lead is more dense, but still are technically heavy ball if they meet the two above stipulations of weight and jacket.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Here are some pictures of the "rusty spam cans" I purchased from Aim Surplus during their Black Friday sale. These went pretty quickly. I rolled the dice to see if I got something OK. I got a crate and both cans look pretty much the same. I took pictures of the one with a little more obvious signs of rust. The crate did not come with an opener so I had to dig one out. It may be hard to see in the pictures, but the headstamp reads: "188 77"

I opened the paper wrapper that was nearest to the most rusted corner. I saw no signs of water damage on the internal cardboard or on the wrappers. I didn't see any signs of obvious corrosion on the rounds themselves.

that copper washing is incredibly weather resistant. I put a few spend casings into my fish tank to see how long it would take to start them rusting through the copper.

After a month I got tired of waiting, pulled one out, and scratched it with a pliers a little to give the rust a place to start and get a foothold. Fast forward nearly a year, and the rust is only now starting to appear in the scratched areas, and nowhere else.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Just up for a couple more hours on GB ... but this C&R Star looks to be a good buy. It still has the clear Guardia Civil stamps on it. They're good shooters, and fill a hole in a Star collection. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=380121560

There's another Star BM model on GB ... with a "CSP" stamp. That's for the Cuerpo Superior de Policia, commonly known as, "la secreta". They used to be the plain-clothes national secret police force. I really like this model of Star, and the one that I have with CSP on it was clearly worked on by an excellent armorer. I don't know if that's an anomaly, or if they did it for all of the CSP guns, but its trigger pull is like butter!

If Santa hadn't already picked my pocket, I'd be on that one.

Last edited:

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Just up for a couple more hours on GB ... but this C&R Star looks to be a good buy. It still has the clear Guardia Civil stamps on it. They're good shooters, and fill a hole in a Star collection. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=380121560

There's another Star BM model on GB ... with a "CSP" stamp. That's for the Cuerpo Superior de Policia, commonly known as, "la secreta". They used to be the plain-clothes national secret police force. I really like this model of Star, and the one that I have with CSP on it was clearly worked on by an excellent armorer. I don't know if that's an anomaly, or if they did it for all of the CSP guns, but it's trigger pull is like butter!

If Santa hadn't already picked my pocket, I'd be on that one.

Well I bid on the first one and the price was rising , somebody wanted it more than me. On the plus side this will be my first "CSP" :innocent0

Thanks Machodoc

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Well I bid on the first one and the price was rising , somebody wanted it more than me. On the plus side this will be my first "CSP" :innocent0

Thanks Machodoc

Good job! With a little bit of detailed cleaning, that one should look really nice. I hope we find out that having trigger jobs done to them was a common practice among the CSP.

BTW - while there's not a whole lot online about that group, there's enough to give you a hint about them--especially if you can read a bit of Spanish. You did NOT want to cross them! People were known to accidentally fall out of the windows of tall buildings while in their custody, etc. They were disbanded eventually.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    I really like the star pistols and yes the trigger job would be nice but I have no complaints so far if not. It looks like it will clean up nice and that seller has more than a few listed at good prices.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I've been seeing a lot of steel cased russian ammo (Silver bear, etc.) pop up lately. Fingers crossed for some 9x18 mak to hit the shelves soon!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    saw some while trolling around on GB last night. 500 rounds for $550. what a steal huh?:sad20:

Mak? ouch.
    I think I paid $11 a box for 1000 rounds back in the early spring.
    Usually on ammoseek.com this is the cheapest ammo but as he says, not lately. If you pay $2-$3 more a box, just keep the brass and sell it off to reloaders if you want to penny pinch. I'd buy some. I can't shoot the Brown bear at the indoor range.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Mak? ouch.
    I think I paid $11 a box for 1000 rounds back in the early spring.
    Usually on ammoseek.com this is the cheapest ammo but as he says, not lately. If you pay $2-$3 more a box, just keep the brass and sell it off to reloaders if you want to penny pinch. I'd buy some. I can't shoot the Brown bear at the indoor range.

yup. 9x18, 500 rounds minimum bid $555. Wonder why there are no bids.:lol2:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=381014584

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    The 9x18 round is sooo easy to make out of 9x19 brass. It just takes a little time, and you want to mark and keep track of the brass that you cut down to make it. If you do much Mak shooting at all, this alone would probably justify buying a basic set of reloading and case trimming tools. Just sayin. When I was on Lee's site this past week, they had some excellent buys on factory reconditioned presses. (Lee Precision) I was tempted to buy another turret press, just so I could leave one set up for 9 mm all the time, since I tend to shoot a lot of that.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    SGAmmo 30 Carbine and other ammo...

Speaking of ammo, I bought AIM's last box of .30 carbine. Anyone know of other good sources?

Got this at about 2pm this afternoon.....

"500 Round Case - 30 cal Carbine FMJ 110 grain Prvi Partizan ammo PP30"
    $207.50.

Not sure about how good the price it but they probably have it. about 19 in stock as of now...2310 hrs.

They also got in several brands of 7.62x39 as well per the email as well as several different 12ga loads too.

Attachments

• img_3344.jpg
      img_3344.jpg
      50.4 KB · Views: 271

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom