• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    I have been seeing what is being advertised as an "automatic knife" made by Boker.

It comes in several models and is relatively inexpensive.

I am not a knife enthusiast so I ask is the Boker junk?

Is the knife a switchblade? I thought they were illegal.

I saw them on the internet.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Rmocarsky

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Boker is traditionally a high quality, carbon steel blade, knife maker in Solingen, Germany. Boker Tree Brand are pretty good knves. They're the only pocket knives I buy. Well, the last couple I bought. They don't seem to need replacing. They hold an edge much better than any stainless steel blade.
    Boker has also had plants in Canada, USA, and Mexico. They have started producing stainless blade knives in China. No shock, so do most.
    If it's a German made it's pretty high quality. Never bought a Chinese made one.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    It is a switchblade. I don't know about thier quality but Boker makes nice knives for thier price point.

You can buy it. Just not in Md. You can own it. You cannot carry it, not concealed or open carry.

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/maryland/

Pretty sure that you can open carry a switchblade as long as you can articulate a purpose for using it in a lawful manner. From the above link ...

A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner.

Based on another MD knife laws summary that I've read in the past, it wasn't clear whether self-defense is a reason (should your knife ever be inspected) that would be looked kindly upon ... vs use as a one-handed tool, box cutter, emergency seatbelt cutter, apple slicer, etc.

I also don't know how "open" the carry needs to be and if partially protruding from a pocket is sufficient or it needs to be clipped to something and fully visible.

Personally, while I've gotten switchblades out of state in the past, they're mostly a toy for me. I prefer my non automatic ZT or Spiderco knives for my (mundane) uses.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Pretty sure that you can open carry a switchblade as long as you can articulate a purpose for using it in a lawful manner. From the above link ...

Based on another MD knife laws summary that I've read in the past, it wasn't clear whether self-defense is a reason (should your knife ever be inspected) that would be looked kindly upon ... vs use as a one-handed tool, box cutter, emergency seatbelt cutter, apple slicer, etc.

I also don't know how "open" the carry needs to be and if partially protruding from a pocket is sufficient or it needs to be clipped to something and fully visible.

Personally, while I've gotten switchblades out of state in the past, they're mostly a toy for me. I prefer my non automatic ZT or Spiderco knives for my (mundane) uses.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I get it, I have always misread this to mean, "leave it at home". I"m changing my original post for correctness.
    The statute is clear as mud

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181213-233707_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20181213-233707_Chrome.jpg
      34.9 KB · Views: 417

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Boker used to be a premium brand, however they have outsourced most of their manufacturing to China. I have had some of the Chinese boker autos and they are ok. As soon as I had the cash I replaced them with Benchmade and Hogue autos. Basically, with Boker, it it is solingen then you're good, otherwise it is the same Chinese junk you can get anywhere.

If you are planning on just owning it as a toy or a novelty then it will be fine. If you plan on doing any type of work, or trusting your life to it, then look elsewhere, and don't cheap out

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Fidelity is correct. I was once arrested carrying a butterfly knife in Maryland. I was 18 at the time and told the arresting officer I had it for self defense. My lawyer told me that I should have said I used it to cut open boxes at work (I was working at Sears in White Marsh at the time) and I forgot to remove it from my pocket after work.

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    Cops can buy automatic knives in MD if I’m remembering correctly, the rest of us can’t. You can own buy carrying concealed is a sticky wicket. I’ll be honest, I’m wary of even carrying “assisted openers” even though by letter of the law they’re fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Cops can may buy automatic knives in MD if I’m remembering correctly, the rest of us can’t may not. You can own buy carrying concealed is a sticky wicket. I’ll be honest, I’m wary of even carrying “assisted openers” even though by letter of the law they’re fine.
    Fixed.

While, as always, I advocate breaking NO laws, one can buy these Boker autos online. Or pretty much any other auto. If I had a ton of extree cash, I may, or may not think about getting a Benchmade Infidel.

But since I don't, that is something that will never happen.

rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    OP here.

I tried to order a Boker automatic from bladehq.

I do not meet any of the criteria necessary for the product to be shipped from Utah to Maryland.

I called them and nope, they will not ship to Maryland unless at least one of their criteria is satisfied.

Rmocarsky

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    OP here.

I do not meet any of the criteria necessary for the product to be shipped from Utah to Maryland.

I called them and nope, they will not ship to Maryland unless at least one of their criteria is satisfied.

Rmocarsky
    While I again stress I advocate breaking NO laws, did they tell you that you had to send in documentation, or just aver you met any of the criteria?

:innocent0

rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    Eruby,

Once I saw that on the order form there were 4 or 5 sections to claim that grant you legal receivership of across-state-line shipping, I opted to stop there.

I do not know if one of these sections were checked whether or not proof would be required.

And on the phone they offered nothing other than "one of the criteria must be satisfied."

Rmocarsky

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Couple yrs ago overstock was selling hk auto knives via internet, no questions asked. Benchmade had dumped them after licence from hk expired.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    OP here.

Rmocarsky

Just buy one from any of the Virginia or Pennsylvania gun shows. They're all over the place at the shows.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Just buy one from any of the Virginia or Pennsylvania gun shows. They're all over the place at the shows.

There's a lady and another vendor who are always at the Gettysburg shows who have them.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    OP here.

Rmocarsky

You should have reminded BladeHQ they are breaking federal law by using USPS to ship their auto knives...just to see what they say.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    There's a lady and another vendor who are always at the Gettysburg shows who have them.

Yup. I see them at York, Harrisburg, and the Oaks every time I go. I saw many different models at Chantilly last week and Virginia forbids sale and possession. Saw lots of cops walking the show and lots of people buying auto knives. Apparently no one cares if they are purchased. The laws against autos are stupid and need to be repealed.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    You should have reminded BladeHQ they are breaking federal law by using USPS to ship their auto knives...just to see what they say.

Great idea! Screw it up for everyone else who ISNT nitpicky.

How exactly does that go down? It's their fault for asking some basic questions before purchase so it's time to make sure that what little freedom we have left gets taken away? So you can feel smug?

Worst idea ever.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Great idea! Screw it up for everyone else who ISNT nitpicky.

How exactly does that go down? It's their fault for asking some basic questions before purchase so it's time to make sure that what little freedom we have left gets taken away? So you can feel smug?

Worst idea ever.

I just find it hypocritical that a company will not sell to a citizen that is not of an "approved" group, but will violate the same law to ship USPS. And yes I want to hear their BS answer. Individual police, fire and EMS are not exempt from the interstate shipping portion of the law. Any citizen should be able to purchase a freaking knife without being made to feel like a leper because he doesn't belong to a group considered superior to you or I.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom