• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Anyone else here a big fan of fixed-magnification optics? I've been using them more and more on my rifle builds, usually 3x, 4x, 6x, or 10x depending on what platform they're going on. I like not having to worry about what level of magnification I'm at and always having the same eyebox when shouldering the rifle. I've also found that they tend to be much more compact and often weigh less than variable-power optics.

I guess you give up some flexibility vs a variable-power optic, but I feel like the simplicity outweighs that for me.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Fixed low power optics (scopes)are good for hunting in low to no light. Both eyes open stalking rifles too. That's what I prefer. Sometimes high magnification can decrease consistency on an unsupported rifle and for making long distance hits irons can have advantage for those with marksmanship skills as long as your eyes are still good. These are just my observations and may not work well for others.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    My irons don't have any option for adjusting magnification. Super low magnification too. :P

Says the dude with a scoped rifle as his avatar pic lol.

I like my fixed 3x for my trunk gun and red dot (1x) for HD. If I had to have 1 gun pull double duty it would be with a 1-6 variable though.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    While not typically my preference, lots to be said for fixed power.

You can pay for glass, and you can pay for mechanics. But nothing is free. You don't get the best of each at the same price.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If I was to re-scope all my hunting rifles, over half would be switched over to fixed magnification, mostly in the 5x-6x power range.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I've become a big fan of the SWFA SS 10x scope. I agree that sometimes simplicity just works!

+1

I've got this one my 50 bmg and it's good for the distances I'm shooting. I'm thinking about getting another for one more project.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I hunted for years with 4x scope on a bolt rifle-lot's of dead deer. No long range shots nothing over 200 yards 4x worked fine. Chris

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Pretty sure the 10x sniper scope was common across all branches for many, many years. They have rather recently gone to adjustables.

I like a Leupold fixed 4 or 6 for a hunting rifle.

Have seen articles from professional guides where they get concerned when a hunter shows up with a 3x9. Since so often, they don't have it set on the right power to make the shot when the time comes.

Trying to find something close at 9 power is not going to happen fast, if ever.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    My wife and I built matching ARs(that's true love right there) and we choose the Nikon P223 3x32 scope. We liked the compact size and simplicity. It's not too much magnification for close shots but just enough to make longer shots easier. Now I want to ditch my 3-9 scope and go with a fixed Leupold for my hunting rifle.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Didn't the Marine snipers for many years use 10x fixed scopes?

Less complicated, more rugged, cheaper. What's not to like?
    I think the early fixed Unertal and Fecker scopes were 8x to 10x and were effective to 600 yds. and had a small field of view. I think the last one I seen was or still is on the CMP auction and is 10+ Schmidt and Bender if I remember correctly.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    I think the early fixed Unertal and Fecker scopes were 8x to 10x and were effective to 600 yds. and had a small field of view. I think the last one I seen was or still is on the CMP auction and is 10+ Schmidt and Bender if I remember correctly.

I went to Scout Sniper School in 1985, and we were using Unertl 10x scopes. We also qualified out to 1000yds on a KD range. We had one Ranger in our class using an M21 with an ART 3x9. He had to switch to using his partner's (a Marine) M40 halfway through the class when it was clear he would not make the shots at 1000 with the M21.

I far prefer fixed power myself...probably because of the above experience. I used two scopes as a sniper. One was the Unertl and the other was a Nimrod fixed 6x. I *loved* the fixed 6x.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    The only fixed magnification optics I use are non-magnifed. I greatly prefer being able to adjust FOV and magnification. I can use my precision bolt gun for hunting and long range target shooting as well as in shorter range practical matches. I like being able to shoot short range with my 1-6 and then crank up to 6 to go long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom