Remington 700 AAC-SD .308, 16.5" or 20"??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Thanks for all the input. After shooting my 10/22 bull barrel off-hand this weekend, I can only imagine shooting a 308 heavy barrel off hand would be more Difficult

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I have been researching a bolt action myself, with going suppressed later. The 16.5 makes a perfect host.

I concluded that for shots under 500 yards the. 308 was a good candidate. Ammo was readly available to amd can be gotten at local resources. A 20 inch suppressed barrel is just to long for me. The 16.5 while losing 200 fps wont effect the shooting I plan to do with this platform.

Its also a cool looking little rifle. I gave the 16.5 inch rifle points just for being different than all the rest.

If I want to take a shoot above 500the yards I will get a 6.5 caliber platform. As the 6.5 cals. are running away at the matchs. Its hard to beat their ballistic coefficients and they shed such less energy than the. 308's.

OP also remember this. Once the special run of 16.5 are gone they are Gone.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It is not that they shed less energy, it is that they have less wind drift due to the velocity.

However, the 6 and 6.5 mm rounds are much more finicky as to load (powder, charge, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom