• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Good morning everyone. What's MDS' opinion on the vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24? My buddy Billymx48 and another co worker recently persuaded me to shoot in some local combat pistol and carbine/pistol matches. After a lil hesitancy, I obliged. I wish I woulda started sooner. At the last match, Billy let me use his Weaver Kaspa 1.5-6x32 with Zombie reticle...worked great and I wanted one. Unfortunately. Weaver no longer offers that same reticle. I stumbled across the Strike Eagle on sale (which ends in about 18hrs) and was wondering if it's worth buying. It will be used on an AR15 for informal matches(maybe formal in the future, who knows), plinking, and HD. The AR it will go on has an A2 front sight and flip up rear. Billy's Weaver mounted in a Geeenblob mount worked perfect and the front sight didn't interfere with my sight picture.
    Thanks everyone

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Do you have a link to the sale you found?

I have been interested in this scope since I first heard about it.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    The strike eagle is a good scope and yes you can't beat the Vortex warranty, but the Primary Arms 1-6 is has a better reticle and is basically the same scope. I believe they are priced at about the same. I have looked through the Strike Eagle and I own the Primary Arms. I think they are made at the same factory as they look exactly the same except for the logo and the reticle. I shot my Primary Arms out to 500 yds and the BDC reticle was spot on. Neither scope are you making adjustments on the fly, the turrets are crap. So that makes the reticle all that much more important IMO.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    The strike eagle is a good scope and yes you can't beat the Vortex warranty, but the Primary Arms 1-6 is has a better reticle and is basically the same scope. I believe they are priced at about the same. I have looked through the Strike Eagle and I own the Primary Arms. I think they are made at the same factory as they look exactly the same except for the logo and the reticle. I shot my Primary Arms out to 500 yds and the BDC reticle was spot on. Neither scope are you making adjustments on the fly, the turrets are crap. So that makes the reticle all that much more important IMO.

Thanks for the reply. Right now I'm finding the Strike Eagle to be $40 cheaper. If they're basically the same scope(I thought they looked like twins lol), then either should be fine I guess. How is PA warranty?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've been happy with my 1-6 Strike Eagle, pretty good short-mid range scope for the money, the newer 1-8 version is out too, haven't seen one, but if the optics are similar to the 1-6 not sure how useable the extra power would be, my 1-6 starts to loose contrast and brightness above 4X, still decent enough in daylight, but I rarely crank it all the way. Small turrets with low-pro caps, and adjustments are not all that exact, so it's basically a set-and-forget, does hold 0 pretty well though, just have to use hold-overs or the BDC instead of adjusting on the fly. Glass is good for the money, relatively bright and clear, but has some distortion, fish-bowl, a smallish eye-box, and is sensitive to focus adjustments. Vortex makes a lot of scoped without those issues in the higher /more expensive lines, the PST2 being a big step up, while still being somewhat affordable. Still get the awesome warranty, support, and factory accessories though.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I've been happy with my 1-6 Strike Eagle, pretty good short-mid range scope for the money, the newer 1-8 version is out too, haven't seen one, but if the optics are similar to the 1-6 not sure how useable the extra power would be, my 1-6 starts to loose contrast and brightness above 4X, still decent enough in daylight, but I rarely crank it all the way. Small turrets with low-pro caps, and adjustments are not all that exact, so it's basically a set-and-forget, does hold 0 pretty well though, just have to use hold-overs or the BDC instead of adjusting on the fly. Glass is good for the money, relatively bright and clear, but has some distortion, fish-bowl, a smallish eye-box, and is sensitive to focus adjustments. Vortex makes a lot of scoped without those issues in the higher /more expensive lines, the PST2 being a big step up, while still being somewhat affordable. Still get the awesome warranty, support, and factory accessories though.

Thank you for the reply. I'm trying to get the bestest cheapest lol

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    When I bought mine, it was only 3 years, but after checking the website it looks like they have switched to a lifetime warranty. I don't know how easily that is to use as I've never had experience with PA warranty service.

4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017

I agree with you that the PA reticle is better. Quality looks to be the same based on this AR15.com thread. They are both entry scopes, so the warranty won out for me.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/696577_1_6x24mm__Vortex_Strike_Eagle_VS__Primary_Arms_ACSS.html

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Took mine to the range and I have to say for the money very nice scope. A few minor adjustments and off to the races. Bought mine as a demo/used unit but when I got it it looked new in the box. It takes a little playing around to get used to the reticule coming from red dot/Eotech. Shooting steel at 200 yards with hits every time small/med/large plates. I like the dial up/down on the power very easy. I would buy again. Chris

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    The 1-6x is reasonably sharp for an entry level scope; the 1-8x though is about as soft as Chris Christies cheeks at 8x.

I've stated before that I own the 1-6x and feel it is cheaply made, but probably the best 1-6x in that price range....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom