• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    My cheapo spotting scope is not cutting it any more for my tired old eyes. Need something better to see 22 cal holes at 100 yards and other holes at 200-300.

Looking at Cabelas, the Vortex Diamondback seems to get pretty good reviews, and is at the top of my $$ limit I have set for one (499 for the angled eyepiece version).

this is strictly for range use. I think I would like the angled eyepiece although my current one is straight, and not sure why one would be preferred over the other?

Any thoughts good or bad on this model, and is the angled eyepiece worth the extra coin? THANKS

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...x-reg-diamondback-spotting-scopes/1579204.uts

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Angled vs straight will depend on how you shoot and is essentially personal preference. Each has pros and cons, largely related to humping it and what position your or it are in.

No feedback on the Diamondback, but I have a Razor. The eye relief is pretty typical (meaning short and gets much shorter zoomed in all the way) with some apparent CA at the edges. Resolution could be better IMO, but I might be a diva.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a Vortex Nomad and a Razor HD.

A $250 and a $1500+. The eye relief is better on the Razor, and if you need more, you can get a long eye relief eye piece.. And it is SO MUCH BETTER. Yes, it ought to. :)

Angled is typical with hi power shooters, as they can set it up to just turn their head to look into the scope. Mine are straight for spotter use with a two person shooter/spotter.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    I agree, sometimes life is too short for cheap optics... that said, I went cheap since my local range is only 100yards. This thing is more than capable and I bet respectable for 300 yards with 5.56.

I have the angled 20-60x80 but you can man up to the big dog 100mm:
    https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Ultima-60x80-Straight-Spotting/dp/B0002CTZ70?th=1

...all that said, at $500 I would rather find a used spotter like Bushnell Elite/HD or Kowa.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The adage of you get what you pay for really applies to spotting scopes.

VERY true.

I am VERY happy with my Razor HD. I got it almost unused for a good price, but still pricey.

But every time I use it, I smile. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom