• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    If one already owns a regulated handgun, I understand they don't have to take the HQL course. I just have to submit fingerprints to get my HQL. If so, where do I get the fingerprint cards and do I need to submit a photo as well? How do they ascertain I have a handgun? And how long does it usually take to get?

Did Gov. Hogan sign this insane requirement into law? :mad54:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Finger printing must be done electronically. No more paper

You fill in the model and serial number of an existing regulated firearm on the electronic form

This was a gift from Uncle Martin, like the rain tax

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Purchase with an HQL ?

I am about to 'exercise' my 2A right using my brand new MD HQL.

Question:

Does the 7 day waiting period still apply, or can I pay for and take my new handgun home on the same day after the background check goes through ?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    If one already owns a regulated handgun, I understand they don't have to take the HQL course. I just have to submit fingerprints to get my HQL. If so, where do I get the fingerprint cards and do I need to submit a photo as well? How do they ascertain I have a handgun? And how long does it usually take to get?

Did Gov. Hogan sign this insane requirement into law? :mad54:
    This has been law since October 1st 2013...

You’ll need to make an account here.
    https://emdsp.mdsp.org/egov/Login.aspx

You are training exempt, so you’ll enter in the make and serial number of a handgun you own that’s been previously registered with the MSP.

You’ll need Livescan fingerprints taken. When you get to the vendor, let them know you’re getting the prints done for the HQL.
    List of vendors here:
    http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/publicservs/fingerprint.shtml

You’ll plug the code that the vendor gives you into your application. After submission, the MSP have 30 days to get the card to you. You cannot purchase a handgun until you have the card in hand.

After you got your HQL, you’ll need to make another account in order to fill out the 77r form, which is entirely digital now.
    https://licensingportal.mdsp.maryland.gov/MSPBridgeClient/#/home

You’ll be given a PIN number at the end of the application. Give that to the dealer when you go to buy your handgun. You’ll fill out the ATF 4473 there.

Wait 7 days and come back to pickup your pistol.

This process keeps everyone safe, don’t you know?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

Question:

Does the 7 day waiting period still apply, or can I pay for and take my new handgun home on the same day after the background check goes through ?

7 day wait is immutable. That begins after you complete the transaction at the dealer.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy

Question:

7 day cooling off period still applies, regardless if this is your first or 100th handgun purchase.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    You will also go through another MSP background check even though you just went through one to get your HQL.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Every handgun purchase in MD is registered, via 77R. No registration of any long gun purchase, and no need to register anything that you legally own already. No grandfathered evil rifles can be sold/transferred in the state, I believe they can only be inherited (in MD) after previous owner's demise. Any new residents have (I think) 90 days to register all handguns, and any of the now-banned rifles that were legally purchased in another state prior to 1 Oct 2013. Any now-banned rifles acquired after that date are much too killy and cannot enter Maryland.

magwell

Mar 19, 2015
    When buying back your rights you may expect 3 to 10 days for approval and after that about 2 to 3 weeks for card to arrive by mail.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Doesn't have to be 20yr per se , disability retirement counts also . Also active or retired LE .

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    He owns regulated firearms before the stupid HQL law went into effect. And he somewhat recently bought an AR lower. From earlier posts it looks like all he has to do is get the fingerprints done.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Good question. I was wondering the same thing. I’d say within the past two years he bought it at Worth-A-Shot in millersville. I wonder if they made him do fingerprints then or something and he doesn’t remember. I never really thought about it till now.

Prior to that he hasn’t bought a pistol in 15ish years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom