• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Looking at some recently published load data from Sierra, the 77gr data is pretty much the same as we have been using in the .223. Other than using the really heavy bullets at mag length, I don't see the point of the Valkyrie.:sad20:

I mean, from all that I’ve seen, you are generally talking about 100fps faster than a hot 5.56 load as near as I can tell in the 75/77gr range.

Pulling up the barrel length tests, the federal 75gr TMJ is a muzzle velocity of 2912fps out of a 20” Barrel. And that is one with no gas system.

IMI 77gr razor core 5.56 is about as hot as it comes. Ive seen about 2790-2820fps average velocity out of a 20” barrel depending on the test gun from what I can find searching around.

Basically you can launch really heavy bullets and that is about it. 5.56 loaded on the hot side is damn close to factory .224v loadings. Now maybe it’ll prove out that 224v can really tolerate being loaded 100 or 150fps faster than it is being loaded now...but...

Most of the comparisons I see are using .223 Remington 77gr loadings which are likely loaded to more like 2650-2700fps at the muzzle and the same with Grendel comparisons they seem to be using weaker/lower BC loadings when doing comparisons.

Against hot 6.5G and hot 5.56, 224V seems to have an edge in ultimate long range performance (except 6.5G in wind drift which I like to bring up), but that is mostly because of those 90gr pills. Which ain’t nothing...but if you want to load lighter bullets the performance difference is small (and if you want to load lighter, 6.5 grendel is massively better when loading lighter pills in it than in 224V)

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    You guys are definitely talking me out of it for now at least unless I see a upper on sale at a price I cant walk away from.
    I think it's pretty awesome how in a thread about running 224 Valk, every post basically says for 98% of use cases to get into Grendel instead.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I think it's pretty awesome how in a thread about running 224 Valk, every post basically says for 98% of use cases to get into Grendel instead.

Ya and I have my new Grendel upper waiting for mags and build time. Its a good point. Its easy to contemplate these exotic calibers while you have a stable of other ARs.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I have a .223 Wylde AR that I want to load hot (Once I get my reloading setup set up) for 77gr and finished my Grendel build a month or so back. There's nothing I would use a Valkyrie for that I can't accomplish with either of those two. Otherwise, I'll just get out my .243 or 6.5CM bolt gun. I tried my best to convince myself I needed a Valkyrie, but I just couldn't do it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

It’s a bit of a flavor of the month. What it can do better than existing calibers is very niche. Basically shooting from 900-1200yds or some niche varmiter applications (light 6.5 rounds though are pretty damn good).

Not a lot of folks shoot that far at all or at least not on any kind of regular basis.

And as mentioned, if you really want something good at those 1000+he distances, reach for .243 or 6.5cm and you’ve got something with far superior performance. Lower recoil or .224V has a lot to recommend it, but frankly at those long ranges the extra recoil of 6.5cm isn’t a big deal for scope picture and what not and to be a D about it, you have to be pretty pansy not to tolerate it just fine in terms of discomfort and muzzle blast.

Want extreme range go 300wm, 300wsm, .338LM or any of a number of other magnums and super magnums.

Or hey, .25-06 rocks something fierce too and recoil isn’t bad at all.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    PSA has a clearance on blemished 20" Valkyrie uppers for $349, BCG and CH included, free shipping.

Ok, I just jump into the .224 Valkyrie game. I picked up one of the $349 PSA Blem 20" uppers. I'll be damned if I can find a blemish though. What intrigued me was not only the long range performance, but the fact that it drops into the AR15 platform. So I dropped it on one of my lowers that has the Larue MBT trigger. Picked up a few 6.8 mags. Still waiting for my SWFA 16X42 SS scope to be delivered and then will mount it up on a Warne 20MOA Extended Skeletonized MSR Mount. Will report back once I get a chance to get it out to the range.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    That's because the only problem .224 Valkyrie solves, it doesn't solve particularly well. I can't wait for the resurrection of .22 Cheetah as the bad-ass .308-necked-to-.224 round that will turn the world on its head.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ok, I just jump into the .224 Valkyrie game. I picked up one of the $349 PSA Blem 20" uppers. I'll be damned if I can find a blemish though. What intrigued me was not only the long range performance, but the fact that it drops into the AR15 platform. So I dropped it on one of my lowers that has the Larue MBT trigger. Picked up a few 6.8 mags. Still waiting for my SWFA 16X42 SS scope to be delivered and then will mount it up on a Warne 20MOA Extended Skeletonized MSR Mount. Will report back once I get a chance to get it out to the range.

Sounds interesting. PSA's blemishes are usually code for inventory reduction. Seen many more blems on a factory colt.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    I have 6.5 Grendel actually 264 LBC 20” 1*8 twist BLACK HOLE WEAPONRY. The round is awesome. It is Accurate and can push the right bullets past 1,200 yds supersonic at sea level. Great hunting combo. You will not be sorry. As other have said Valkyrie just does not do it to justify another rifle. Quite frankly I would rather go 22 Nosler. For me though I can not justify it as well. The Grendel wins hands down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County

Ok got it all together and took it to the range for the first outing. Only shot 1 full box the Federal 75 grain cheap stuff. Did not take to long to get close at 50 and then moved over to 100. Shot a few groups at just over an inch. Another at .6 and this was the best at .304. It's a shooter! Have not tried the Federal 90 grain match or the Hornady 88 grain match yet. It was bloody hot and my shooting glasses kept fogging up.

Attachments

• IMG_2128.jpg
      IMG_2128.jpg
      69.6 KB · Views: 207
    • IMG_2143.jpg
      IMG_2143.jpg
      63 KB · Views: 149
    Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Want to build it when you slide over next time? Get that AR upper lapped up all nice and purdy? You can even use my bore scope, just don't tell Doc. :lol2:

Why you gotta put me in the middle?

Oh, and I found out the hard way that BCM uppers are too tight to handle the lapping tool.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ok got it all together and took it to the range for the first outing. Only shot 1 full box the Federal 75 grain cheap stuff. Did not take to long to get close at 50 and then moved over to 100. Shot a few groups at just over an inch. Another at .6 and this was the best at .304. It's a shooter! Have not tried the Federal 90 grain match or the Hornady 88 grain match yet. It was bloody hot and my shooting glasses kept fogging up.

The picture of the target is rotated 90 degrees left???? The group was 1.5 high at 100.

Intriguing...……….might have to watch for those blems and get an upper if cheap enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom