• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sounds like they want to hire "The big guns" instead of the little gun that showed up before the court when they lost. They must be really nervous and afraid this could end up before SCOTUS since if the En Banc court overturns the ruling then their will be a circuit split. I wonder if Frosh knew when he called DC and asked the AG for DC, basically sit down and shut the F*** up on the ruling not realizing he helped create a circuit split or he realized it and did not give a da**.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    They must be really nervous and afraid this could end up before SCOTUS since if the En Banc court overturns the ruling then their will be a circuit split.

There's already a circuit split. DC Circuit and 4th Circuit, for one. No matter the outcome of en banc, someone is going to be requesting certiorari at SCOTUS. Hopefully it'll be granted, finally.

If en banc is granted, then we already know the outcome in 9th Circuit.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I don’t think the 4CA decision counts as a split because DC was decided after CERT was denied in the 4th decision.

There are others however.

IANAL

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    DC and the 9th (currently) are against 'good reason.' DC created the split, finding 'good reason' unconstitutional in Wrenn and that matters a ton, as the DC circuit is highly influential.

Peaceful John

May 31, 2011
    They must be really nervous and afraid this could end up before SCOTUS since if the En Banc court overturns the ruling then their will be a circuit split.

Would not make strategic sense to do imperfect work before the en banc panel, thus (nearly) assuring an overturning and circuit split. How might that question be addressed?

Asking for a friend.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Yep I don’t think Woollard can be considered because CERT was denied before Wrenn or the 9CA decision.

From my layman's perspective, there would appear to be a clear split, regardless of SCOTUS denying CERT.
    1. 4CA says Good and Substantial is Constitutional = Binding Precedent for all courts in the 4th Circuit
    2. DCCA say Good and Reasonable is Unconstitutional = Binding Precedent on all courts in the DC Circuit.
    3. If two circuits decide substantially similar case issues in vastly different ways, that would appear to be the classic definition of a circuit split. Just because Woollard was denied Cert doesn't mean that the case ceases to hold water for determining a split and could still be cited as a reason for asking for SCOTUS intervention due to a split decision.

Not a lawyer, either; this makes sense to me as a layperson based on how "circuit splits" have been explained to me by others and by reading I have done.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I don’t disagree but I was under the impression that SCOTUS doesn’t consider previous CERT denials when deciding if s split is current or not. Regardless now splits exist with Young and Wrenn, so the point is moot now

But DC decided not to seek CERT because Frosh begged them not to.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    From my layman's perspective, there would appear to be a clear split, regardless of SCOTUS denying CERT.
    1. 4CA says Good and Substantial is Constitutional = Binding Precedent for all courts in the 4th Circuit
    2. DCCA say Good and Reasonable is Unconstitutional = Binding Precedent on all courts in the DC Circuit.
    3. If two circuits decide substantially similar case issues in vastly different ways, that would appear to be the classic definition of a circuit split. Just because Woollard was denied Cert doesn't mean that the case ceases to hold water for determining a split and could still be cited as a reason for asking for SCOTUS intervention due to a split decision.

Not a lawyer, either; this makes sense to me as a layperson based on how "circuit splits" have been explained to me by others and by reading I have done.

^^ Correct

Since DC decided to not petition the SCOTUS, there was no vehicle to resolve the split.

Since Hawaii is so rambunctious not wanting to lose, they may be the ticket to get in front of the SCOTUS.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Filed order (DIARMUID F. O'SCANNLAIN, RICHARD R. CLIFTON and SANDRA S. IKUTA): The State of Hawaii’s motion to intervene pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 2403(b), filed on August 16, 2018, is DENIED as unnecessary. The State of Hawaii is, and remains, a party to this appeal during the pendency of any en banc proceedings, since Young filed a notice of appeal with respect to the district court’s dismissal of his claims against both the State and the County. While we dismissed the appeal against the State, such dismissal is not effective until the mandate issues in this case. See Fed. R. App. P. 41. We sua sponte extend the time for the State of Hawaii to file a petition for rehearing or rehearing en banc until September 14, 2018—the current deadline for the County of Hawaii to file any such petition. Judge Clifton dissents from the denial of the unopposed motion to intervene. He would grant it. [10993822] (AF)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom