• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    It must be built to spec. It must be made to be as reliable as possible.

My ideal SHTF rifle is a spec AR-15 for many reason. It is accurate, easy to shoot, very low recoil for follow up shots, and powerful. I believe in follow up shots regardless of caliber, so I don't buy into the whole bigger caliber thing. Also it is a light weapon as well as the ammunition.

My SHTF rifle is a Bravo Company 14.5" Midlength Lightweight AR-15 with an EoTech 512 Holosight, MBUIS, extra batteries in the pistol grip, and plenty of pmags loaded with XM193. More to come though...

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I hadn't given too much thought to SHTF rifles because I figured if the world fell apart most confrontation would be inside of 50 yards so the AR's and AK's would do. I have a couple .300 & .308's bolt guns that I can reach out several hundred yards with but the rounds load down from the top. The detachable magazine models would have been much faster to reload. I do have a Bushmaster AR style .308 that groups nicely at 100 yards but I haven't been able to try it further yet. With 20 round mags that would be the 50-100 yard deterrent.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    I hadn't given too much thought to SHTF rifles because I figured if the world fell apart most confrontation would be inside of 50 yards so the AR's and AK's would do. I have a couple .300 & .308's bolt guns that I can reach out several hundred yards with but the rounds load down from the top. The detachable magazine models would have been much faster to reload. I do have a Bushmaster AR style .308 that groups nicely at 100 yards but I haven't been able to try it further yet. With 20 round mags that would be the 50-100 yard deterrent.

A top-loader like a Mauser '98 or '03 Springfield can be reloaded pretty darn fast assuming good quality stripper/charger clips are used.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    A top-loader like a Mauser '98 or '03 Springfield can be reloaded pretty darn fast assuming good quality stripper/charger clips are used.

It's true. Ever hear of the Mad Minute? It's done with Enfields, which I happen to own a few of.

Yeah... if you're defending a trench in France circa 1916. ;)

I think I'll borrow a camera tonight and show you what a real rifle looks like, sonny.

Last edited:

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun

Attachments

• Candidates.jpg
      Candidates.jpg
      83 KB · Views: 204
    • Miss-Philippines-2010-0-500x331.jpg
      Miss-Philippines-2010-0-500x331.jpg
      39.2 KB · Views: 211

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    In response to the original question...that is why I built my punisher AR
    Bushmaster 7.62X39 upper in an AR with High cap Mags.
    easy to get lots of ammo. AR accuracy.
    Shoots like an AR too - not an AK

They are nice, but shifting back to the topic at hand - I would have to go with an AK-47. They take a beating, can be neglected, abused, and will keep on firing. They are simple, ammo plentiful and have a decent punch.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    For excrement hitting the fan, drum fed AK is perfect combination of sustained fire and power. BAR mag fed pimptactical Remington is a good heavy rifle and the 10-22 can handle foraging and soft threats.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    To the OP... My Standards for a SHTF rifle:

1- Reliability - The rifle has to go bang every time I pull the trigger.

2- Accuracy - I'm not looking for bug-hole groups, but I think it needs to reasonably put down a target at 400 meters.

3- Power - Enough knock down power to neutralize a threat

4- Capacity - I like the idea of carrying spare mags... 30-rounders, but you didn't specify WHAT SHTF scenario...

5- Caliber - As others have said... everyone has their preference, but a commonly available round is mine. I'd stick to .22LR; 5.56; or 7.62.39... maybe .308

That said, my first choice is my AK-47 Yugo underfolder. It has eaten all ammo and is super easy to keep clean. I can carry a reasonable amount of ammo and ballistically the caliber is on par with a 30-30 so it could be used to take deer sized game in a pinch. My next choice is my AR-15... I can carry more ammo and it's more accurate than my AK.

Since you didn't specify what scenario... am I defending my home with a rifle for a short period of time or do I need to travel somewhere on foot over an extended period with my family in tow... I figured either of these two rifles would be suitable.

These would do in a zombie scenario too... however, for Terminators I'd have to have a Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 watt range.............. ;)

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    As stated before, I only have AK's in 7.62x39.In a perfect world and I had infinit ammo they would be my SHTF rifle,but I think an AR in the .223/5.56 would be easier to find ammo.
    I originally thought 308 would be, but weight,well close to same as an AK, not that neither are to heavy, but than I fall back to the AK platform .
    I am seriously considering going to an AR platform just for ammo accesibility for a SHTF scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom