• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TEN-X

Aug 16, 2011
    Prince Frederick MD
    Wanetd a bolt gun to shoot IMI 556 77 OTM. Very accurate in all my gas guns.
    Bought Howa Oryx 223 1-8 twist that came with an accuracy guarantee of sub MOA.
    Scoped it with a new Bushnell Nitro 4-16. All groups 2'' or more 100 yds.
    IMI 77 otm, Black Hill 69 otm, Fiocchi 50 red tip, 77 and 69 Sierra bullets Tac handload. Nothing even close to MOA. Sent it back. They returned it with a hand written note saying that Horn. Black 75gr shot Moa. No target. So, I shot it at my home, range 5 rds with that load at 50 yds 2 1/4"

Called them and said it didn't matter if it shot for them, it doesn't shoot for me. They said "send it back". I said no, they had their chance and that I now have a $990 boat anchor. They also claimed that a gunsmith shot the rifle, but then another rep later said the a local Swat team member shot the rifle (right). Just ordered a Lother Walther .224 1-8 blank and will have Tripple River Gunsmiths rebarrel it. About another $600 over the cost of the rifle. I have a gas gun with a Lother Walther 1-8 barrel that shoots sub MOA so it is not my marksmanship.
    I also saw a guy on the internet that bought a 6.5 Grendell that did not meet the guarantee. Caveat Emptor, Howa!!!!!!!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Not showing a target after an accuracy RMA is pretty meh. I had to return my Ruger Precision Rifle in 308 for some work, and Ruger returned it with a target showing like a .3" group at 50yds. (I love that rifle!)

I will point out that it is possible - not likely, but possible - that your scope was the problem due to a mounting issue or similar. Did you ever try it with a different optic?

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Called them and said it didn't matter if it shot for them, it doesn't shoot for me. They said "send it back". I said no, they had their chance and that I now have a $990 boat anchor.

Other than a warning about quality, this right here is the dumbest shiite I've seen. They said send it back and you refused. GTFOOH

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Called them and said it didn't matter if it shot for them, it doesn't shoot for me. They said "send it back". I said no, they had their chance and that I now have a $990 boat anchor. They also claimed that a gunsmith shot the rifle, but then another rep later said the a local Swat team member shot the rifle (right). Just ordered a Lother Walther .224 1-8 blank and will have Tripple River Gunsmiths rebarrel it. About another $600 over the cost of the rifle. I have a gas gun with a Lother Walther 1-8 barrel that shoots sub MOA so it is not my marksmanship.
    I also saw a guy on the internet that bought a 6.5 Grendell that did not meet the guarantee. Caveat Emptor, Howa!!!!!!!
    So, I guess I don't understand. They offered to take it back, you told them "no," and you're going to throw more money at a rifle that's questionable to begin with? I mean, a new barrel/chamber "might" fix it, but you might also be throwing good money after bad. I'd probably have cut my losses, sent it back and gotten my money back.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    So they asked you to send it back so they could fix/replace it, you refused, and are now pissed at them and talking sh*t about them. LMFAO. What a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    You are shooting IMI 5.56 in a .223 Remington Chamber boltgun??? Normally that combination causes problems. Blew primers in my M-700 a few decades back when I tried it...

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I have to agree with the others here. This seems like a bad optic or ring issue. When you installed the scope, did you put it on with a torque wrench? The rings could also be too tight.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Howa have traditionally been awesome rifles. You try having someone else shoot it? They said they shot it and it was MOA, and offered to take it back twice to fix any issues that may exist. It doesn't seem like howa is the unreasonable party here. If it's 1-8, you may also try it with lighter grain loads...especially in .223 instead of 5.56. It's likely the thing will be lights out with the right load through it. If dropping grain weight doesn't fix it, and you've had other people shoot it to verify it's not you, then take them up on the offer and send it back. This time, just request that they include their test target and I'm sure they'd do it.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    They offered to fix it, you said no. It's on you . Good luck.

P.S. Can you shoot 1MOA?
    He says he can.

I think that 1 MOA is reasonable for anyone with fairly decent shooting fundamentals.

I've shot .5 MOA, and even got lucky a couple of times and shot .25-.3 MOA, although I considered those just getting lucky more than actually shooting that well. The rifle I did that on was on was good, but it wasn't specifically tuned to be able to shoot that way - it was a stock Remington 700 in 223 with a heavy varmint barrel and a synthetic stock, topped with a Burris Fullfield II, 3x9x40. Most of my groups with it were in the .75-1 MOA range, so I looked at those tighter groups as being lucky aberrations rather than a showcase of my skills.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You sure your glass/mount isn't FUBAR?

I’ve had that. Shot a Sako Forester only a few rounds and then mounted a Bushnell 3-9x40 on it (Trophy XLT). I just couldn’t get anything to shoot well. Called the guy I bought it from. Always shot great with the Nikon x6 on there. I recall it shooting pretty well for the one box of ammo I shot through it with the Nikon. I finally slapped a new scope on it and it was shooting 1MOA and not 2.5.

Sent the scope back to Bushnell and they sent me a new one a few weeks later. New scope has worked great ever since.

My Howa in 6.5G shoot fantastic. Still working out hand loads for it, but it is well sub MOA with the couple factory loads I’ve tried and even Wolf steel shoots well, about 2MOA. Only issue I see is it’s slow for a 20” bolt gun. Running about 50fps slower than my 18” AR. I’ve seen a few other guys mention that, and that it “speeds up” after 100-200 rounds. Only thing I can think of is excessive groove clearance or something and it gets filled in a little tightening the gas seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom