• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    As of last night, only five of the 10,000 publicly searchable comments included the word "amnesty." With the ATF hiding their solicitation for comments on an amnesty, and if one would elicit compliance, in the supporting PDF file, they seem to have done a good job suppressing that course of action.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Still got a couple of months to go. Anyone know what the record is for most comments ever?

For ATF regulatory comments? Or comments on a regulation in general? I think the record for most on any regulation was FCC’s net neutrality removal.

Though that was only about a million real comments. About 5 million were just bot generated and about 2 million were from stolen identities from the lobbyist companies working for the cable industry (which the cable industry knows nothing about. Trust us).

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    For ATF regulatory comments? Or comments on a regulation in general? I think the record for most on any regulation was FCC’s net neutrality removal.

Though that was only about a million real comments. About 5 million were just bot generated and about 2 million were from stolen identities from the lobbyist companies working for the cable industry (which the cable industry knows nothing about. Trust us).

I was wondering about any proposed regulation. Forgot about the net neutrality removal.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland

I wrote my own personal comment instead of copy and pasting a generic letter. Makes them work harder having to read custom comments, looking for the crazies.

damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    [Kev308];6349692 said:
    I wrote my own personal comment instead of copy and pasting a generic letter. Makes them work harder having to read custom comments, looking for the crazies.

That's what I did. I provided about 8 different bullets in my comment. Several associated with being unable to just SBR the pistol in MD due to OAL requirements i.e. "You're forcing me to modify the upper at a gunsmith to make OAL requirements in the state so my only option is to convert it to a rifle or turn it in..."

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Not a bad start, only need a few more I think.

Only if their intention is to actually put forth new legislation to stop the ATF, and that also means getting Nancy Pelosi to agree and to get a majority of her lefty gun-hating caucus to agree and also pass such legislation.

That ain’t gonna happen.

This will have to fought in court.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Only if their intention is to actually put forth new legislation to stop the ATF, and that also means getting Nancy Pelosi to agree and to get a majority of her lefty gun-hating caucus to agree and also pass such legislation.

That ain’t gonna happen.

This will have to fought in court.

Nancy is going to die soon. I wished Elijah Cummings would just die and that came worked. Every time I see that first star in the night I wish the same for Nancy...:)

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    So I pulled up US v Thompson Center regarding their kit containing a receiver, a pistol barrel, pistol grip, rifle stock, and rifle barrel, which ATF declared was an SBR and TC sued to have their $200 SBR tax returned.

From Scalia and Thomas's opinion in the plurality:
    For the definition of “rifle” requires that it be “intended to be fired from the shoulder,” § 5845(c), and the only combination of parts so intended, as far as respondent is concerned (and the record contains no indication of anyone else’s intent), is the combination that forms a rifle with a 21-inch barrel. The kit’s instructions emphasized that legal sanctions attached to the unauthorized making of a short-barreled rifle, and there was even carved into the shoulder stock itself the following: “WARNING. FEDERAL LAW PROHIBITS USE WITH BARREL LESS THAN 16 INCHES.” Since I agree (for a different reason) that the rule of lenity prevents these kits from being considered firearms within the meaning of the NFA, I concur in the judgment of the Court.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    107,500 comments and climbing. Just over 70 days remaining. I'm thinking that we break a quarter of a million comments on this one.

Maybe so, but these public comment periods aren't a vote on the proposed regulation. They're a chance for the public to point out flaws in the regs, such as conflicts with existing statutory, common, or physical law, or how the intent of the reg will not be met by the proposed implementation.

Quality, not quantity, counts.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Maybe so, but these public comment periods aren't a vote on the proposed regulation. They're a chance for the public to point out flaws in the regs, such as conflicts with existing statutory, common, or physical law, or how the intent of the reg will not be met by the proposed implementation.

Quality, not quantity, counts.

And quite frankly is there anything that says they can just ignore the comments anyway?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    And quite frankly is there anything that says they can just ignore the comments anyway?

To me, I see it as nothing more than a pressure release valve. Let the minions get it off their chests.
    We'll do what we(.gov) want anyhow.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    It looks like Midwayusa has removed all of their braced pistols and all but one of their braces for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom