• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And...? I’m still not sure how that makes it functionally inferior given where it is in the gun and the role it plays.

It is sign that the spring is changing and it might be a good idea to change it.

It does not mean that it will not function.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    How many of your 40 posts have you seen this topic rear it's ugly head?
    To be fair, he has a join date of 6 years ago - it's possible that he lurks and reads, but chooses not to post a lot, so he probably has seen it come up more than once.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    To be fair, he has a join date of 6 years ago - it's possible that he lurks and reads, but chooses not to post a lot, so he probably has seen it come up more than once.

Yep. I thought of that. Just throwing a 1 liner out there is sort of unusual if you rarely post. Might as well have some quality to your 6 times a year comment.

Sloopjonb

Feb 5, 2016
    Me too

He's claiming that most LE rotate mags every 90 days? TE]

I have had my Hi Point in the closet for for 5 years and shot it last weekend behind my daughters house never failed. I have a 107slim next to my chair in a 1 gun safe its been there 4 years both mags loaded. Both cheap guns both never have failed to fire both have original mags. My best gun is a S&W 380 EZ easy to carry also.

bigD

Ole Cowboy
    Jun 6, 2012
    I purchased a Sig 365 a couple years ago. All 3 sizes of mag springs were so tight that without aid of a leveraged loader the last two rounds were difficult with just thumbs and the last round nearly impossible, even Mr. Muscles. So I bought a loader and loaded one of each size to max and left them. After little over 2 years shot them empty and on reload, my thumbs felt no loss of spring tension, sad to say in this case. So I keep them loaded to capacity and my thumbs do thank the loader. The 3 that I use regularly and have been cycled 100s of times still have their same tension also.
    Funny if you want fatigued springs you dont get them?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    And as far as mag springs cycling, I probably shot 40k plus rounds during training using the same 3 mags. Not an issue. I think the average Joe would be fine.

Scott P

Funny...like a clown
    Jan 29, 2013
    St. Mary's
    Magazine rotation or not too has got to be one of the most controversial topics of conversation on this whole site. Most people think that their way of doing it is the only way to do it and will make a complete ass out of themselves to drive their point of view home. I say do whatever the hell works for you, and I'll do the same.

Mkay............... 8>)

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Magazine rotation or not too has got to be one of the most controversial topics of conversation on this whole site. Most people think that their way of doing it is the only way to do it and will make a complete ass out of themselves to drive their point of view home. I say do whatever the hell works for you, and I'll do the same.

Mkay............... 8>)

The problem is that people spout BS and claim it as fact. This really isn't an opinion matter. Metallurgy is a fact. Magazine rotations are the essential oils of the gun world.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I just saw part of a YouTube video about this (forget to save a link), but the guy was talking about the metallurgy and creep. It seems, for creep to be at all significant, the storage temperature needs to be about 50% or so of the melting point.

SO, if you store your mags at over 500 degrees, it would be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom