$1060 for CMP IHC Garand, is it worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    todbiker

All I can add to the good advice you've already received in this thread is I agree. A CMP Garand is worth the price they ask - and more. The service grade I purchased back in 2011 for $800 would sell for much more today, It's a fine shooter and not for sale.

4570 and I will be attending the CMP AMC class together in August. The four day class was ~ $1000 each + our expenses to get there and back. The rifles we will build to bring home are another $1,030 each for CMP Specials. But they will be well worth it. Especially since we will have built them ourselves.

He who hesitates on a good Garand today, will pay much more tomorrow...

;)

Attachments

• Dsc03649.jpg
      Dsc03649.jpg
      78.2 KB · Views: 315

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    todbiker

All I can add to the good advice you've already received in this thread is I agree. A CMP Garand is worth the price they ask - and more. The service grade I purchased back in 2011 for $800 would sell for much more today, It's a fine shooter and not for sale.

4570 and I will be attending the CMP AMC class together in August. The four day class was ~ $1000 each + our expenses to get there and back. The rifles we will build to bring home are another $1,030 each for CMP Specials. But they will be well worth it. Especially since we will have built them ourselves.

He who hesitates on a good Garand today, will pay much more tomorrow...

;)

Attachments

• hes right you know.jpg
      hes right you know.jpg
      54.2 KB · Views: 295

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    The nicest Garands I've ever received were all Springfield or H&R service grades. Chasing Winchesters and IHCs isn't worth the effort IMO. They're all mixmasters anyways.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    By rights, the HRAs should command a premium. There were fewer made and quality is the highest.
    For a long time, IHCs were scarce here, perhaps because many ended up in Iran, or rusted away in South America. If more IHCs keep turning up, values may drop. There is nothing inherently more desirable about an IHC as a shooter, unless it has an LMR barrel.

HRAs may be the smart buys.

But any Garand is a smart buy...

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    The nicest Garands I've ever received were all Springfield or H&R service grades. Chasing Winchesters and IHCs isn't worth the effort IMO. They're all mixmasters anyways.

I got an C&R way on the tail end of things and picked up a few things before they skyrocketed. In hindsight, like with most things, I wish I had picked up Garands and M1 Carbines years ago, even though they seemed much more pricey than other surplus rifles. Unless I win the lottery, getting a complete collection of M1 carbines ain't happening, but picking up this IHC will give me a complete group of Garands. We fought a couple wars with mixmasters, I'm ok with that.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I think the last price increase was about January 2015, when they rolled "free shipping" into the price, along with a small amount more.
    There was a bigger increase about August 2014. I got one last Service Grade at the old price, I think $630 or so.

The IHCs back in 2014 were $925 and $975 for field and service grades, respectfully. If memory isn't messing with me.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    There's at least four different variations of IHC Garands. Each has a different marking on the receiver...the "postage stamp" which were receivers provided my Springfield Armory to help IH get production on track...the "gap letter"...the "arrowhead" and I forget the fourth. Collectors want examples of each. Many, if not most IHC Garands didn't get issued to US forces...they went elsewhere and were rarely seen in the US for many years.

But you're right...an M1 is an M1 for what it can do and was designed to do.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Collectors want examples of each. Many, if not most IHC Garands didn't get issued to US forces...they went elsewhere and were rarely seen in the US for many years.

Did not know that about the IHC. Good info thanks, now I know what the collector appeal is. I for one don't have the space to collect Garands.

OP - you did not say if you were looking to collect or to shoot. If you want a shooter, I would just get a Service Grade H&R for $750. IMHO that is a great value. If you want to collect - different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom