• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    Rick’s near Connowingo,
    Rick has done a few for me and my family. You want to deal with Rick or Wyonnia they are both good people.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    +1 for Calvert Firearms. Henry Calvert is a GREAT guy and is a honest and fair dealer. He may be a bit hard to get ahold of on the phone...but keep trying.

I just called Henry and He reports that he is going out of Business effective immediately as well. It's a sad time for FFL access in Cecil as well as being a gun owner in MD.. :sad20:

He mentioned a "Jeff Powell" in the Elkton Area. Anyone know anything or contact info?

jlowe23

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2014
    Cecil County
    I just called Henry and He reports that he is going out of Business effective immediately as well. It's a sad time for FFL access in Cecil as well as being a gun owner in MD.. :sad20:

He mentioned a "Jeff Powell" in the Elkton Area. Anyone know anything or contact info?

If you need something shoot me an email or PM. I am doing a "little" stuff now and should be able to help you out.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

I've known Henry for 30+ years. He is a good guy. I'm sorry to see him leave the business. I wonder what prompted him to close?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Are you doing a storefront or Home ? I'm waiting on a storefront in South Chesapeake City to be completed to start my FFL. Two storefront possibilities in Elkton both fell through.

Home, but not for retail. It's for Gunsmithing.

Was ATF the reason Elkton fell through or was it just the locations? I'll be just over the bridge outside Chesapeake City.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Just had a VERY interesting experience with an FFL mentioned in this thread.

I shoot somewhere in the range of 9 to 10K rounds a year between practice and NSCA competition, I routinely see both the ULTRA safe and then those whom you really need to keep an eye on while shooting or even being in proximity to them. I'm an NRA RSO but far from the nervous Nelly type who points out every single thing about someones handling practices........

THAT BEING SAID. :o

I was just an a auction where McCool was the FFL. Prior to the start of the auction he went over some basic stuff, fact that you need an HQL, can't be a felon, etc. He explained how you'd need to come to his place to transfer the gun, little bit on locks, etc. Condescending doesn't begin to describe the attitude anyone daring to ask a question was shown. He explained that he was the only FFL present and that he would be bidding on some guns as a buyer that he may have interest in.... (more on that later).

Here's were schit went south.

1) He has a KNOWN felon (convicted thief, robber) holding up guns as their being auctioned off. I'm sure this individual is clean and on the right path and all now, but.... it's common knowledge he's generally up to no good and can't be trusted. I'm not talking old stuff, I'm referring to thefts and shoplifting within the past year. If the audience was warned not to bid if they're not able to buy, why do we have a prohibited individual handling and showing us the guns? Oddly, this person shares the same address as the FFL (according to MD Case Search).

2) ALL guns, both long gun and handgun alike had closed actions. Every....single.....last.....one. None were opened, ALL were passed around to the few people helping to display them. Pretty constant muzzle sweeps with the handguns, little better on the long guns but still some dead meat considering these are 100% closed action firearms they're passing around to one another.

4) The bullschit about him "bidding on guns he was interested in"? Nah, they were merely guns he owned that he couldn't sell and wanted to try his hand at auction. This was clearly evidenced by the fact that he was nodding and motioning towards and older female that was standing directly in the area where the guns were being shown while the bidding took place. He had a particular interest in a little .380 pistol and then in another AR (type) rifle, both of where run up by him (the older female) and one lone bidder in the back, presumable an actual buyer. Very interesting that the bid he (she) won on the pistol resulted in the helper that was holding up the gun turning directly to her, handing her the pistol which she promptly placed in a jacket pocket. Very odd,.... I didn't see anyone else being HANDED the guns they won immediately for them to place in a pocket for safe keeping.......:sad20:

Essentially what you have there is a full on shill bidder, right in front of everyone driving up the bids on the behalf of the seller himself. Pretty schitty way of running a no reserve style auction if you ask me.

Wild stuff I tell you,..... I know better now.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Moral of the story.....

Use RICKS in Conowingo if you want to be treated with respect and deal with people who know guns. The younger guy whom someone here got a bad feeling from is no longer with them, must have hit him on a bad day, he was usually super cool and friendly when I dealt with him.

For the guys down towards Chesapeake, hopefully someone in that area will open up a small shop. Sarges Market would be perfect (currently for sale too), I remember when C&D Sports (terribly run store) was open. I used to love going in there as a kid to check out all of their stuff, bought my very first gun from them. I believe there is room for a full on retail store in that area, there is a nice somewhat captive working class audience that would assume pop in to a local store rather than go to Cabelas or the like.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    I get your drift. I delt with McCool a couple of times and swore off for more accommodating FFL ever since. Once was for two rifles that I won at auction "Racines", the other time was for a new pistol transfer. I won't be back.

glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    Just had a VERY interesting experience with an FFL mentioned in this thread.

I shoot somewhere in the range of 9 to 10K rounds a year between practice and NSCA competition, I routinely see both the ULTRA safe and then those whom you really need to keep an eye on while shooting or even being in proximity to them. I'm an NRA RSO but far from the nervous Nelly type who points out every single thing about someones handling practices........

THAT BEING SAID. :o

I was just an a auction where McCool was the FFL. Prior to the start of the auction he went over some basic stuff, fact that you need an HQL, can't be a felon, etc. He explained how you'd need to come to his place to transfer the gun, little bit on locks, etc. Condescending doesn't begin to describe the attitude anyone daring to ask a question was shown. He explained that he was the only FFL present and that he would be bidding on some guns as a buyer that he may have interest in.... (more on that later).

Here's were schit went south.

1) He has a KNOWN felon (convicted thief, robber) holding up guns as their being auctioned off. I'm sure this individual is clean and on the right path and all now, but.... it's common knowledge he's generally up to no good and can't be trusted. I'm not talking old stuff, I'm referring to thefts and shoplifting within the past year. If the audience was warned not to bid if they're not able to buy, why do we have a prohibited individual handling and showing us the guns? Oddly, this person shares the same address as the FFL (according to MD Case Search).

2) ALL guns, both long gun and handgun alike had closed actions. Every....single.....last.....one. None were opened, ALL were passed around to the few people helping to display them. Pretty constant muzzle sweeps with the handguns, little better on the long guns but still some dead meat considering these are 100% closed action firearms they're passing around to one another.

4) The bullschit about him "bidding on guns he was interested in"? Nah, they were merely guns he owned that he couldn't sell and wanted to try his hand at auction. This was clearly evidenced by the fact that he was nodding and motioning towards and older female that was standing directly in the area where the guns were being shown while the bidding took place. He had a particular interest in a little .380 pistol and then in another AR (type) rifle, both of where run up by him (the older female) and one lone bidder in the back, presumable an actual buyer. Very interesting that the bid he (she) won on the pistol resulted in the helper that was holding up the gun turning directly to her, handing her the pistol which she promptly placed in a jacket pocket. Very odd,.... I didn't see anyone else being HANDED the guns they won immediately for them to place in a pocket for safe keeping.......:sad20:

Essentially what you have there is a full on shill bidder, right in front of everyone driving up the bids on the behalf of the seller himself. Pretty schitty way of running a no reserve style auction if you ask me.

Wild stuff I tell you,..... I know better now.

Just curious, was this at Racine's

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom