Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2021, 06:25 PM #1
MG-70's Avatar
MG-70 MG-70 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MoCo
Posts: 130
MG-70 MG-70 is offline
Member
MG-70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MoCo
Posts: 130
is there a max barrel length for an AR pistol?

I know it's too early to be thinking about this, but I'm trying to figure out how best to use a couple of AR receivers bought as a receivers and assembled as braced pistols using KAK braces on smooth receiver extensions.

Q1: Is there a max barrel length allowed in MD for pistols without a brace?

Q2: Is there a max barrel length allowed for a "MD SBR"? I believe 29" or "More than 29"" OAL to be the shortest.

Q3: Is OAL measured from end of receiver extension to end of muzzle, not counting muzzle device unless it's permanently attached?

If my legally assembled pistols are redefined by the Left as an SBRs, then my plan is to simply remove the braces, as opposed to paying the tax stamp to help pay for Uncle Joe's horrible spending of other peoples' money. If removing the braces still makes the kitties sad, then I'll just build some more non-offense heavy barreled rifles, or buy some Chinese throwing stars or something.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!

PS. I wonder if I held on to the tubular pipe insulation and single point slings...if they only focused their efforts on enforcing the laws currently in the books they'd make a much greater positive contribution to society!
__________________
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” Ian Maclaren
MG-70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 08:02 PM #2
erwos's Avatar
erwos erwos is offline
The Hebrew Hammer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 11,998
erwos erwos is offline
The Hebrew Hammer
erwos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 11,998
IANAL:
1. I believe the answer here is "no".
2. Yes. That would be a 15.999" barrel.
3. Rifles are measured from the the tip of the muzzle (not muzzle device) to the end of your stock fully extended, or to your receiver extension, if you don't have one. MD measures the same way as the Feds. There has been some debate about how the Feds measure guns with braces, and I believe it is "fully collapsed".

Personal opinion, but form 1 SBR is the way to go.
__________________
Things I love: bullpups, mag-fed shotguns, Glocks-not-made-by-Glock, .458 SOCOM, 6.5 Grendel, giving my opinion
Things I hate: .40S&W, KeyMod, AR pistols with buffer tubes, anything with an arm brace, fad-of-the-day long-range calibers
erwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 08:05 PM #3
outrider58's Avatar
outrider58 outrider58 is offline
My pronouns? IT of course
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 33,292
outrider58 outrider58 is offline
My pronouns? IT of course
outrider58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 33,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG-70 View Post
I know it's too early to be thinking about this, but I'm trying to figure out how best to use a couple of AR receivers bought as a receivers and assembled as braced pistols using KAK braces on smooth receiver extensions.

Q1: Is there a max barrel length allowed in MD for pistols without a brace?

Q2: Is there a max barrel length allowed for a "MD SBR"? I believe 29" or "More than 29"" OAL to be the shortest.

Q3: Is OAL measured from end of receiver extension to end of muzzle, not counting muzzle device unless it's permanently attached?

If my legally assembled pistols are redefined by the Left as an SBRs, then my plan is to simply remove the braces, as opposed to paying the tax stamp to help pay for Uncle Joe's horrible spending of other peoples' money. If removing the braces still makes the kitties sad, then I'll just build some more non-offense heavy barreled rifles, or buy some Chinese throwing stars or something.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!

PS. I wonder if I held on to the tubular pipe insulation and single point slings...if they only focused their efforts on enforcing the laws currently in the books they'd make a much greater positive contribution to society!
Q1) Not that I'm aware of.

Q2) 29" is the minimum requirement for a center-fire, semi-automatic SBR's over all length. There is no maximum length, although once your SBR reaches or passes 16" barrel length, it is no longer considered an SBR. SBRs in general are governed by barrel length except in MD where they have a minimum length requirement(it's stupid).

Q3) Mind you, there is no minimum length requirement for pistols. They can be as short as you want.
SBR's, as previously enumerated, are measured from the terminal(permanent) muzzle to the end of the stock at its fully extended length.
__________________
Any comments made by me are made with the intent to spur discussion only.
Proceed on your own accord...
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 08:10 PM #4
erwos's Avatar
erwos erwos is offline
The Hebrew Hammer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 11,998
erwos erwos is offline
The Hebrew Hammer
erwos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 11,998
One other thing: in MD law, your gun is an SBR due to configuration, not due to paperwork. So this thing people want to do where they register their AR15 as an SBR and then build it however they want with an 16" barrel because "it's an SBR" is not a workaround to the HBAR requirement. Just getting ahead of that.
__________________
Things I love: bullpups, mag-fed shotguns, Glocks-not-made-by-Glock, .458 SOCOM, 6.5 Grendel, giving my opinion
Things I hate: .40S&W, KeyMod, AR pistols with buffer tubes, anything with an arm brace, fad-of-the-day long-range calibers
erwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 08:16 PM #5
outrider58's Avatar
outrider58 outrider58 is offline
My pronouns? IT of course
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 33,292
outrider58 outrider58 is offline
My pronouns? IT of course
outrider58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 33,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwos View Post
One other thing: in MD law, your gun is an SBR due to configuration, not due to paperwork. So this thing people want to do where they register their AR15 as an SBR and then build it however they want with an 16" barrel because "it's an SBR" is not a workaround to the HBAR requirement. Just getting ahead of that.
Exactly. SBR= barrel shorter than 16"
__________________
Any comments made by me are made with the intent to spur discussion only.
Proceed on your own accord...
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2021, 09:45 AM #6
Pinecone Pinecone is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 25,986
Pinecone Pinecone is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 25,986
One thing, the 29" minimum is not just for SBRs. ANY semi-auto, centerfire rifle needs to meet that minimum length.
Pinecone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2021, 06:38 PM #7
MG-70's Avatar
MG-70 MG-70 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MoCo
Posts: 130
MG-70 MG-70 is offline
Member
MG-70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MoCo
Posts: 130
Thank you all for the clarifications!

I'm still unsure whether OAL needs to be over 29" or whether 29" makes the cut for a MD SBR. Anyone know the shortest 5.56 AR barrel length, Milspec 6-position receiver extension, and Magpul CTR combination that makes the cut?

Also, the stock in it's fully extended position requires further research in coming up with a suitable solution, if I decide to join the SBR owners group. I know Voltr has longer receiver extensions, and I've seen some Chinese samples on ebay as well.

I need to research the intricacies of having an SBR, other than the $200 tax stamp, the wait for the paperwork approval, and the need and expense of having someone engrave the lower with my personal info. I know there are some travel restrictions, the need to request permission to travel out of state (?), but I don't know what happens if I move out of the state, for example. I'm not one bit worried about the gov knowing what I own; they've known for years, they probably know more about what I have in the house than my wife does, and she's the quiet, nosey, type.

This year, I sold a 9mm pistol upper and Hahn mag adapter that I'm pretty sure would've passed the 29" MD rule, thinking of replacing it with a 8.5"-9" upper to go with a Foxtrot Mike dedicated Glock lower. I know I'll be able to shoot braceless pistols (with just the receiver extensions), but if I want to future proof them for eventual MD SBRs, then I have to make sure they make the 29" OAL. These days decent handguards cost more than lower receivers and barrels, and since I'm a cheap bastard, I like to plan things out. With my luck, and the current administration, I'll probably end up having to assemble something very similar to what I sold.

I'm not trying to bypass any Hbar rules; I'm trying to stay ahead of the possible new ones. As for Hbars, "I got f'ing Hbars coming out of my F'ing ears!"

I hope everyone has a safe and pleasant weekend!
__________________
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” Ian Maclaren
MG-70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2021, 07:10 PM #8
outrider58's Avatar
outrider58 outrider58 is offline
My pronouns? IT of course
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 33,292
outrider58 outrider58 is offline
My pronouns? IT of course
outrider58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 33,292
A 10.5" barrel will get you past the 29" mark with a standard carbine 6 position buffer tube. There are gyrations you can go through to get a shorter barrel, but for 5.56, you really don't want to go shorter than 10.5"

Using a standard 6 position tube, in order to reach the coveted <29" mark, you will need at least an 11"+ 9mm barrel. That's just the way they measure out. You could overcome that with other buffer tubes though.
__________________
Any comments made by me are made with the intent to spur discussion only.
Proceed on your own accord...
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2021, 07:34 PM #9
MG-70's Avatar
MG-70 MG-70 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MoCo
Posts: 130
MG-70 MG-70 is offline
Member
MG-70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MoCo
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
A 10.5" barrel will get you past the 29" mark with a standard carbine 6 position buffer tube. There are gyrations you can go through to get a shorter barrel, but for 5.56, you really don't want to go shorter than 10.5"

Using a standard 6 position tube, in order to reach the coveted <29" mark, you will need at least an 11"+ 9mm barrel. That's just the way they measure out. You could overcome that with other buffer tubes though.
That's what I had on the upper I sold, an 11" Ballistic Advantage barrel. My understanding is that when measuring for a handguard, you should subtract 1/2" from the OAL of a 9X19 barrel to make up for the chamber, which is machined out of the barrel, as opposed to a separate extension.

Thanks again for the quick reply!
__________________
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” Ian Maclaren
MG-70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2021, 12:16 AM #10
Biggfoot44's Avatar
Biggfoot44 Biggfoot44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 22,138
Biggfoot44 Biggfoot44 is offline
Senior Member
Biggfoot44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 22,138
No Maximum bbl length for Pistols , the T/C Contender is 16.25 in bbl.

No. Max bbl length for SBR in Md ,but there is a potential Catch- 22 between State and Federal . A centerfire Semiauto with 16 in bbl , but OAL greater than 26 inch , but less than 29.0 inch . Illegal as a Rifle in MD , but not meeting either Federal criteria to be SBR .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2021, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service