Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 15th, 2021, 08:18 PM #1

Optic Recommendations Glock 40 MOS - 10mm

Hi friends - first time poster - long time listener.

Was curious if anyone had first hand experience with an optic on their Glock 40 MOS? Was looking at Trijicon RMR or Leopuld Deltapoint. Primarily going to use this for hunting (hogs + deer). Not planning on shooting anything past 100 yards and the areas I hunt are more like 50 yard shots. I've got a Leopuld FX on my current deer/hog rifle and love the quality of the glass - but am open if anyone has experience with another manufacturer.

Thanks!
benjaminporter.dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2021, 10:20 PM #2

Been using a Burris fast fire 3 on mine for the last few years, but recently picked up a holosun to give a try since it has a lot more features and is a reflex site so its a bit clearer to my eyes.
lax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2021, 10:55 PM #3

I have a G40 MOS as well and I’ve been procrastinating. Partly because I spend money on other “priorities” and partly because of the mounting options. I do know that at some point, I’m getting a Trijicon SRO for mine. I just ordered an FCD mounting plate and also want to try a CHPWS plate too. But more to your question, for my use of the pistol (target, hunting, plinking) I think the SRO is a great quality optic. I’m sure there are other budget optics depending on what you want to spend as well as your intended use. But I usually lean toward the higher end stuff.
Ski169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2021, 11:19 PM #4

Check out Sage Dynamics torture tests on optics. Here is one on the RMR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yzpJBrLU5U The RMR withstood multiple drops onto concrete with only cosmetic damage and never stopped working. The SRO, while offering a much bigger sight window, was shattered and non-op after the first drop. SRO might be abetter choice for comps, but maybe not so much if you need to depend on it. YMMV

"Cogito, ergo amatum sum."
Lt. Col. David Grossman

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
H. L. Mencken
Winged Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2021, 06:49 AM #5
LARGE Caliber

LARGE Caliber

I will second the CHPWS plate for any Glock MOS mount. I have one on my G17 and the quality is awesome. I am running a holosun 507C.

I am happy with the setup for the money spent.
454shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2021, 07:13 AM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winged Pig View Post
Check out Sage Dynamics torture tests on optics. Here is one on the RMR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yzpJBrLU5U The RMR withstood multiple drops onto concrete with only cosmetic damage and never stopped working. The SRO, while offering a much bigger sight window, was shattered and non-op after the first drop. SRO might be abetter choice for comps, but maybe not so much if you need to depend on it. YMMV
Since you brought up Sage Dynamics, I want to point out the they do a video on the SRO. And it is said several times, to the point of being comical, that the SRO is not for duty use. I wouldn’t say that you may not be able to depend on it, but it certainly isn’t as rugged as the RMR. That’s why I recommended it based on intended use. But I certainly wouldn’t discount it as a viable optic. But I couldn’t imagine the G40 being used in a “duty capacity” either. I see the G40/SRO combo more than adequate as a woods gun setup or competition, target, plinking setup or even HD if necessary. There are certainly better optics, even on the budget end of the spectrum, for a duty use type optic.
Ski169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2021, 07:31 AM #7
N00b

N00b

RMRcc
MSP Certified Handgun Instructor
MSP Handgun Qualification License Instructor
MSI Member
CCW Collector
Kevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2021, 07:33 AM #8

I have a few red dots and use the DeltaPoint on my G34 which is I believe similar in size to the G40. I cannot compare it to the RMR but it is very solidly built. The frame which houses the glass is two layers thick. There is an inner frame which holds the lens and then a thicker outer frame which I believe is intended to absorb impacts. I’ve got some nicks on mine but It’s never been dropped on concrete.

I also have a Vortex Venom which was about 40% less expensive than the DP and it looks like it’s about 40% less rugged. The aluminum frame which holds the lens is about much thinner. While this allows for a wider sight picture I think it’s obviously less durable.

From a sight standpoint they are both pretty good and get the job done. Like others have mentioned if this is just going to be something you use 5-10 times a year then you may want to save money and go with the lighter duty optic.

Let us know which direction you end up going and take a minute to introduce your self in the new member introduction page.
Honorable people with a good work ethic and strong character have shaped our communities and nation more so than presidents and congressmen. The crisis of character we see in our political leaders is a symptom of our nation's sickness not the cause for the disease.
ToolAA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2021, 07:37 AM #9

I was on the fence with the RMR and Deltapoint for a M&P CORE. The 5 year warranty from Trijicon versus the Lifetime from Leupold did it for me.
Reloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2021, 07:37 AM #10

I have an RM09 on mine. The 1 MOA dot doesn’t obscure much and is easy to use for good overs and hold unders. I haven’t been able to shoot it past 50yd yet though.

ken792 is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns

Tags
10mm, glock 40 long slide, mos