Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Edged Weapons
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 15th, 2021, 10:45 AM #1

My Benchmade broke

I apologize in advance. This is mostly me just venting my frustation, but Im also wondering if this has happened to anyone else here.

I have the beautiful 943. Last friday I noticed that the pressure needed to pull the axis lock back was unusually light. The lock also felt like there was sand in the action. Upon further inspection, I found that one of the Omega springs had snapped in two. What the heck, man? Its less than 2 years old. I have read in other forums that this happens, but chalked it up to the owners doing something silly. Well, it happened to me and nothing silly was done. Honestly, I'm kinda taken back that such an expensive knife has such cheap/fragile locking springs. I know MANY axis lock knives have come out of their factory with no issues, but I didnt get those knives. I got this one. That broke when I needed it. Ive never had my Buck 110 break on me and they are $50. I never had my Victorinox Swisschamp break on me and they are $70. I never had my Leatherman Wave break on me and they are $100. My almost $200 knife broke. And I had to pay to ship it back for warranty. Yes, I know they will fix it. I know they will return the knife in excellent condition with a nice new sharpening job done on it. I also know that my experience is an exception, not the norm for Benchmade knives. But in my own little world, my first almost $200 knife shouldn't have to be on its way for warranty work. Still, I cant wait to get it back. I have not found a knife yet that feels as good as a 940/943 series in the hand. Ok my rant is over. Im sorry.

On a side note, there is a brand new Spyderco Para 3 on its way to me. Seems like it has less tiny, fragile parts.
Matt, the gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2021, 10:53 AM #2
Missed it by that much

Missed it by that much

I have a couple of Benchmade. Lost a screw for the clip and couldn't get through to them for a replacement. Sourced one from the internet but not exact same head. After the gun cutting up crap, I decided no more. Now buying Microtech. Awesome. More expensive but more better.
Old March 15th, 2021, 11:11 AM #3

I think I bought this one just before I found out about all the gun crap. I still want a standard 940 but that will be it for Benchmade for me. I hate that I love this knife so much. Im not sure I should even look at Microtech if they are more than Benchmade! lol The 943 and now this Para 3 is a major stretch for me. $200+ for a knife, in my opinion, is just asinine. Honestly the <$200 price of my 943 and this new Para 3 is asinine too. But I guess we cant help what we like.
Old March 15th, 2021, 11:51 AM #4

Can't say I wouldn't be pissed. If my Lone Wolf Knives Longhorn ever dies, I don't know what I'll get.
+Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

+A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2021, 12:16 PM #5
Missed it by that much

Missed it by that much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt, the gunslinger View Post
I think I bought this one just before I found out about all the gun crap. I still want a standard 940 but that will be it for Benchmade for me. I hate that I love this knife so much. Im not sure I should even look at Microtech if they are more than Benchmade! lol The 943 and now this Para 3 is a major stretch for me. $200+ for a knife, in my opinion, is just asinine. Honestly the <$200 price of my 943 and this new Para 3 is asinine too. But I guess we cant help what we like.
Yes, I love my Crooked River (that's the one that lost a screw). I picked that up from A1 uniform when the found NOS lost in a cabinet. Good deal. My BIL got me turned on to Microtech. They are expensive but they hold their value. I can generally sell it for what I paid as long as I don't abuse it. The side folders are the cheaper (relative) options. MT owner's son started Heretic knives. Slightly cheaper and reportedly possibly better.
Old March 15th, 2021, 12:36 PM #6
Enthusiast

Enthusiast

I own somewhere in the realm of 60+ Benchmades with a good portion being Blue Class limited runs, and a few Gold Glass. Benchmade knives ARE very well made knives, and while I've never had an omega spring break (yet), when it does I know BM will stand behind the repair. I have used their warranty service and life sharp services for others issue though - no complaints.

All man made things will break at some point, but it is the "make of the man" who stands up to the task to make it right.
crolfe1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2021, 03:04 PM #7
For great Justice

For great Justice

Have bought a couple dozen standard and limited production Benchmades over the last 30 years or so. Problem is they have been suffering from some bonehead decisions recently. Started around 10 years ago when they pretty much purged any dealer not following their BS MAP price fixing, then jacked up their prices 20%+ across the board. Then it seemed quality took a crap, grinds got uneven and sloppy, screws protruding through the liners, and then they decided it was a good idea to make a big deal out of destroying seized guns as a Woke PR move. Most of my folder purchases over the last few years have been Spyderco or ZT as a result, they have MAP pricing, but deals can be found, and IMO a better quality vs price ratio. They do take care of things under warranty, and their blade replacement program is great, but they won't send out small parts besides clips, and still have to pay to ship it back. Have had a single Omega spring break on a high mileage Griptilian, and bought some spares from eBay for a couple bucks to have on hand. I do like the axis lock, and you can find a couple other companies that produce them by other names being the patent expired, or locks that function similar like Spyderco's Ball bearing lock.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2021, 03:40 PM #8
Do Right

Do Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootin the breeze View Post
I have a couple of Benchmade. Lost a screw for the clip and couldn't get through to them for a replacement. Sourced one from the internet but not exact same head. After the gun cutting up crap, I decided no more. Now buying Microtech. Awesome. More expensive but more better.
Sent a Microtech for service over a year ago, and can't get them to respond with any update. Great when they work, they cost a lot, maybe some day I will have mine back.
Roksfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2021, 03:46 PM #9

I had an omega spring break a few years ago (after owning the knife for over six years) and had to send it back for warranty. It’s dumb they can’t just send that little spring or even an Axis lock for me to install myself.
ken792 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2021, 04:17 PM #10

I just realized this morning that the 943 was the only folding knife with a pocket clip that I currently own. I have to admit. This is my first work day without the 943. Despite having my Wave with me, I still feel naked. I cant wait to get the Para 3 or my Benchmade back. I imagine that the Para will get here first. I have no clue what the current turn around is.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Edged Weapons