Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Shotguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2021, 07:14 AM #1
71Chevelle427's Avatar
71Chevelle427 71Chevelle427 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,992
71Chevelle427 71Chevelle427 is online now
Senior Member
71Chevelle427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,992
Question Thoughts about modifying mag tube for mag extension

Someone I know grabbed a new, semi auto 12 gauge.

There's videos of this same shotgun being modified for home defense use.

Exact mag tube extension, pictured below.

The mag tube, where the nut holds the forend on, is peined over on it's entire inner diameter, to hold the spacer and tube spring from flying out (at least that's my guess?)

The video states to "cut off" 2 threads, which would eliminate the "pein" and then allow swapping the follower, the spring, and also allowing the extra shells to easily clear that (now gone) obstruction. I am a "mechanic", so that idea doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

My (potential) method is going to be to use a carbide bit, and remove the peined over section, which would not lose any threads/length, of the existing tube, if that makes sense?

Just wondering if there's any feedback/thoughts from anyone who has actually done this modification.

And I am hopeful, that this thread doesn't somehow get turned into a cooking, or oil change thread, lol.

p.s. The mag tube extension is getting installed no matter what. I'm not concerned about voided warranty.
Attached Images
 
71Chevelle427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2021, 08:00 AM #2
Semper Noctem's Avatar
Semper Noctem Semper Noctem is online now
Desk Rabbit
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 3,880
Semper Noctem Semper Noctem is online now
Desk Rabbit
Semper Noctem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 3,880
I've drilled out the peended detents on an 870 to install an extension, but never on the models listed in the screenshot. Either way, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Use a dremel to smooth out the hole on both sides, hit it with some cold blue or Brownells oxfo and shoot it. Pics or it didn't happen.
__________________
"Why? Because AMERICA, that's why."
Semper Noctem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2021, 08:56 AM #3
71Chevelle427's Avatar
71Chevelle427 71Chevelle427 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,992
71Chevelle427 71Chevelle427 is online now
Senior Member
71Chevelle427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Noctem View Post
I've drilled out the peended detents on an 870 to install an extension, but never on the models listed in the screenshot. Either way, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Use a dremel to smooth out the hole on both sides, hit it with some cold blue or Brownells oxfo and shoot it. Pics or it didn't happen.
Thanks for reply.
I do hope to document the mini "build". The mag tube extension should be here today, and the adjustable stock, tomorrow.
71Chevelle427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2021, 09:02 AM #4
byf43's Avatar
byf43 byf43 is offline
SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern Maryland ("Chuck County")
Posts: 8,870
byf43 byf43 is offline
SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
byf43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern Maryland ("Chuck County")
Posts: 8,870
My youngest son bought a Citadel "Boss Hog" (conventional stock) 12 ga semi-auto.

The procedure you're describing is exactly what has to be done, to install the Carlson's "Benelli Nova" magazine extension.

IF he really wants the extension put on, I'll have to do it, with him helping.
(He can turn a wrench, but, he's not confident enough to this job.)

There's a couple of youtube videos that show the installation.

Here's one:
__________________

With regard to reloading:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff7mm 04/28/2016, 07:32 PM
Dealing with stuff that can cause catastrophic failure in your firearms, and injury or death to you and those in close proximity. I treat every step as if my life depends on it.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." - H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2021, 09:03 AM #5
Bountied's Avatar
Bountied Bountied is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 2,280
Bountied Bountied is offline
Senior Member
Bountied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Noctem View Post
I've drilled out the peended detents on an 870 to install an extension, but never on the models listed in the screenshot. Either way, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Use a dremel to smooth out the hole on both sides, hit it with some cold blue or Brownells oxfo and shoot it. Pics or it didn't happen.
Yeah I did this on an 1187. The tube just needs to be made flush and smooth on the inside to add the extension. If the Nova has a peened/rolled section to hold the spring in you need to open it up and smooth it out so the new spring wont bind. It should be fairly simple. I wouldn't cut any threads unless you have to. I had a Nordic +5 on my 1187 and got a Colfax tactical barrel clamp/sling mount. Worked really well, zero issues.
Bountied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2021, 09:35 AM #6
71Chevelle427's Avatar
71Chevelle427 71Chevelle427 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,992
71Chevelle427 71Chevelle427 is online now
Senior Member
71Chevelle427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by byf43 View Post
My youngest son bought a Citadel "Boss Hog" (conventional stock) 12 ga semi-auto.

The procedure you're describing is exactly what has to be done, to install the Carlson's "Benelli Nova" magazine extension.

IF he really wants the extension put on, I'll have to do it, with him helping.
(He can turn a wrench, but, he's not confident enough to this job.)

There's a couple of youtube videos that show the installation.
Thanks. Yes, I saw that video, but the whole hose clamp, cutting off the end thing doesn't sit well with me for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountied View Post
Yeah I did this on an 1187. The tube just needs to be made flush and smooth on the inside to add the extension. If the Nova has a peened/rolled section to hold the spring in you need to open it up and smooth it out so the new spring wont bind. It should be fairly simple. I wouldn't cut any threads unless you have to. I had a Nordic +5 on my 1187 and got a Colfax tactical barrel clamp/sling mount. Worked really well, zero issues.
Thanks. Good to know there's no issues.
And yes, this shotgun looks to be ROLLED OVER on the edge, as opposed to peined. I couldn't think of the right word when I typed the OP out this morning.

Any suggestions on how to keep the spring slightly depressed while clearancing the mag tube? I'm going to look closer at it this afternoon, and may just remove that whole mag tube, if it's feasible. That also saves me from bringing a half shotgun into work and get quizzed by the nosey's...lol
71Chevelle427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2021, 12:17 PM #7
Biggfoot44's Avatar
Biggfoot44 Biggfoot44 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 22,112
Biggfoot44 Biggfoot44 is online now
Senior Member
Biggfoot44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 22,112
IT has a Roll Crimp .
Biggfoot44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2021, 12:19 PM #8
Bountied's Avatar
Bountied Bountied is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 2,280
Bountied Bountied is offline
Senior Member
Bountied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Chevelle427 View Post
Thanks. Yes, I saw that video, but the whole hose clamp, cutting off the end thing doesn't sit well with me for some reason.



Thanks. Good to know there's no issues.
And yes, this shotgun looks to be ROLLED OVER on the edge, as opposed to peined. I couldn't think of the right word when I typed the OP out this morning.

Any suggestions on how to keep the spring slightly depressed while clearancing the mag tube? I'm going to look closer at it this afternoon, and may just remove that whole mag tube, if it's feasible. That also saves me from bringing a half shotgun into work and get quizzed by the nosey's...lol
It might be awkward but I'd use a dowel to push the spring down while you Dremel the opening until it can be removed. Other than that I'm not real familiar with the Nova series. I shoot an A5 mostly.
Bountied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2021, 12:46 PM #9
71Chevelle427's Avatar
71Chevelle427 71Chevelle427 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,992
71Chevelle427 71Chevelle427 is online now
Senior Member
71Chevelle427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,992
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
IT has a Roll Crimp .
What he said ^^^^^
71Chevelle427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2021, 01:06 PM #10
byf43's Avatar
byf43 byf43 is offline
SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern Maryland ("Chuck County")
Posts: 8,870
byf43 byf43 is offline
SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
byf43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern Maryland ("Chuck County")
Posts: 8,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Chevelle427 View Post
Thanks. Yes, I saw that video, but the whole hose clamp, cutting off the end thing doesn't sit well with me for some reason.
IF I wind up modifying my son's "Boss Hog", I'll be using the hose clamp method, so that I can cut the tube 'straight and square'.

I suppose a metal cutting chop saw would be best, but, I don't own one of those, and don't have access to one.
__________________

With regard to reloading:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff7mm 04/28/2016, 07:32 PM
Dealing with stuff that can cause catastrophic failure in your firearms, and injury or death to you and those in close proximity. I treat every step as if my life depends on it.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." - H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Shotguns


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2021, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service