Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 8th, 2021, 02:43 PM #11
Appleseed Shoot Boss

Appleseed Shoot Boss

AAR - AGC - March 6-7, 2021

A great weekend on the line.

20 total shooters and 17 BRAND NEW shooters on the line for a cold (but not Winterseed qualifying) sold-out weekend in March. Trail Life represented the majority of our shooters, youth and adult alike.

We had 2 qualify as Rifleman, including one student who had never fired a rifle before the event. We also had two cleaned Red Coats to earn their Maryland Front Sight Patch. Folks were highly engaged in the history.

Instructor Agent711 earned his 10-shoot pin, Instructor in Training kniwolf continues to progress through the ranks, and Blue Hat LibertyBoy continues to provide great help on the line and in set-up.

Photos are available on the Maryland Appleseed Facebook page.

Also posting a few below:

Our two Riflemen - Huzzah!

And two Front Sight Patches

Old March 22nd, 2021, 01:40 PM #12
Appleseed Shoot Boss

Appleseed Shoot Boss

AAR - FOUR clinics in one weekend - 3/20-21

We are coming off a VERY busy weekend of history and marksmanship instruction around Maryland this past weekend.

Three shooters came out for a crisp, sunny day of marksmanship and history in Lexington Park, MD on Saturday, March 20. Our proficient crowd of experienced shooters employed all they learned, and by the end of the day, two requalified, grasping the the moniker "Rifleman." Thanks to our Sanners Lake Sportsmen Club for hosting, and to dSB John. Pictures are available here.

We had 10 students between 2 classes at our inaugural Introduction to Appleseed half-day classes at Anne Arundel Fish and Game (AAFG) in Annapolis, MD on Saturday, March 20. Our morning group braved cold temperatures (a family in period dress no less!) before it was warmer and sunnier for our sold-out afternoon clinic. All saw massive improvement with some students having never handled a rifle and starting off with no hits in paper. Much time was spent on initial zeros for rifles but everyone was locked-in as we moved from squares to the Hits Count (Red Coat) targets. By the end of each class, groups were tightening up and there were major improvements in a short time. While our history was abbreviated compared to our normal classes, it was great to teach people about Daniel Morgan, his shingle, and his actions that helped win the Revolutionary War. We had TWO shooters in our afternoon class earn scores of 40-plus on our Hits Count target to earn an Appleseed Pin - Huzzah! We hope all the students come to one of our one/two day events to continue their journey to Rifleman.

Pictures for the half-day events are available in this album on our Maryland Appleseed Facebook Page.

On Sunday we kicked off a sold-out one-day shoot on an absolutely gorgeous spring day at Anne Arundel Fish and Game (AAFG) in Annapolis. With a hard working class we got through 3 AQTs in a one-day event! We had 3 shooters earn Rifleman: Brian S requalifed with a 225 on his first AQT. Jim B earned his first Rifleman patch with a 214 and backed it up with a 210 - huzzah! And Bill K shot a 226 but even more impressively earned his Distinguished patch by shooting 235 with irons - Bill certainly knows what he is about! All the shooters showed massive improvement throughout the day and we had a number of folks scoring in the 175-195 range - within striking distance of Expert. We hope they come back again after some additional dry fire practice.

Pictures for Sunday are available in an album on our Maryland Appleseed Facebook Page.

Special thanks to SLSC and AAFG for hosting so many events one weekend. I would also like to thank our dedicated volunteers, nearly all of whom individually worked 2 or 3 different events this weekend - Huzzah!

We already have 7 sold-out events for the year (including 5 of our first 8 events) but still have slots open at some upcoming shoots in Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, and even Southern Pennsylvania (York-Adams). Will hope to get our Rimfire Known Distance events posted soon as well, likely in June and October.

The weather is improving and now is the time to lock in a spot on the line!
Old March 29th, 2021, 02:01 PM #13
Appleseed Shoot Boss

Appleseed Shoot Boss

Patriot's Day Weekend!

Just a reminder that there are still some spots open for our Patriot's Day Weekend (April 17-18) Appleseed Marksmanship Clinics.

Patriot's Day Weekend is the BEST time to come to an Appleseed clinic, whether it is your first or you have already made Rifleman. First, the clinic has unique T-shirts and patches for participants that are not available the rest of the year. Second, we do several commemorative events related to our history of April 19th, 1775. Third, the weather is usually awesome - warm, but not hot. So it is a great time to go for your high score as well.

Our area has no less than FIVE Patriot's Day weekend events going on simultaneously with combinations of our most experienced instructors at the helm.

First, we have just a couple spots left at our two-day clinic in Annapolis at AAFG. As many of you know, this is an excellent rimfire-only range and will be led by our most experienced shoot boss and Senior Instructor Brian and Kevin with a combined 118 shoots in experience between them. Four of our five clinics have been sold out for the year so far, so if you want to join this event, sign up now!

Second, we have a few spots available at our one-day rimfire and centerfire clinic in Lexington Park, MD at SLSC. It is rare for us to have a one-day clinic on this weekend, so if you only have one day to spare, this is a great option. This one will be led by Doug and John, who tirelessly sustain our presence in Southern Maryland with 70 combined shoots of experience.

Third (and Fourth), for those of you in Western, MD (although very driveable from almost anywhere) we have TWO different rimfire-only events in Kearneysville, WV at Leetown Gun Club for Patriot's Day weekend! We have a few spots available for a unique one-day Friday event to kick the weekend off. This is followed by a two-day clinic on Saturday and Sunday. Or, for those of you who are truly ambitious, you could do both for a THREE-day clinic with many opportunities to earn that Rifleman patch on what we hope is a beautiful weekend. This shoot will be led by Dave and Ana, two former MD residents with combined 90 shoots between them, who are making a drive from Florida to do the events! We hope to continue to sell-out our WV events at one of my favorite ranges, so let's make it happen!

Finally, we have a couple spots open at our first clinic ever at York & Adams Game & Fish Association in Abbottstown, PA - a very short drive for folks north of Baltimore. This two-day centerfire and rimfire shoot will have a mix of very experienced (129 shoots combined) Maryland and Pennsylvania instructors (including yours truly). Y-A couldn't have picked a better weekend to support the program so let's show them that we have been looking forward to a new range in that area for years with a strong showing.

If you are already signed up, bring a friend, co-worker, or a family member. Hope to see you on the line!

Last edited by KYFHO; March 29th, 2021 at 02:14 PM. Reason: fixed typos
KYFHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2021, 03:06 PM #14

Just signed up for April 17-18 in Annapolis! If I go with .22LR, what ammo should I avoid? I have plenty of Blazer and Remington Cyclone. Have only shot a little Blazer and none of the Cyclone so I don't know if they will be good or bad choices.

Also, can I bring additional centerfire gun(s)? Would at least like to try my Swiss G1911 at longer range with open irons.
floatingboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2021, 04:04 PM #15

Ah, ok, I see lower in the checklist that I had missed before: "centerfire rifle and ammo." As for the sling: I have a Safari ching sling (leather). Should it be just a simple fabric sling or would that work? Or perhaps a fabric ching sling?

Thanks!
Old April 1st, 2021, 06:06 PM #16
HVAC Expert

HVAC Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingboy View Post
Just signed up for April 17-18 in Annapolis! If I go with .22LR, what ammo should I avoid? I have plenty of Blazer and Remington Cyclone. Have only shot a little Blazer and none of the Cyclone so I don't know if they will be good or bad choices.

Also, can I bring additional centerfire gun(s)? Would at least like to try my Swiss G1911 at longer range with open irons.
Most important to have ammo that cycles reliably in your rifle.

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Mark75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2021, 06:25 PM #17
Appleseed Shoot Boss

Appleseed Shoot Boss

Quote:

Awesome! Annapolis is rimfire and 25 yards only. We do have some known distance events where that would be awesome to try out!

CCI Blazer runs pretty well in my semi auto 22s but YMMV. If you have time test it out, thatís probably best. Our instructors typically have some extra ammo for sale, but best to run what ya brung
Old April 1st, 2021, 06:26 PM #18
Appleseed Shoot Boss

Appleseed Shoot Boss

Quote:
Ah, ok, I see lower in the checklist that I had missed before: "centerfire rifle and ammo." As for the sling: I have a Safari ching sling (leather). Should it be just a simple fabric sling or would that work? Or perhaps a fabric ching sling?

Thanks!

We teach the loop sling so you should be good with the Ching sling. Leather or fabric are both fine.
Old April 1st, 2021, 07:57 PM #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYFHO View Post
Awesome! Annapolis is rimfire and 25 yards only. We do have some known distance events where that would be awesome to try out!
Damn it, I'm too good at overlooking pertinent information. Didn't see the RED TEXT AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE. Ugh. How much am I missing out on if I do rimfire only?
Old April 1st, 2021, 08:05 PM #20
HVAC Expert

HVAC Expert

Quote:
Damn it, I'm too good at overlooking pertinent information. Didn't see the RED TEXT AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE. Ugh. How much am I missing out on if I do rimfire only?
Not much. Rimfire is probably a better place to start

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Mark75H is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting