• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Great Summary.

I have a question, so please someone set me straight. I clearly do not understand the process.

If HB0096 and SB0346 were cross-filed, how is it that HB0096 is dead and SB0346 passed? Don't they both pass or is this saying that SB0346 passed in both the house and senate?:banghead:

Senate Bill 0346 / Senator Ferguson / Public Safety – Regulated Firearms – Sell, Rent, Transfer, or Loan
    This bill is the crossfile of House Bill 0096. In its original form, it would have been a convoluted way to overcome the Chow decision commonly quoted by Anti-2A lobbyists. The bill was modified to focus on the intentional act of loaning a firearm to a prohibited person. This bill passed in that form and now awaits the same three-pronged decision by the Governor.

https://www.msrpa.org/legislation/

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks to everyone who stood on the sidewalks and in the capitol....

Thanks to those who wrote, emailed, and visited their representatives…

Thanks to those who held the signs...

Thanks to those who helped pay for them...

Thanks to those who herded the cats and provided leadership for our efforts...

Thanks to those who wore the good suits and fought our litigations...

And thanks for those who said unambiguously that we will not comply (with or without the Double MOPAR Salute)…

Thanks one and all.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Ideally a sit down, to have a polite discussion and to "educate" them on who I committing the crime and murders (hint not us who follow the law). Show them support of harsher penalties for firearms related crimes and the like. You know, the bills they don't pass every year.

Yes. A face-to-face sit-down goes much, much further than even a personal letter or phone call.

Emails are pointless. Still send them, it's important to hit all channels of communication, but during a legislative session they don't get read most of the time, and if they are, they're read by lackeys and don't actually get in front of the MGA member you're writing them to. Same goes for VM messages in the busy time of the year. In the down-time, make an appointment to speak with your representatives face-to-face about these issues.

The best way to get your foot in the door is to tell them that you want to meet face-to-face to discuss gun violence. This is a legit way to get their ear. And talk about it. Talk about how bad the violence is in Baltimore because they aren't penalizing those who commit the atrocities. Talk to them about how the legislation crafted in recent years does nothing to prevent guns from getting into the hands of those who are causing the violence, and how when legislation is proposed to make things harsher on those who do commit these kinds of major crimes, the MGA doesn't pass it because they're all told to toe the line.

Go a step farther. Craft a bill of your own one put it in front of them. A bill that would impose harsh sentences on those who willingly and knowingly illegally supply arms to gang bangers, drug dealers, and other PPs. Craft a bill that requires a minimum bond (no personal recognizance bonds) for any and all crimes where a gun is involved. Dealing with a "Glawk-Fohty" on your waistband? Instant minimum $100k bond with a 25% minimum posting. Are the hardcore liberal MGA folks going to take these bills up? Not on your life. But then you have something to throw in their face publicly. You can leak to the press that they have these pre-crafted bills available to them, but they're unwilling to be tough on the real criminals. Shove it in their faces if they don't move on it. And let the world see just how slimy and on the side of criminals they are.

I'm planning to sit down and discuss school security with my reps this summer. I'm going to give them both barrels and slam them on the fact that they'll give JHU their own armed police force, but let everyone else die defenseless including my kid.

Do your research, be passionate, but not rude, give them something that if they refuse to support, it'll let you expose their true colors to the world, and make sure they see you in person to make it that much harder for them to ignore you.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Yes. A face-to-face sit-down goes much, much further than even a personal letter or phone call.

Emails are pointless. Still send them, it's important to hit all channels of communication, but during a legislative session they don't get read most of the time, and if they are, they're read by lackeys and don't actually get in front of the MGA member you're writing them to. Same goes for VM messages in the busy time of the year. In the down-time, make an appointment to speak with your representatives face-to-face about these issues.

The best way to get your foot in the door is to tell them that you want to meet face-to-face to discuss gun violence. This is a legit way to get their ear. And talk about it. Talk about how bad the violence is in Baltimore because they aren't penalizing those who commit the atrocities. Talk to them about how the legislation crafted in recent years does nothing to prevent guns from getting into the hands of those who are causing the violence, and how when legislation is proposed to make things harsher on those who do commit these kinds of major crimes, the MGA doesn't pass it because they're all told to toe the line.

Go a step farther. Craft a bill of your own one put it in front of them. A bill that would impose harsh sentences on those who willingly and knowingly illegally supply arms to gang bangers, drug dealers, and other PPs. Craft a bill that requires a minimum bond (no personal recognizance bonds) for any and all crimes where a gun is involved. Dealing with a "Glawk-Fohty" on your waistband? Instant minimum $100k bond with a 25% minimum posting. Are the hardcore liberal MGA folks going to take these bills up? Not on your life. But then you have something to throw in their face publicly. You can leak to the press that they have these pre-crafted bills available to them, but they're unwilling to be tough on the real criminals. Shove it in their faces if they don't move on it. And let the world see just how slimy and on the side of criminals they are.

I'm planning to sit down and discuss school security with my reps this summer. I'm going to give them both barrels and slam them on the fact that they'll give JHU their own armed police force, but let everyone else die defenseless including my kid.

Do your research, be passionate, but not rude, give them something that if they refuse to support, it'll let you expose their true colors to the world, and make sure they see you in person to make it that much harder for them to ignore you.

Great post. Thank you.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Shame how much time, money and effort by the Dems went into trying to pass bills that do nothing to stop the violent crime in Baltimore City.

Just think what they could do if they actually used that effort to lowering crime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Long Gun Bills / HBAR Bill / Firearms Storage / 3d Guns are all dead for this session./QUOTE]

Thank goodness.

I wrote to all my reps about this. Only one responded, but I got a personal reply: Sid Saab. He said he's pro-2A and won't support any further restrictions on the rights of law-abiding gun owners in this state. Thanks!

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Long Gun Bills / HBAR Bill / Firearms Storage / 3d Guns are all dead for this session./QUOTE]

Thank goodness.

I wrote to all my reps about this. Only one responded, but I got a personal reply: Sid Saab. He said he's pro-2A and won't support any further restrictions on the rights of law-abiding gun owners in this state. Thanks!

I got what sounds like exactly the same email from Del. Saab a couple days ago. Never heard a peep from Sen. Reilly, or, to nobody's surprise, Del. Bagnall. She's eventually going to come to the realization she's in a red district, and the only reason she won is that even conservatives wanted to be rid of McConkey last election and were willing allow her to replace him temporarily to do it.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville

Good stuff!

I have been wondering if there is a tally kept on emails and phone calls, I am guessing no in order to claim plausible deniability? FOIA?

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Wow, a big thank you to MSI, MSRPA, PP, and everyone for all their work, emails, calls this session.

The HPRB getting axed (minus veto) is disappointing but it feels weird that’s the one that got fast tracked.

I think I’ll break out a contraband styrofoam cup to toast the occasion

Agreed, and in my own post from last night I accidentally left off the MSRPA. Thanks to them too!

I agree with everything but that in particular is an absolutely outstanding point. The hypocrisy of letting Bloomberg's school use firearms for protection while leaving most Maryland school children absolutely defenseless is stunning, and worth loudly beating the drum over and over again with the next MD GA.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Good stuff!

I have been wondering if there is a tally kept on emails and phone calls, I am guessing no in order to claim plausible deniability? FOIA?

FOIA only applies to Federal government. Maryland has the Public Information Act, which is sort of FOIA-Lite. Not sure it would cover internal documents of a legislator, though.

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    Pretty good result.

And to be fair to some legislators: I emailed my representatives in the MGA this year. Two of them ignored me (although one of those two - Sen Ferguson, added me to his email list). Brooke Lieberman responded to me personally. (I know it was personal because she addressed something specific in my email that wouldn't have been addressed by a canned response, and I doubt even by a staffer.) She and I disagree on nearly everything, but at least I know she listened for a minute.

mrbob1000

Nov 5, 2018
    Annapolis
    I got what sounds like exactly the same email from Del. Saab a couple days ago. Never heard a peep from Sen. Reilly, or, to nobody's surprise, Del. Bagnall. She's eventually going to come to the realization she's in a red district, and the only reason she won is that even conservatives wanted to be rid of McConkey last election and were willing allow her to replace him temporarily to do it.

That and she won by something like 185 votes, and that was with heavy campaigning and a ton of people slapping "McConkey is a Fraud" stickers everywhere from Annapolis to Severna Park. It seems her main focus is the arts given her background in theater, she referenced it hard in her campaign.

Sid is the man, though, he's always willing to lend an ear and gets back to you as soon as he can.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm actually shocked that this crap didn't get jammed down our throats, and it leaves me scratching my head trying to figure out why because I don't believe it was our efforts that got them shut down. The reason I think that is because it didn't make one lick of difference in 2013 when they foisted FSA2013 on us. We called, we emailed, we went to the Capitol, we protested, we testified, and it wasn't even close - they rammed that travesty through, and didn't even have the common courtesy to kiss us first.

There's got to be some other dealing going on under the table.

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    That and she won by something like 185 votes, and that was with heavy campaigning and a ton of people slapping "McConkey is a Fraud" stickers everywhere from Annapolis to Severna Park. It seems her main focus is the arts given her background in theater, she referenced it hard in her campaign.

Sid is the man, though, he's always willing to lend an ear and gets back to you as soon as he can.

Amen. Bagnall blocked me on Twitter for something as benign as vote no on a particular House gun bill. I really believe she’s a radical leftist that we need out of the House next go around.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I'm actually shocked that this crap didn't get jammed down our throats, and it leaves me scratching my head trying to figure out why because I don't believe it was our efforts to that got them shut down. The reason I think that is because it didn't make one lick of difference in 2013 when they foisted FSA2013 on us. We called, we emailed, we went to the Capitol, we protested, we testified, and it wasn't even close - they rammed that travesty through, and didn't even have the common courtesy to kiss us first.

My guess would be that in 2013, the governor was pushing the agenda. Not as much pressure this year.

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016

Well said. And this is exactly what we need to do from here until gun bill day next year. Trust me. The moms will be. So we need to as well.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Next year marks a new era!

In Oct Supreme Court will have heard at least one new gun case :

Whether New York City’s ban on transporting a licensed, locked and unloaded handgun to a home or shooting range outside city limits is consistent with the Second Amendment, the commerce clause and the constitutional right to travel.

https://www.scotusblog.com/case-fil...-association-inc-v-city-of-new-york-new-york/

Some chance we actually have the opinion before the silly season opens back up. We at least will have the transcript and a clue. Possibly some others on tap as well.

Next year I am hopeful that Assapolis will be playing defense for the first time in a long time.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I'm actually shocked that this crap didn't get jammed down our throats, and it leaves me scratching my head trying to figure out why because I don't believe it was our efforts to that got them shut down. The reason I think that is because it didn't make one lick of difference in 2013 when they foisted FSA2013 on us. We called, we emailed, we went to the Capitol, we protested, we testified, and it wasn't even close - they rammed that travesty through, and didn't even have the common courtesy to kiss us first.

I'm not shocked, it's all about time and politics. Evidently It just wasn't important enough to them this time.

Even in this anti 2A state every year can't be a massive anti 2A agenda. There's a whole lot of other stuff they need to work on, like banning styrofoam. LOL

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    NOT SO FAST

Sine Die has passed, but we're not out of the woods yet. Obviously there is next year, but this year MAY not be over.

My wife has been following a bill closely for her work (non 2A related), and there have been grumblings of Hogan opening up a Special Session to deal with the Gerrymandering bill. I believe everything else would still be on the table if that were to happen. So let's hold our breaths that we are in fact in the clear for 2019.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom