• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Did people think these things would sell for under 1K? 1K is a fair price for a mixed parts surplus 1911.

If they sold then for $500, every goof around would buy them all up and try to flip them for $1K on auction sites.

Frankly yes. New made Garands are in the same price range of higher end new 1911s. Yet they sold Garands at a seriously discounted rate. While $1K might be a fair price... it might not be depending on which you get. Last guns I got from CMP had a magic marker name on both sides of the stock (Air Gun). Was it worth what I paid? Sure because I got a $300 new gun for $100 used and reconditioned. Had I paid a going rate "Fair price" I would be sending that sucker back in a second! When you are taking the luck of the draw... you have to consider that in the price. Not to mention, we (The tax payers) already bought these guns once! They are selling our guns to us. So would I expect a pretty good discount from Mil-surplus? YES.

As for the $500 and everyone buying one, fine... limit to one or two per person for life. Either way they never jumped Garand prices to a "Fair" price and were fine with seeing Garands get flipped for double the money all the time.

Also put it this way... if not for the collector value, these guns would be selling for a lot less than $1K!

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Did people think these things would sell for under 1K? 1K is a fair price for a mixed parts surplus 1911.

If they sold then for $500, every goof around would buy them all up and try to flip them for $1K on auction sites.

I thought it was possible, if they used the same pricing model they use for the Garands and appear to be using for the carbines.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I went back and reread the link in the OP and it sounds to me like the comments were more of a trial balloon on possible pricing rather than a firm policy. So I will wait and see what the actual pricing for each grade turns out to be.

Johnson said:

They have no idea on the condition of the pistols in inventory. But, based on their experience with M1 Garand the CMP expects there will be Rack Grade, Field Grade, Service Grade, and Collector Grade pistols available and that he expects 10% to be in the worst condition, 10% to be in the best condition, and the rest somewhere in the middle. (He later added that the CMP will thoroughly inspect, repair, and test fire all pistols prior to sale).

The pricing is expected to start at about $1,000 per pistol with the better grades “priced accordingly.”

- See more at: http://www.alloutdoor.com/2016/01/1...ng-officer-mark-johnson/#sthash.QgcrvKps.dpuf

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I went back and reread the link in the OP and it sounds to me like the comments were more of a trial balloon on possible pricing rather than a firm policy. So I will wait and see what the actual pricing for each grade turns out to be.

That's why the thread title is Projected Pricing :innocent0

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    This week's M1 Carbine sale will probably affect the way the CMP sets up their 1911 sale. I would be surprised if they accept 1911 mail orders if they end up with less than 5,000 pistols to sell.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I suspect the pistols will be more in demand than the carbines. They have already sold thousands or tens of thousands of carbines so a lot of people already have at least one. Pistols are a virgin market for the CMP. After the response to the carbines you may see the price of the pistols even go higher than what was "projected".

Juche90

May 10, 2014
    $1000 is fine by me. The CMP is a great institution and worthy of the support. The fact that me might be able to buy these pistols at all given then current administrations feelings on the subject are on par with biblical miracles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom