Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 13th, 2021, 05:46 PM #1

LPVO for BLK SBR

I currently run a a SIG Romeo8H with a Trijicon 3X magnifier on my 9" BCM SBR chambered in 300 BLK. The rifle is zeroed at 50 yards with supersonic ammunition and is always shot suppressed. Its primary purpose is for home defense. However, I do like to shoot subsonics (of course) and the Romoe8H is great because its quad reticle helps with holdovers at beyond height over bore distances. I typically don't shoot subs beyond 100 yards unless I'm plinking with friends.

However, I've been thinking about getting an LPVO instead. I figure that with training, a scope can be as quick as a red dot for target acquisition, the magnification would obviously be better for target ID, and a scope would eliminate additional parallax concerns for looking behind a magnifier through a reflex site.

Has anyone opted for an LPVO over a red dot under these circumstances, and if so, what did you go with? Im particularly interested in reticle choices.

Thanks.
rae1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2021, 06:00 PM #2

Do you have a light? If HD indoors I’d leave it with a RD. If you need to be both in and outdoors and don’t know what may be needed, then a LPVO with a lighted reticle might be better. Being it’s limited in range I’d keep the reticle simple. KISS.

If you're not the lead sled dog, the view never changes.
Pale Ryder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2021, 08:51 PM #3

I have a prism scope for my 300 BLK, but decided to get a cheap LPVO just to see if I liked it any better. I didn't want to pull the trigger on a $$$ scope like a Vortex, Leupold, Swampfox, etc., so I got a Truglo 1-6x24, just for some range fun, and to see if the extra weight, size, etc. were something doable for HD. I like the LPVO at the range, but am going back to the prism for HD use (the primary purpose of my blackout).
csxt602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2021, 02:28 PM #4

I basically agree.

RD for HD. Your shots are going be under 20 yards max.

I would do an LVPO versus a dot and magnifier. Too much junk. A good 1x to whatever gives you similar to an RD at 1x, and the magnification if you need it. Not that you need much with a .300 BO and subs.

Good LVPOs are very good. And you can pick some differences in reticles.

I have a cheap Millet. A Burris MTAC, which is a nice scope, although 1 - 4x only. Reticle is heavy circle with dot center, and some hold over dots.

Vortex Strike Eagle 1 - 6x. I shot a 3 day carbine course with this. And it worked well for that. Reticle is a 3/4 circle with sort of a long range tactical inverted tree for hold over.

Vortex Viper PST Gen 2. I have not mounted it, but just playing with it, it is amazingly clear glass. Reticle is like a mil-dot with an illuminated dot in the middle. Just a dot.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2021, 08:58 PM #5
For great Justice

For great Justice

LPVO trade weight/bulk for magnification. A red dot is a bit cleaner/faster at close range, LPVO hav a big advantage past 100. For subs and close stuff a red dot is better, wouldn't bother with a magnifier either.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2021, 08:46 AM #6

^^^ +1

Something else to consider is what you need to see. If you shoot in situations, as in your plinking with friends, where the target is not readily visible or matches the background, an LPVO would be beneficial. This situation is precisely why I have a 1-6 Strike Eagle on a middy carbine I set up for multi-gun. I ran into scenarios where the irons nor the red dot didn’t help since I could barely discern the targets when I was just looking at them. The guys with the LPVO set up said they had to look hard to see them under time pressure.

I prefer irons and a red dot since it keeps a carbine nibble. And because I just like iron sights. But I am getting up in years and my eyes are beginning to ask for a little more help.

More money but a couple release mounts could be an answer. An LPVO for shooting fun. The dot for home or when the greayer precision isn’t needed.
Old June 15th, 2021, 10:54 AM #7
For great Justice

For great Justice

Also, the Romeo 8H is probably one of the best 300BO sights. Main issue is the huge elevation differences between subs and supers, and the drop at longer ranges. It's best under 200 yards anyway, and with some practice you can probably figure out which of the 4 dots to hold over for subs and supers out to at least 300 yards. The magnifier is nice to have to help sight in, or test accuracy with various loads, but that is basically all I use mine for. A magnifier is less than useless at in-home distances, within 20 feet or so I don't worry about the reticle as much as using the sight as a big ghost ring to get hits on target, and maybe put the entire reticle COM if I have time. When I run close stuff on 3 gun ranges with my LPVOs, I usually use the tube the same way, ignore the reticle, and just fire when I can see the target in the tube, or occasionally just turn the rifle a little to the left and sight along the side of the tube and mostly point shoot. I might use a daylight bright dot on a LPVO(nothing under $500ish has one) in close, but don't even try to use the reticle till I'm out around 25 yards or more. Even a good 1X LPVO(including prisms) is still distorted within that distance as your eye usually has a visual length from the objective lens to the target, so about a foot less than your non-dominant eye, makes it harder to judge distances compared to a red dot if you shoot both eyes open.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2021, 12:10 PM #8
The Hebrew Hammer

The Hebrew Hammer

My perfect LPVO for 300AAC usage would be:
1. Daylight bright
2. mil or MOA-based reticle (no BDC)
3. Exposed locking elevation
4. Top-end of 4, 5, or 6x.

The thing with having the exposed locking elevation turret is that it allows you to quickly and REPEATABLY shift between super and sub zeroes. A reflex sight like the Mepro Foresight could do a similar trick.
Old June 19th, 2021, 11:08 AM #9

Phenomenal feedback, gents. I appreciate it. Sounds like a budget LPVO for range time is the way to go. My current optic definitely facilitates easy subsonic holdovers out to 100 yards, so I'm good there.

My biggest issue with the Romeo8H is the hex mount. It's not a big deal, it's just a lot easier to mount/dismount the optic with QD as opposed to re-torquing to 85 inch pounds every time I want to shoot at distance. Yeah, I definitely did a double take when I saw 85 inch pounds (that's almost 7.5 foot pounds!) but being that it's used for HD, Im OCD about properly torquing it to ensure a reliable return to zero.

There's no free lunch.
rae1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2021, 11:26 AM #10
Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks

I would recommend the Swamp fox 1-10 LPVO. The recticle has chevrons for 600yds holdover with .223/.308 which should give you enough holdover reference for what you need (obviously holdovers will be different). plus the illumination has off settings in between each brightness setting so you don't have to scroll through bright settings to get to where you need. Has push-lock zeroable turrets as well. Overall a very well made, well thought out scope. Glass is on par with Vortex Strike Eagle maybe a little better.
The contents of the above post may not be safe for children, expectant mothers, or the elderly. The above post should probably not be taken seriously but should be taken with a quart of whisky. Misuse of the above post may cause rash, infection, joint pain, bleeding gums, car trouble, bad weather, black mold and/or anal seepage.
Boats is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles