Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 11th, 2021, 02:34 PM #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
No disagreement, but the only way to get primer prices to come back down is if people refuse to pay $100 a brick for them.

The unfortunate thing is that prices never fully rebound to what they were before when these ammo and component shortages occur thanks to the dumbasses out there who are like, "Here! Take mah munny!!!!! LOLOLZ!" Every single time the prices bump up, and then only relax about 70-80%. I fully expect primers to be $40+ permanently, even when the shortage is over.
Spot on. Prior to the 2008 fiasco, primers were $20-$25 per 1000. After the 2008 fiasco they were $30-35 per 1000. I expect them to settle out around $40-$50 per 1000 in another year or two when everything settles down. Everything else, including loaded ammo, will follow along. Those $8-$10 boxes of 9mm that turned into $12-$15 boxes of 9mm are going to be painful to buy at $16-$20 each.
GunBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2021, 04:33 PM #62

$100/ brick is already a 2/3 reduction from a month before .

If you have all the other components standing by , " only" $100 is not totally out of the question . But only in the quantity you'll imeadately use for a pet load . Still too high for preemptive stocking up .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2021, 04:59 PM #63

The whole availability piece aside, it isn't helping component or ammo pricing that commodities in 2021 like copper and brass are themselves knocking on the door of all time highs.
Uncle Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2021, 05:16 PM #64
Guns 'n Drums

Guns 'n Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
$100/ brick is already a 2/3 reduction from a month before .

If you have all the other components standing by , " only" $100 is not totally out of the question . But only in the quantity you'll imeadately use for a pet load . Still too high for preemptive stocking up .
That's not really a reduction - there were a few people doing some serious gouging because people were spazzing and paying it, but I only heard one account where people were actually paying that kind of money.

There was a jackass at a gun show in Nebraska who was selling primers for $30/sleeve of 100, and people were lining up to get it. That was, to my knowledge, an isolated case.

People are still getting primers for $30-$40/brick.
Old June 11th, 2021, 06:25 PM #65

"People are still getting primers for $30-$40/brick."

Where is that???
KRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2021, 06:28 PM #66
Guns 'n Drums

Guns 'n Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRC View Post
"People are still getting primers for $30-$40/brick."

Where is that???
I'm on a reloading group on FB called Reload Nation - people living in other areas of the country that have a decent selection of LGS's are able to get primers for pre-shortage prices.

There's nothing out here of course - Maryland has gone to great lengths to make being a LGS such a colossal pain in the ass that there aren't many left - central Maryland is particularly abysmal.

Be that as it may, not every state is as anti-gun as Maryland, and primers can still be had locally in lesser populated areas of the country.
Old June 11th, 2021, 09:22 PM #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Duke View Post
The whole availability piece aside, it isn't helping component or ammo pricing that commodities in 2021 like copper and brass are themselves knocking on the door of all time highs.
Yeah I need to get to the salvage yard. Iíve got a bunch of copper pipe and wire from some demo projects of the last 18 months or so. Plus the former owner left a bunch of stuff when he sold me the place. Including a lot of copper pipe (he worked as an HVAC sup for a residential oil company). Including, for instance, a bundle of maybe a 12-15 1Ēx5í copper pipes. Itís gotta be 40-50lbs of copper at least. Plus a bunch of old 3/4Ē pipe I removed that was a dump zone to the garage slab, some old supply lines (Iíve re done the house with PEX as it was copper and CPVC with really acid well water and 30 years with no acid neutralizer). Iíve got probably 20lbs of wire and 100lbs of copper pipe and several pounds of brass fittings. Plus maybe 8-10lbs of spent brass that canít be reused (damaged range brass and 22 casings)

At a guess I am at around 15lbs if brass, 100lbs of copper and the 20lbs of Romex.

I hate to just salvage the unused copper pipe, but I need at most a few feet of it when I relocate my wood boiler 90 degrees from how he had it installed. Maybe I need to stick it on the forum for sale or something. Or criagslist. Less about getting a few bucks more, and more about less waste melting it down to reuse it when someone can just use it.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2021, 09:32 PM #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Yeah I need to get to the salvage yard. Iíve got a bunch of copper pipe and wire from some demo projects of the last 18 months or so. Plus the former owner left a bunch of stuff when he sold me the place. Including a lot of copper pipe (he worked as an HVAC sup for a residential oil company). Including, for instance, a bundle of maybe a 12-15 1Ēx5í copper pipes. Itís gotta be 40-50lbs of copper at least. Plus a bunch of old 3/4Ē pipe I removed that was a dump zone to the garage slab, some old supply lines (Iíve re done the house with PEX as it was copper and CPVC with really acid well water and 30 years with no acid neutralizer). Iíve got probably 20lbs of wire and 100lbs of copper pipe and several pounds of brass fittings. Plus maybe 8-10lbs of spent brass that canít be reused (damaged range brass and 22 casings)

At a guess I am at around 15lbs if brass, 100lbs of copper and the 20lbs of Romex.

I hate to just salvage the unused copper pipe, but I need at most a few feet of it when I relocate my wood boiler 90 degrees from how he had it installed. Maybe I need to stick it on the forum for sale or something. Or criagslist. Less about getting a few bucks more, and more about less waste melting it down to reuse it when someone can just use it.
You have a nice chuck of change there.
Uncle Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2021, 09:46 PM #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
No disagreement, but the only way to get primer prices to come back down is if people refuse to pay $100 a brick for them.

The unfortunate thing is that prices never fully rebound to what they were before when these ammo and component shortages occur thanks to the dumbasses out there who are like, "Here! Take mah munny!!!!! LOLOLZ!" Every single time the prices bump up, and then only relax about 70-80%. I fully expect primers to be $40+ permanently, even when the shortage is over.
Disagree. I was in the same camp last shortage. That .22 LR would not drop back below 4 cpr. But they did. Which is a steal when CCI MiniMags were 2 cpr in the 70s.

BTW, when I started reloading in 1977, primers were about $8 per 1000. In todays dollars, that is about $36 per 1000.

ALL prices have gone up. Some less than inflation. CCI Minimags were $2 per 100 rounds in 1977. Today that is equal to $9.

Last edited by Pinecone; June 12th, 2021 at 07:41 PM.
Pinecone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2021, 01:59 PM #70

To the OP: the two don't need to be mutually exclusive. Get a reloading setup in place, calculate your cost if that interests you and buy or reload depending on the current cost/availability of your ammo.

I reload because I enjoy the process. I actually enjoy reloading more than shooting.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading