• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Have to wonder how they ever made it back in the 1800's with a single action revolver and in much more inhospitable environment. I remember an article about a guy named Jeff Spivey, who wanted to travel across the entire country on horseback, similar to the way it used to be done. He carried a Colt single action .45lc and a knife he made out of an old saw blade. He took only what could be carried on his horse. Of course, he had to plan his route according to modern road changes intersecting his path and state firearms laws. Pretty cool story. Just imagine someone trying to do that today.

Ikaros240

Aug 11, 2020
    my main issue with the glock is that I just really don't like glocks, as long as there is another option for a caliber I'm going for that other option. I prefer 45 over 10mm is that I know that out of the very low chance that I will need a gun in my hand during camping, it will be a human threat than an animal. Animal threats that require a gun are mainly bears, and as long as I dont do anything stupid to attract bears they usually dont bother with humans anyways. I guess I should have clarified in the beginning, this gun is also gonna be just a range gun to shoot and have fun with as well, and I also value the fun factor

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Unless you have a CCW that will work in each state you plan to camp, I’d forget the pistol and go with something like the Mossy Shockwave or a standard 12 gauge pump.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    If I was trudging through bear country, something in 10mm and polymer, would be nice. If weight is not a consideration, 7.62x25mm is a stout round, especially if loaded with 110 grain bullets. Smaller hole, but velocity is between 1400 and 1650 FPS.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Animal threats that require a gun are mainly bears, and as long as I dont do anything stupid to attract bears they usually dont bother with humans anyways.

If I'm going into bear country I'm bringing my .44 Magnum revolver. If I get my way, "bear attack" is not gonna be the cause of death on my death certificate. :lol2:

Vodnik4

Between two waters
    Jan 8, 2021
    Slower, lower MD
    Have to wonder how they ever made it back in the 1800's with a single action revolver and in much more inhospitable environment.

Many more people went into the woods than lived to write about it. A lot of people were eaten and scalped.
    The ones who made it sneaked by a bear who was sleeping off indigestion from eating the previous explorer, and Injuns who were sleeping off the firewater sourced from bear dinner’s pack.

(Sorry, couldn’t help trying to be a smartass)

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Many more people went into the woods than lived to write about it. A lot of people were eaten and scalped.
    The ones who made it sneaked by a bear who was sleeping off indigestion from eating the previous explorer, and Injuns who were sleeping off the firewater sourced from bear dinner’s pack.

:lol:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Even in ( Eastern US ) areas with significant Bear presence , you have more risk from humans .

That said , I feel much more confident dealing with meth cookers and clandestine pot growers with a .44 or .45 , than Yogi with a 9mm or .38 .

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    It's all fun and games until the bears want to come out and play . I see self defense against animals & humans as the same in most degrees . Always want to plan and train for the worse and pray for the best outcome . You can't use what yo don't have .
    Heading into the wilderness would be wrong without the proper gear to survive and that includes everything you can carry into the woods on a pack . And leave the Grey Poupon at home

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

Ha! If your camping with someone else, the old joke is a 22 works just fine for best defense. All ya gotta do is shhot your companion in the knee when you both start to run! :))

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Ugly is as ugly does. The Glock is indeed hideous, like Jake From State Farm, but it works. I love my CZ 97, but for camping? The Glock had more capacity and significantly less WEIGHT when you're doing loaded down miles on foot. But for out in the wild, worried about both humans and possibly large predators or a pissed-off form of large hoofstock, etc., I'd go with the G20, thus using 10mm. That's a better tool for the odd cranky bear or whatnot. Yup. Ugly, like every Glock. But they work and don't weight a lot. Survival vs. aesthetics isn't a hard thing to figure out. I built a G20 clone for just this sorta use.

...and I understand that building the clone 20/21 one can shoot both .45 ACP and 10mm with just a barrel swap. Worked out for my shooting buddy

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I prefer 10mm for the woods, but if you are set on .45, you could buy Underwood’s xtreme penetrator rounds. They will work better against bears. Try to get over your dislike for Glocks. I did. They’re ugly, but they work all the time. If you want pretty, buy a 1911, but then you won’t want to carry it while camping.

I have a Springfield XD .45acp Tactical (5inch) that I love/trust enough to have on my nightstand. Accurate, reliable, and 13+1. It also has better ergonomics than my old FNP 45, which I hated. Some people hold a grudge against SA, but I’ve found they have excellent customer service, while FN’s sucks.

Last edited:

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    Camping anywhere in MD, you would need a CCW unless private property....

Maryland Wear and Carry prohibits carrying in State Parks even with a permit.

Where are you camping and is it legal to carry a handgun there? Do you need a gun there or do you just want to carry one?

This. You can get jammed up in a hurry on this sort of thing. NRP will stop and check on campers. They are mostly seeking alcohol, drugs, and littering but you better believe that you'd catch a charge if they see a gun. I've been DEEP in the woods at a primitive site on an off-road trail where I thought I'd never see anyone. NRP rolled up and were checking to see if I paid for my camp. They specifically asked about alcohol, drugs, and firearms. Sad that we can't drink a few beers camping but people leaving beer cans all over their campsite ruined that for the rest of us.

To answer the actual question...
    I'd look at a Sig P320. I don't have personal experience but it's high on my list to check out. The XD platform might also fit the bill and are super cheap second hand. I listed an XD here years ago but couldn't get $400 for it. Love the .45 cartridge.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Alcohol rule has changed back , for State Forests . You may have a drink in your campsite ,but not be drunk or boisterous .

Meanwhile , plenty of backcountry camping in National Forest in Va and WV within reasonable proximity of Maryland .

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Several years ago when I scored a MD bear permit I carried my Desert Eagle 44mag. With me. Checked with DNR before hand to make sure it was OK. Only problem was carrying it on my hip all day, sucker is heavy

Foohaus

Nov 22, 2020
    For what it’s worth, in this part of the country, it’s exclusively black bears. There’s approximately 1 deadly black bear encounter a year in the entire US, so I’d argue that it’s not worth planning for or making a serious consideration when choosing a backwoods carry gun.

If you’re out in an area with brown bears or polar bears, sure, it’s a valid consideration. In the eastern US? You’re much more likely to be killed by lightning or a human being—and neither of those is particularly likely.

If you want a double stack .45, get one. Get the one you want for whatever reasons it is that you want it. But assuming you’re mostly in this part of the country, I think you can safely cross “will it drop a bear” off your decision matrix.

Just my 2 cents, but unless you’re a serious hiker/backpacker counting every pound, a lightweight rifle is going to serve your use case better than a handgun and be legal to carry in a lot more places.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    When I go camping/backpacking out in grizz country I carry a 500 S&W.

Anywhere else I just carry a decent pocket knife. As others have stated, if 4-legged apex predator protection is a must, carry a higher pressure round. If you're not going to walk into a grizzly/polar bear, carry whatever you prefer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom