Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 2nd, 2021, 10:44 AM #1

HQL licensing

Hopefully I have this in the right place. A friend of mine had purchased a handgun on Sept 14 2013. When doing so they were told that they were not required to have an HQL at that time. I did some research and found that the law was passed in April of that year for the HQL. So my question is were they misinformed on this? Also since they don't currently have an HQL do they need to have one in order to be in possession of said handgun and if they wanted to sell it what would be the procedure? It's a Kimber Custom 2 45
kool361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2021, 10:46 AM #2
Guns 'n Drums

Guns 'n Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool361 View Post
Hopefully I have this in the right place. A friend of mine had purchased a handgun on Sept 14 2013. When doing so they were told that they were not required to have an HQL at that time. I did some research and found that the law was passed in April of that year for the HQL. So my question is were they misinformed on this? Also since they don't currently have an HQL do they need to have one in order to be in possession of said handgun and if they wanted to sell it what would be the procedure? It's a Kimber Custom 2 45
The law went into effect on October 1st of that year so on September 14th, no - they would not have needed the HQL. I bought a H&K USP 45 after the law was passed but before the law took effect.

You don't have to have an HQL to sell a handgun - only to purchase one. You also don't need an HQL to keep the guns you had before the law took effect.
Old June 2nd, 2021, 10:54 AM #3

Thank you for the info
kool361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2021, 11:18 AM #4

Between April and end of September 2013 , there was a Maryland Specific buying spree of equal or greater magnitude than the ongoing Zombie Apocalypse/ Burning Cities/ 2020 Election joint Panic . ( At least as far as Handguns and vaguely scary looking rifles , ammo availability and prices only moderately affected .)
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2021, 11:55 AM #5
Guns 'n Drums

Guns 'n Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
Between April and end of September 2013 , there was a Maryland Specific buying spree of equal or greater magnitude than the ongoing Zombie Apocalypse/ Burning Cities/ 2020 Election joint Panic . ( At least as far as Handguns and vaguely scary looking rifles , ammo availability and prices only moderately affected .)
I purchased that H&K USP on consignment through a shop that wouldn't release the pistol until the MSP came through with the "not disapproved" paperwork. That pistol languished in Maryland's "7-day wait" jail for the better part of 6 weeks before I was allowed to take it home due to the backlog of purchases the MSP was dealing with.
Old June 2nd, 2021, 12:00 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
I purchased that H&K USP on consignment through a shop that wouldn't release the pistol until the MSP came through with the "not disapproved" paperwork. That pistol languished in Maryland's "7-day wait" jail for the better part of 6 weeks before I was allowed to take it home due to the backlog of purchases the MSP was dealing with.
For some of us, that delay lasted for several months.
Big difference between "will use violence to impose my political beliefs on others" and "will use violence to defend myself from those imposing their political beliefs on me". The former is the main ingredient of genocide, the latter is the only thing that has ever prevented it.
The Hand That Signs The Paycheck Rules The World

Originally Posted by Deep Lurker:
Quote:
Disclaimer: “No criminals will be harmed in the passage of these gun control bills.”
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2021, 01:38 PM #7

117 Days
Old June 2nd, 2021, 02:05 PM #8
Guns 'n Drums

Guns 'n Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
117 Days
This made me curious - I remembered it being roughly 6 weeks from date of purchase until I was allowed to pick it up, and figuring that I probably posted about it, I went and found it:

Quote:
Day 49, and no joy in Mudville.
Quote:
Correction - there IS joy in Mudville today, and I'll be going to pick up my USP later today.
So, just 49 days for me.
Old June 2nd, 2021, 02:21 PM #9

Seems that if the MSP can't complete their work within the designated time frame, it should be released automatically at the end of the 7 days. Of course, I know the MGA wrote the law with the intention of keeping handguns from as many people as possible, and they think they should be able to control us all since they are soooo intelligent.

I do not have and will never acquire an HQL! Can't buy everything that I would like but have what I need, and the state will not be profiting from their infringement upon my rights.
GuitarmanNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2021, 03:39 PM #10

Ironically , that purchase happened the very day the House of Delegates passed 281 . I literally left the State House , and proceeded to the closest LGS ( since out of business for unrelated reasons ) .

I did ask how long that 77R's were taking . The answer was that the Not Disapproveds they had recieved that day had been submitted 20 days prior . I mentally shrugged . That was within the norms of 1980's wait times , and I could hang with that. But the Rush was already started .

Turns out they had policy of waiting for actual Not Disapproved . And in fairness , most FFL then did, in no small part due to MSP intimidation . Insert rapid court action by MSI and MLFDA , and the actual letter of the law became recognized .

To Wit : After Seven Days , without recieving a Disapproved or Hold notice from MSP , a Maryland Regulated Weapons Dealer * MAY* release a firearm , but they are Not Required to do so .

So for the next 5 months , the first conversation between a prospective purchaser and FFL was " What's your policy on Early Release ? " . Developed to be a 3 way split : No Release , Automatic 8th Day , or something inbetween .( Inbetween could include previous regular customer , holder or things such as CCW , C&R 003 , Designated Collector Letter , etc . Or 10th day , or 14th day . These FFL weren't necessarily @holes . Due to MSP's Memorandum of Understanding with FBI , only MSP could run a NICS , and some dealers felt that due diligence required some level of vetting , rather than releasing to random person off the street totally unknown to them .)

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns