Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2021, 03:54 PM #61
MJD438's Avatar
MJD438 MJD438 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ln
Posts: 5,361
MJD438 MJD438 is online now
Senior Member
MJD438's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ln
Posts: 5,361
The House amended out the entirety of the canibis legislation and it is now just about ghost guns... Kipke is going to try amendments tomorrow in floor session.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MJD438 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2021, 04:06 PM #62
lazarus lazarus is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7,460
lazarus lazarus is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD438 View Post
The House amended out the entirety of the canibis legislation and it is now just about ghost guns... Kipke is going to try amendments tomorrow in floor session.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I perhaps missed this, but has the senate taken it up? Or had the senate passed the original cannabis bill and the house decided to strip out the cannabis language in their companion bill and just insert the ghost gun language and, see, we both passed the bill. Now reconcile it so the senate strips out the cannabis language and inserts our ghost gun language and everyone re-vote.

I guess I've been having a slow day or two as I didn't entirely understand what the drama was with the senate side of the equation.
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2021, 04:39 PM #63
MJD438's Avatar
MJD438 MJD438 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ln
Posts: 5,361
MJD438 MJD438 is online now
Senior Member
MJD438's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ln
Posts: 5,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I perhaps missed this, but has the senate taken it up? Or had the senate passed the original cannabis bill and the house decided to strip out the cannabis language in their companion bill and just insert the ghost gun language and, see, we both passed the bill. Now reconcile it so the senate strips out the cannabis language and inserts our ghost gun language and everyone re-vote.



I guess I've been having a slow day or two as I didn't entirely understand what the drama was with the senate side of the equation.
I'll answer this when I get to a real keyboard.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MJD438 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2021, 05:45 PM #64
Allen65 Allen65 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Anne Arundel County
Posts: 3,138
Allen65 Allen65 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Anne Arundel County
Posts: 3,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD438 View Post
The House amended out the entirety of the canibis legislation and it is now just about ghost guns... Kipke is going to try amendments tomorrow in floor session.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Well, they did solve the "one bill, one issue" problem that way.
Allen65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2021, 06:03 PM #65
MJD438's Avatar
MJD438 MJD438 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ln
Posts: 5,361
MJD438 MJD438 is online now
Senior Member
MJD438's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ln
Posts: 5,361
History of the current situation:
  1. SB0190 is presented as a repeat of the same bill from prior years.
  2. SB0190 is heard in JPR.
  3. SB0190 is voted out of committee (as it has been in other bill numbers over the past several years).
  4. SB0190 is voted through the Senate.
  5. SB0190 is presented to the House and assigned to JUD, where it sits for weeks with no action.
  6. With less than a couple of hours notice, the bill is amended to include a modified version of Del Lopez ghost gun bill (HB0638 - which was never voted on directly in House Judiciary) and voted out of House Judiciary.
  7. In floor debate, SB0190 has the original content (cannabis issues) completely gutted making it only the contents of HB0638 as amended.
  8. It now sits on "Special Order" so that the Republicans can try to re-amend it.
MSRPA Speculation:
  1. All Republican amendments will be deemed "unfriendly" and soundly defeated.
  2. SB0190 (now Ghost Guns and nothing to do with cannabis) will be voted through the House on party lines.
  3. SB0190 returns to the Senate who refuses to concur on the House Amendments.
  4. Conference Committee hijinks commence.
We can only hope that this issue irritates not only Senator Hough (the Sponsor of SB0190), but also Senator Smith (Chair of Judicial Proceedings) enough to make it die at the Conference Committee level.


This is why I constantly say that nothing is over until the gavels fall and we have to be on our toes to respond (phone calls) during the last few days of every session.
MJD438 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2021, 06:23 PM #66
lazarus lazarus is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7,460
lazarus lazarus is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD438 View Post
History of the current situation:
  1. SB0190 is presented as a repeat of the same bill from prior years.
  2. SB0190 is heard in JPR.
  3. SB0190 is voted out of committee (as it has been in other bill numbers over the past several years).
  4. SB0190 is voted through the Senate.
  5. SB0190 is presented to the House and assigned to JUD, where it sits for weeks with no action.
  6. With less than a couple of hours notice, the bill is amended to include a modified version of Del Lopez ghost gun bill (HB0638 - which was never voted on directly in House Judiciary) and voted out of House Judiciary.
  7. In floor debate, SB0190 has the original content (cannabis issues) completely gutted making it only the contents of HB0638 as amended.
  8. It now sits on "Special Order" so that the Republicans can try to re-amend it.
MSRPA Speculation:
  1. All Republican amendments will be deemed "unfriendly" and soundly defeated.
  2. SB0190 (now Ghost Guns and nothing to do with cannabis) will be voted through the House on party lines.
  3. SB0190 returns to the Senate who refuses to concur on the House Amendments.
  4. Conference Committee hijinks commence.
We can only hope that this issue irritates not only Senator Hough (the Sponsor of SB0190), but also Senator Smith (Chair of Judicial Proceedings) enough to make it die at the Conference Committee level.


This is why I constantly say that nothing is over until the gavels fall and we have to be on our toes to respond (phone calls) during the last few days of every session.
Thanks! I really appreciate the history and your insight. I'll sure be hoping it dies. I guess why I am not in politics. I just couldn't F over coworkers like that (ignoring the voting and non-voting public part).

If I looked at it in a rational way (and politics is not!) I'd think that, well the Senate must be on board with this. Because otherwise why the heck would the house do that? But on the other hand, as past has proven, the house often has a way to dick with things without senatorial concurrence and then I guess light some candles and hope the MD senate comes around.

Is it like they don't talk to each other at all? Because it doesn't just seem like a good way to not get what you want, it seems like a good way to burn relationships down the road too.

If ya'll realized too late you didn't move this thing, then it seems like you need to reach out to the relevant bill sponsor, chairperson and senate leadership and have a quick conversation with them about how to try to get it over the finish line. Not...do what they seem to have done.

PS I also really don't see how they manage to square the bill title with the bill subject. Now they have nothing to do with each other. I guess they cured the single subject issue. That doesn't solve their constitutional issues though. I guess it is a temperature check though that even if they fail this time, they are obviously desperate to get it done and it will be back next year for sure and they'll for sure make sure it gets done.

PPS come on midnight sine die. 77.5hrs to go.
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2021, 06:27 PM #67
Mark75H's Avatar
Mark75H Mark75H is offline
HVAC Expert
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Outside the Gates
Posts: 13,218
Mark75H Mark75H is offline
HVAC Expert
Mark75H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Outside the Gates
Posts: 13,218
Sine Die is midnight on Monday, correct?
__________________
2A ... Federal Constitutional Preemption

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Mark75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2021, 06:40 PM #68
MJD438's Avatar
MJD438 MJD438 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ln
Posts: 5,361
MJD438 MJD438 is online now
Senior Member
MJD438's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ln
Posts: 5,361
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Thanks! I really appreciate the history and your insight. I'll sure be hoping it dies. I guess why I am not in politics. I just couldn't F over coworkers like that (ignoring the voting and non-voting public part).

If I looked at it in a rational way (and politics is not!) I'd think that, well the Senate must be on board with this. Because otherwise why the heck would the house do that? But on the other hand, as past has proven, the house often has a way to dick with things without senatorial concurrence and then I guess light some candles and hope the MD senate comes around.

Is it like they don't talk to each other at all? Because it doesn't just seem like a good way to not get what you want, it seems like a good way to burn relationships down the road too.

If ya'll realized too late you didn't move this thing, then it seems like you need to reach out to the relevant bill sponsor, chairperson and senate leadership and have a quick conversation with them about how to try to get it over the finish line. Not...do what they seem to have done.

PS I also really don't see how they manage to square the bill title with the bill subject. Now they have nothing to do with each other. I guess they cured the single subject issue. That doesn't solve their constitutional issues though. I guess it is a temperature check though that even if they fail this time, they are obviously desperate to get it done and it will be back next year for sure and they'll for sure make sure it gets done.

PPS come on midnight sine die. 77.5hrs to go.
Hence the reason we euphemistically call it sausage-making, of really stinky tripe.


The two Chambers (House of Delegates and Senate) are, like all bicameral legislatures, setup to be an adversarial process, requiring negotiation and compromise.


The title is tentatively changed as a result of the House Floor Amendments today - "Untraceable and Undetectable Firearms - Purchase and Possession", but that will not reflect on the MGALEG website unless those amendments are accepted by the Senate if/when it returns to them following House voting actions.



To me (CONJECTURE WARNING - no evidence to offer to back this up, just my best guess based on my short time being with MSRPA in my various roles): this is a result of acrimony between the members of the two judicial committees (House Judiciary & Senate Judicial Proceedings) as well as pressure from the anti-2A groups that are frustrated with the lack of movement of their pet projects over the past several years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
Sine Die is midnight on Monday, correct?

Yes, Sine Die (00:00:00 12APR2021 into 13APR2021) cannot come soon enough. BUT, this should remind everyone of caution - we need all hands on deck to pay attention to the Floor Sessions over the next couple of days and be ready to communicate (email and phone calls) to their Delegates and Senators on a moment's notice. We need to make this irritating for them - make their offices have to check email and work the phones.

Last edited by MJD438; April 9th, 2021 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Added information about the bill title
MJD438 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2021, 01:18 PM #69
Nickberg500's Avatar
Nickberg500 Nickberg500 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: North of Baltimore County
Posts: 692
Nickberg500 Nickberg500 is online now
Member
Nickberg500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: North of Baltimore County
Posts: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD438 View Post
Hence the reason we euphemistically call it sausage-making, of really stinky tripe.


The two Chambers (House of Delegates and Senate) are, like all bicameral legislatures, setup to be an adversarial process, requiring negotiation and compromise.


The title is tentatively changed as a result of the House Floor Amendments today - "Untraceable and Undetectable Firearms - Purchase and Possession", but that will not reflect on the MGALEG website unless those amendments are accepted by the Senate if/when it returns to them following House voting actions.



To me (CONJECTURE WARNING - no evidence to offer to back this up, just my best guess based on my short time being with MSRPA in my various roles): this is a result of acrimony between the members of the two judicial committees (House Judiciary & Senate Judicial Proceedings) as well as pressure from the anti-2A groups that are frustrated with the lack of movement of their pet projects over the past several years.




Yes, Sine Die (00:00:00 12APR2021 into 13APR2021) cannot come soon enough. BUT, this should remind everyone of caution - we need all hands on deck to pay attention to the Floor Sessions over the next couple of days and be ready to communicate (email and phone calls) to their Delegates and Senators on a moment's notice. We need to make this irritating for them - make their offices have to check email and work the phones.
Is it worth calling all of the Senators/Delegates, instead of just those in the judicial committee? I've been calling/emailing the judicial committees only.
Nickberg500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2021, 01:28 PM #70
rbird7282's Avatar
rbird7282 rbird7282 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 11,591
rbird7282 rbird7282 is offline
Senior Member
rbird7282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 11,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD438 View Post
History of the current situation:
  1. SB0190 is presented as a repeat of the same bill from prior years.
  2. SB0190 is heard in JPR.
  3. SB0190 is voted out of committee (as it has been in other bill numbers over the past several years).
  4. SB0190 is voted through the Senate.
  5. SB0190 is presented to the House and assigned to JUD, where it sits for weeks with no action.
  6. With less than a couple of hours notice, the bill is amended to include a modified version of Del Lopez ghost gun bill (HB0638 - which was never voted on directly in House Judiciary) and voted out of House Judiciary.
  7. In floor debate, SB0190 has the original content (cannabis issues) completely gutted making it only the contents of HB0638 as amended.
  8. It now sits on "Special Order" so that the Republicans can try to re-amend it.
MSRPA Speculation:
  1. All Republican amendments will be deemed "unfriendly" and soundly defeated.
  2. SB0190 (now Ghost Guns and nothing to do with cannabis) will be voted through the House on party lines.
  3. SB0190 returns to the Senate who refuses to concur on the House Amendments.
  4. Conference Committee hijinks commence.
We can only hope that this issue irritates not only Senator Hough (the Sponsor of SB0190), but also Senator Smith (Chair of Judicial Proceedings) enough to make it die at the Conference Committee level.


This is why I constantly say that nothing is over until the gavels fall and we have to be on our toes to respond (phone calls) during the last few days of every session.
How in the fvck is any of this legal? They can't change the bill completely from it's original form to a totally different subject can they? (Legally speaking)
rbird7282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2021, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service