Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > The Depot
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 14th, 2021, 03:26 PM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisepaw View Post
Anyone try to climate control their own space in an outdoor barn or workshop? How is THAT working out in keeping them protected?
what i did for ammo that doesn't fit in my safe is put it in a couple of the super large plastic bins (rubbermaid etc) and put a goldenrod in each one. you could do that for a larger cabinet etc that had a decent seal on it.
davsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2021, 04:04 PM #12
Purity of Essence

Purity of Essence

Quote:
Not funny. She's armed and looking for you now. She's a better shot than I am...
I'm not worried. The queue of women I've pissed off is long. She'll probably find something else to be pissed off about in another minute. I'd leave now if I were you.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2021, 04:19 PM #13

I would ask what size, volume, of space are you trying to control? Can you build your own? Dehumidifier and heater on control units should get the job done.
ToBeFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2021, 04:40 PM #14
... AS LONG AS THEY FEAR

... AS LONG AS THEY FEAR

Dry rods have always worked for me
warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2021, 06:37 PM #15

A BIG difference between a safe in a house and safe in an unconditioned garage or shed.

Of course, you could insulate and condition the garage or shed.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2021, 08:44 PM #16
boisepaw

boisepaw

I gotta say...just to be absolutely truthful...that if any of you ever meet my wife you will know that I made it all up as a feeble attempt at humor. She is actually the one that is more concerned about my firearms than am I. She has never so much as frowned at one of my many purchases or at the many, many times I am out shooting one thing or another. She's the one that makes sure I go out and buy firearms specifically for her...think M1 Carbine(s) or a Springfield XDe or a Sig Trailside amongst others. And I'm dead serious in saying that she is a better shot than I am...with the right firearm anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K31 View Post
I'm not worried. The queue of women I've pissed off is long. She'll probably find something else to be pissed off about in another minute. I'd leave now if I were you.
boisepaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2021, 08:46 PM #17
boisepaw

boisepaw

Let's just say that last fall we built a 10' x 22' "shed" thinking one day we would turn it into a guest house.

It might be turned into a gun and reloading room before it becomes a guest house...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFree View Post
I would ask what size, volume, of space are you trying to control? Can you build your own? Dehumidifier and heater on control units should get the job done.
boisepaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2021, 10:51 PM #18

Quote:
Let's just say that last fall we built a 10' x 22' "shed" thinking one day we would turn it into a guest house.

It might be turned into a gun and reloading room before it becomes a guest house...
I’d covert it to conditioned storage and workshop. A 110v mini split is less than $1000. Keep it at a vaguely reasonable temp and most can be set to dehumidify mode. Of course if you need someone to install it that’d probably up the price to 2-3x as much (sorry, not sure how much more. I do all my own permitted work).

Wife and I have been taking about buying a large property in western MD or WV. Thought I’d use it for camping for a couple of years. Then probably build cabins. Very plural.

Probably building them roughly 12x16. Do a communal bathhouse/cabin. If we move there in retirement probably build a real house. But on the smaller side. Use the cabins as guest houses for the kids visiting. Or if we have grandkids visiting some day. But I’d probably convert one to guns/hunting/ammo work shop. Probably won’t have a house big enough to have that at whatever the next place is.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2021, 10:58 PM #19

Quote:
Probably a dumb question but...doesn't the golden rod get plugged in? Your safe must have an outlet to get it plugged in?
By mounting the goldenrod as low as practically possible - AND HORIZONTALLY (keep this WIDTH in mind when ordering which LENGTH Goldenrod) - the slightly warm air rises to create a CONVECTION within the closed space ... works incredibly effectively and I lucked out as my multiple Treadloks allow for mounting at a very low point on the inside of the door ...

Never ceases to amaze me those danged things have been working non-stop - and 4 or 5 interstate moves - for going on OVER FORTY (40!) YEARS!!!!!!!!

GoldenRod® has a Lifetime Guarantee. Plug it in and forget about it! UL listed and made in the USA.

https://www.safeandlockstore.com/blo...and-gunsavers/

Top 100 Money Quotes of All Time: https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertb...h=6ef8ea5e4998

Oh that my life were such that the same new headline appearing more than one place on a forums board is what it took to irk me; something to aim for, I suppose ...
slsc98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2021, 10:59 PM #20
Marcus Aurelius Wannabe

Marcus Aurelius Wannabe

I have a goldenrod but am suspicious it does not get warm enough. I can easily hold it in my bare hand without any discomfort so I don't think it does much for raising in safe temps. Am I mistaken?
mpollan1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > The Depot