Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Shotguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2021, 06:30 PM #21
byf43's Avatar
byf43 byf43 is online now
SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern Maryland ("Chuck County")
Posts: 8,870
byf43 byf43 is online now
SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
byf43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern Maryland ("Chuck County")
Posts: 8,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Chevelle427 View Post
No problem. I'm wanting it to look more like my police 870's, (or the all black Maverick 88) as far as barrel/mag tube lengths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Chevelle427 View Post
Here is the 8 round extension, compared to the 20" barrel.

3" difference, so the 7 round one should be perfect.

I put the stock on, but want to wait until the extension is on first, before adding those pics.
Sweeeeeeeet!!!

My son just picked up an 870 w/ magazine extension, and it's about an inch longer than the 18-1/2" barrel. He's not concerned about that, at all.
(Even though I have a couple of Scattergun Technologies and a Remington +2 extension in my cabinet.)

He found the 870 after he bought the "Boss Hog".
He found it. I was going to buy it (I had the $$$ in my pocket - he didn't), but, I wound up loaning him the funds.

I need to measure the distance(s) between any pins in the receiver, and find him a shellholder that'll work.

The 7 round extension on that scattergun should be perfect!!
__________________

With regard to reloading:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff7mm 04/28/2016, 07:32 PM
Dealing with stuff that can cause catastrophic failure in your firearms, and injury or death to you and those in close proximity. I treat every step as if my life depends on it.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." - H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012

Last edited by byf43; March 9th, 2021 at 09:01 PM.
byf43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2021, 06:54 PM #22
Bisleyfan44's Avatar
Bisleyfan44 Bisleyfan44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wicomico
Posts: 1,512
Bisleyfan44 Bisleyfan44 is offline
Senior Member
Bisleyfan44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wicomico
Posts: 1,512
May be a bit late and this is advertised for Rems, but it may work.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod75328.aspx
__________________
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
-Declaration of Independence 7/4/1776
Bisleyfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2021, 07:20 PM #23
Growler215 Growler215 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: SOMD
Posts: 166
Growler215 Growler215 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: SOMD
Posts: 166
I got one of those extensions years ago. Didn't realize when I bought it that the indents on a stock 870 tube would prevent it from working.

In the end I decided not to mess with drilling or grinding on my Wingmaster or SPS Super Magnum Turkey Camo. Now looking for a (relatively) cheap 870 Express to turn into a tactical shotgun. Bought an 18.5" Carlson barrel with rifle sights threaded for rem chokes on ebay to use on it when I find one.
Growler215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2021, 07:41 PM #24
SWO Daddy SWO Daddy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,040
SWO Daddy SWO Daddy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler215 View Post
I got one of those extensions years ago. Didn't realize when I bought it that the indents on a stock 870 tube would prevent it from working.

In the end I decided not to mess with drilling or grinding on my Wingmaster or SPS Super Magnum Turkey Camo. Now looking for a (relatively) cheap 870 Express to turn into a tactical shotgun. Bought an 18.5" Carlson barrel with rifle sights threaded for rem chokes on ebay to use on it when I find one.
Buy one of the plugs you hammer into the extension off ebay. I did that to my 870 and it's like the dimples never existed. Much cleaner than drilling.

This is what I bought:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGAZINE-TU....m46890.l49292
SWO Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2021, 06:58 AM #25
71Chevelle427's Avatar
71Chevelle427 71Chevelle427 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,992
71Chevelle427 71Chevelle427 is online now
Senior Member
71Chevelle427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisleyfan44 View Post
May be a bit late and this is advertised for Rems, but it may work.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod75328.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler215 View Post
I got one of those extensions years ago. Didn't realize when I bought it that the indents on a stock 870 tube would prevent it from working.

In the end I decided not to mess with drilling or grinding on my Wingmaster
That's odd.
The Carlson extensions on my Wingmaster and Police Magnum, pictured above, did not have any dimples preventing them from doing what they were designed to do.

Is it only the newer 870's that have the dimples?

My 870 PM is a 1995, and the 870 WM is a 1972 model.

As for the OP...
The Turkish Citadel Warthog (or Boss Hog as some call it) that I am modifying, has a "roll crimp" (Thanks Biggfoot44) which means the entire end of the mag tube is basically "rolled over" to prevent the plastic sleeve and mag tube spring in place. That (the crimp) is what I removed with a carbide bit and sandpaper roll.

To cut the original mag tube down in order to eliminate the crimp, like the video suggests, easily causes the loss of 2-3 threads. There is only 5-7 threads to start with, when the forend is in place. This is why I chose to remove the "crimp", from the inside.

This way, the length, and threads, are 100% the same as they were to begin with.
71Chevelle427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2021, 07:58 AM #26
Bountied's Avatar
Bountied Bountied is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 2,280
Bountied Bountied is online now
Senior Member
Bountied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler215 View Post
I got one of those extensions years ago. Didn't realize when I bought it that the indents on a stock 870 tube would prevent it from working.

In the end I decided not to mess with drilling or grinding on my Wingmaster or SPS Super Magnum Turkey Camo. Now looking for a (relatively) cheap 870 Express to turn into a tactical shotgun. Bought an 18.5" Carlson barrel with rifle sights threaded for rem chokes on ebay to use on it when I find one.
Yeah I wouldn't do this mod to any nice Remingtons you have. It is easy to do and the only down side is that the spring retention plug will pop out when you remove the cap, not the biggest issue in the world but might hurt resale if they look for it. I used a Dremel to grind and then polished the inside worked great and no cosmetic issues.
Bountied is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2021, 09:17 AM #27
byf43's Avatar
byf43 byf43 is online now
SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern Maryland ("Chuck County")
Posts: 8,870
byf43 byf43 is online now
SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
byf43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern Maryland ("Chuck County")
Posts: 8,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Chevelle427 View Post
That's odd.
The Carlson extensions on my Wingmaster and Police Magnum, pictured above, did not have any dimples preventing them from doing what they were designed to do.

Is it only the newer 870's that have the dimples?

My 870 PM is a 1995, and the 870 WM is a 1972 model.

As for the OP...
The Turkish Citadel Warthog (or Boss Hog as some call it) that I am modifying, has a "roll crimp" (Thanks Biggfoot44) which means the entire end of the mag tube is basically "rolled over" to prevent the plastic sleeve and mag tube spring in place. That (the crimp) is what I removed with a carbide bit and sandpaper roll.

To cut the original mag tube down in order to eliminate the crimp, like the video suggests, easily causes the loss of 2-3 threads. There is only 5-7 threads to start with, when the forend is in place. This is why I chose to remove the "crimp", from the inside.

This way, the length, and threads, are 100% the same as they were to begin with.
I own/have owned several 870(s) over the years.
My beloved wife bought me a Wingmaster for Christmas, in '88, and it doesn't have 'the dimples'.
The original 'Express', called "Sportsman 12" that I had, didn't have 'the dimples', either. Like a fool, I sold that to a good friend. It was a fantastic scattergun. He still has it.

The first 870 that I removed 'the dimples' on, is an Express model that I bought and gifted to my oldest daughter, when she moved into her first house.
I had read several articles and read on several forums, that using a deep socket (don't remember which size) driven carefully into the magazine tube, can swage out 'the dimples'.
Darned near ruined that mag tube, doing that.
I wound up drilling the dimples out, and touched up the holes with cold blue.
I don't give a crap about re-sale. It's my daughter's shotgun, now.
Knoxx SpecOps stock w/"PowerPak" shellholder. Remington +2 extension. Sidesaddle shellholder added.
She's got a nice HD scattergun, and knows how to use it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountied View Post
Yeah I wouldn't do this mod to any nice Remingtons you have. It is easy to do and the only down side is that the spring retention plug will pop out when you remove the cap, not the biggest issue in the world but might hurt resale if they look for it. I used a Dremel to grind and then polished the inside worked great and no cosmetic issues.
Back when I bought the Express for my daughter, I contacted Remington, and bought several of the spring steel magazine spring retainers that they previously used.
Midway USA had a quantity recently, and I got a couple for 20 ga (now discontinued, per Midway USA).
__________________

With regard to reloading:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff7mm 04/28/2016, 07:32 PM
Dealing with stuff that can cause catastrophic failure in your firearms, and injury or death to you and those in close proximity. I treat every step as if my life depends on it.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." - H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2021, 11:06 AM #28
Growler215 Growler215 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: SOMD
Posts: 166
Growler215 Growler215 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: SOMD
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWO Daddy View Post
Buy one of the plugs you hammer into the extension off ebay. I did that to my 870 and it's like the dimples never existed. Much cleaner than drilling.

This is what I bought:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGAZINE-TU....m46890.l49292
Thanks!

Still planning on getting an 870 Express (don't want a side saddle or extension tube on my hunting shotguns), but I will get one of these swag tools if it has the dinples.
Growler215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2021, 11:21 AM #29
Bountied's Avatar
Bountied Bountied is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 2,280
Bountied Bountied is online now
Senior Member
Bountied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler215 View Post
Thanks!

Still planning on getting an 870 Express (don't want a side saddle or extension tube on my hunting shotguns), but I will get one of these swag tools if it has the dinples.
I didn't drill mine because it didn't want to have holes in the tube. A Dremel and a little patience did the job and the outside looks the same.
Bountied is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2021, 10:10 AM #30
71Chevelle427's Avatar
71Chevelle427 71Chevelle427 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,992
71Chevelle427 71Chevelle427 is online now
Senior Member
71Chevelle427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by byf43 View Post
Sweeeeeeeet!!!

My son just picked up an 870 w/ magazine extension, and it's about an inch longer than the 18-1/2" barrel. He's not concerned about that, at all.
(Even though I have a couple of Scattergun Technologies and a Remington +2 extension in my cabinet.)

He found the 870 after he bought the "Boss Hog".
He found it. I was going to buy it (I had the $$$ in my pocket - he didn't), but, I wound up loaning him the funds.

I need to measure the distance(s) between any pins in the receiver, and find him a shellholder that'll work.

The 7 round extension on that scattergun should be perfect!!
Hey there. I made a little "project" thread on the Citadel, if you want to check it out.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=255135
71Chevelle427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Shotguns


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2021, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service