• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    looking at the Spikes 9mm Uppers but they are 8-12 month wait, but i wanted it to match my spikes 9mm lower....

any other suggestions out there for a good reliable complete upper?

i was thinking 8" or so, but open to other suggestions of ppl who already have one

will also be using it with a can.

hosspower

Dec 1, 2019
    Walkersville, MD
    Just remember, if you are using a suppressor, that a shorter barrel helps to keep the feet per second down. FPS on a 9mm is usually rated out of a 4 to 5 inch barrel. I doubt there will be much increase, but there will definitely be some. I run a 5inch CMMG and it is pretty awesome with a can and subsonic ammo.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    Just remember, if you are using a suppressor, that a shorter barrel helps to keep the feet per second down. FPS on a 9mm is usually rated out of a 4 to 5 inch barrel. I doubt there will be much increase, but there will definitely be some. I run a 5inch CMMG and it is pretty awesome with a can and subsonic ammo.

curious what distance you shoot it at... this is a simply pure fun gun, so i dont plan on shooting it past 50 yards... should i go 5" too?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I like matching receiver manufacturers if at all possible, and would probably scrounge for a spikes. I like to build, and 9mm without a gas system is really easy to do. I LOVE a QC10 build I did with a VLTOR PCC MUR upper. It has a big gas deflector, short/wide ejection port and is a perfect fit to the Raptor CH and QC10 lower with tight gaps and nice smooth function. All of that adds up to GREATLY cut down on gas in the face, blowback AR9s are usually terrible for that, especially when suppressed. For barrel/handguard length, the shorter the barrel, the better it functions, no gas system to worry about, less OAL with a can attatched, less residual pressure when it cycles, and better chance of keeping ammo subsonic. Generally I find handguards under 7" to get cramped, so depending on your can, and attachment method you may go for a longer barrel, 3 lug adapter(extends muzzle 1.5"), or a linear comp so a short barrel clears the handguard, and may consider a handguard wide enough that the can will fit inside it. This is my 7" barreled QC10 AR9 with 3 lug in a 7.25" handguard with a 6.5" long Griffin Optimus (in the middle). Fun as hell to shoot, accurate, can reach out to 200yds, perfectly reliable, very little gas in the face, and 1/2" muzzle past the handguard(3 lug adapter) to shoot with or without the can.

Attachments

• 20201030_200429.jpg
      20201030_200429.jpg
      66.2 KB · Views: 284

hosspower

Dec 1, 2019
    Walkersville, MD
    I usually shoot it at 50 yards although I am sure it could easily go out farther. With just a red dot, it bangs 8" steel pretty easily from a standing position.

curious what distance you shoot it at... this is a simply pure fun gun, so i dont plan on shooting it past 50 yards... should i go 5" too?

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I agree with alucard0822's analysis regarding a 7" barrel for 9mm PCC. I just don't like a pistol brace. Honestly, I can't stand them at all. I started out with a pistol brace 9mm Foxtrot Mike upper and lower but went with a 16" barrel and a real stock. One day, one I live in a place that allows it (i.e. >29" OAL), I will go to an SBR config for the 9mm PCC. If you don't mind a brace, yes, that is much more practical all around.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Permanently attached suppressor.

/thread.

That's an option however, one should consider how dirty pistol rounds are if you don't have a can that can be dissembled for cleaning. My 9mm can builds up quite a bit of carbon and lead from the exposed back end of FMJ rounds. If you have a pistol can that you can't tear apart, I would highly suggest sticking to plated round so there is no exposed lead on the bullet.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That's an option however, one should consider how dirty pistol rounds are if you don't have a can that can be dissembled for cleaning. My 9mm can builds up quite a bit of carbon and lead from the exposed back end of FMJ rounds. If you have a pistol can that you can't tear apart, I would highly suggest sticking to plated round so there is no exposed lead on the bullet.

You can easily buy/make a user serviceable permanently attached suppressor. Only the tube needs to be permanently attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom