Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > The Depot
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 20th, 2021, 09:20 PM #11

Define dry for your modern basement?

Do you know the humidity level? Because a modern not wet basement could mean a house built in the 70s or 90s or 2 years ago. Dry could mean no standing water. Or it could mean a vapor barrier in the walls and dehumidifiers with a humidity level under 50%.

Mine is stored in MTM cans or crates off the floor. Nothing else special for the storage. The basement is kept at 55% or below humidity 55% in the summer, glancing over at my remote humidistat right now it is 39%).

Most basements will hover at between 60 and 70% humidity in the summer unless extraordinary steps were taken to vapor proof it during construction or you run a dehumidifier. On the lower end of that if your basement is piped with A/C. On the higher end if it isn’t.

IMHO you ideally want the humidity under 60%. Ideally more like 50%. Don’t want it under 30% though as that can cause wood shrinkage and cracking issues in the long term.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2021, 09:30 PM #12

I wouldn't worry about storing it for too long as You'll probably be using it soon enough!
ToBeFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2021, 05:21 PM #13

GREAT lengths were taken during construction, 12" gravel with 3 sets of daylight drain tile, vapor barrier under concrete slab, membrain on ext of concrete walls. Fome insulated house with 2 stage HP to keep humidity low.
Typ summer humidity is 45 -50% in the house, no higher than 55% in basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Define dry for your modern basement?

Do you know the humidity level? Because a modern not wet basement could mean a house built in the 70s or 90s or 2 years ago. Dry could mean no standing water. Or it could mean a vapor barrier in the walls and dehumidifiers with a humidity level under 50%.

Mine is stored in MTM cans or crates off the floor. Nothing else special for the storage. The basement is kept at 55% or below humidity 55% in the summer, glancing over at my remote humidistat right now it is 39%).

Most basements will hover at between 60 and 70% humidity in the summer unless extraordinary steps were taken to vapor proof it during construction or you run a dehumidifier. On the lower end of that if your basement is piped with A/C. On the higher end if it isnít.

IMHO you ideally want the humidity under 60%. Ideally more like 50%. Donít want it under 30% though as that can cause wood shrinkage and cracking issues in the long term.
Mr.Culper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2021, 05:26 PM #14

If your getting tarnish after only 15-20 years , your storage conditions aren't as good as you think .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2021, 07:57 PM #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Culper View Post
GREAT lengths were taken during construction, 12" gravel with 3 sets of daylight drain tile, vapor barrier under concrete slab, membrain on ext of concrete walls. Fome insulated house with 2 stage HP to keep humidity low.
Typ summer humidity is 45 -50% in the house, no higher than 55% in basement.
Do you have a separate, and good, humidistat to verify? Or is that what your thermostat is telling you? The later I’ve found to generally not be very accurate.

Also what is the humidity where you are storing the ammo? Is it off the floor?

One thing to point out is that the closer to the floor, the higher the relative humidity. If sitting on the floor (concrete slab, carpet or wood) it’ll be even cooler and higher relative humidity.

Granted my ceilings are high, but a typical summer time temp is about 77F near the ceiling in my basement (no A/C down there. I keep the upstairs at 79F). 76F at the height of the thermostat. It’s about 74F right near the floor and the floor measures typically at 70-72F for the concrete slab itself.

So what could be 55% near the thermostat might be more like 65% RH on the slab.

The importance of keeping your stuff thermally insulated from the floor (safe or Ammo).

My 55% is in my gun room on my bench. Same as measured in several spots of my basement near the floor. Safe is sitting on 1/4” foam board and anchored to the floor with a rechargeable desiccant pack designed for a small room in there. Humidity ranges from 52-53% in it measured near the floor (humidistat is sitting on a shelf up higher).
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2021, 10:00 PM #16
no error code for stupid

no error code for stupid

I changed the desiccant ratio 483/91 area coverage to 5.3 10 gram packs instead of ounces for an empty 50cal ammo can. Wrong measurement name.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 07:52 AM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
If your getting tarnish after only 15-20 years , your storage conditions aren't as good as you think .
Does exterior tarnish have any effect on the powder or primer? I'd imagine with milsurp stuff that has sealed primers, exterior tarnish shouldn't play too much of a factor unless it's flaking or has a residue, in terms of a semi auto feeding correctly. I've only shot 60's era 7.62 that was pretty badly tarnished and it all worked well. I wiped it down with a cloth and remoil before though. If I was storing factory new ammo now I'm not that worried about what will happen in 50 years since I will be gone.
Bountied is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2021, 10:34 AM #18

I put mine in a rubbermaid bin with an opened bag of rice. Can anyone tell me whether this is smart or dumb? Obviously I'd like to preserve it as long as possible.
Ed Anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2021, 08:43 AM #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Anger View Post
I put mine in a rubbermaid bin with an opened bag of rice. Can anyone tell me whether this is smart or dumb? Obviously I'd like to preserve it as long as possible.
Not dumb but probably not as good as a non perishable desiccant.
Bountied is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2021, 08:56 AM #20

I'd like to find a storage solution that would allow me to make use of an uncontrolled crawl space. The crawl space is always dry (as in flooding) but is exposed to outside humidity and temperatures.
Ponder_MD is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > The Depot