Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Edged Weapons
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2020, 06:13 PM #61
AliasNeo07's Avatar
AliasNeo07 AliasNeo07 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: AACo
Posts: 5,076
Send a message via AIM to AliasNeo07
AliasNeo07 AliasNeo07 is offline
Senior Member
AliasNeo07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: AACo
Posts: 5,076
Send a message via AIM to AliasNeo07
So after a couple days of carrying an OTF, the biggest question I have is, why? Other than the coolness factor and impressing your friends, it seems to me that a traditional folding knife is superior in every way.

Traditional folders are more durable because they don't have the extra parts, especially more durable than an OTF. And if you're the type that worries about the deployment speed, I still think traditional is faster. When you take it out of your pocket you have to find the button or lever and press it. With a traditional folder, even if you miss the thumb stud or the hole, centrifugal force is usually enough to get it open in a hurry. Not so with an auto.

So it seems to me that traditional folders are superior other than the coolness factor. Now granted this is from carrying an OTF. I may feel differently carrying a different type of auto with a more traditional deployment and a button. Like a microtech LUDT. The OTF mechanism also requires a blade geometry that just isn't as useful. I like something with some belly.

I'll have to get an LUDT.
__________________
MSI, NRA
AliasNeo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2020, 08:13 PM #62
boatme99's Avatar
boatme99 boatme99 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mid-Tenn.
Posts: 1,215
boatme99 boatme99 is offline
Senior Member
boatme99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mid-Tenn.
Posts: 1,215
My problem with quick opening knives is the thumb stud. It's annoying in the pocket.
__________________
Tennessee - Patron State of Shootin' Stuff.

"There are three reasons to own a gun. To protect yourself and your family, to hunt dangerous and delicious animals, and to keep the King of England out of your face." Krusty the Clown
boatme99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2020, 01:53 PM #63
steveh326 steveh326 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mt. Airy
Posts: 1,253
steveh326 steveh326 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mt. Airy
Posts: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliasNeo07 View Post
So after a couple days of carrying an OTF, the biggest question I have is, why? Other than the coolness factor and impressing your friends, it seems to me that a traditional folding knife is superior in every way.

Traditional folders are more durable because they don't have the extra parts, especially more durable than an OTF. And if you're the type that worries about the deployment speed, I still think traditional is faster. When you take it out of your pocket you have to find the button or lever and press it. With a traditional folder, even if you miss the thumb stud or the hole, centrifugal force is usually enough to get it open in a hurry. Not so with an auto.

So it seems to me that traditional folders are superior other than the coolness factor. Now granted this is from carrying an OTF. I may feel differently carrying a different type of auto with a more traditional deployment and a button. Like a microtech LUDT. The OTF mechanism also requires a blade geometry that just isn't as useful. I like something with some belly.

I'll have to get an LUDT.
no clue about the OTFs, but I occasionally carry a Boker auto that I like very much. release button falls easily to my finger. that said, most of the time I carry either assisted opening or Benchmade axis locks, both of which deploy easily one handed and as quick as I would ever need. I do think the OTFs are cool tho but will prolly never own one.
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2020, 02:10 PM #64
Schipperke Schipperke is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 16,780
Schipperke Schipperke is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 16,780
Any knife with an Emerson Wave opener is legal, and quicker than pushing a button. Knife is open as soon as it leaves your pocket.
Schipperke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2020, 04:11 PM #65
Dave.B Dave.B is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,960
Dave.B Dave.B is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliasNeo07 View Post
So after a couple days of carrying an OTF, the biggest question I have is, why? Other than the coolness factor and impressing your friends, it seems to me that a traditional folding knife is superior in every way.

Traditional folders are more durable because they don't have the extra parts, especially more durable than an OTF. And if you're the type that worries about the deployment speed, I still think traditional is faster. When you take it out of your pocket you have to find the button or lever and press it. With a traditional folder, even if you miss the thumb stud or the hole, centrifugal force is usually enough to get it open in a hurry. Not so with an auto.

So it seems to me that traditional folders are superior other than the coolness factor. Now granted this is from carrying an OTF. I may feel differently carrying a different type of auto with a more traditional deployment and a button. Like a microtech LUDT. The OTF mechanism also requires a blade geometry that just isn't as useful. I like something with some belly.

I'll have to get an LUDT.
The biggest advantage and OTF knife has over any folding traditional knife is the safeness of the lock, if the traditional has one. With an OTF if the lock fails the user doesn't go home with stitches. Also, while many manufacturers make impractical blade profiles for their OTF offerings, there are models offered with drop point blades designed for utility. As I'm sure you know, the OTF knives of today are nothing like the cheap NATO OTF knives of the 70's and 80's. The build quality and robustness of today's knives are light years ahead of the auto knifes of the past.
Dave.B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2020, 07:00 AM #66
ironpony's Avatar
ironpony ironpony is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Crofton/Davidsonville
Posts: 5,931
ironpony ironpony is offline
Member
ironpony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Crofton/Davidsonville
Posts: 5,931
I use knives daily for cutting anything and find the OTF dainty for my use however, some are pretty enough to easily cut a small notch ... out of ones man card lol, no offense meant. FYI, I ran across dbl action OTFs on Amazon and all under $50, SS blades, no questions asked, no! Currently cannot find an auto, full size, non-metal handle I like/trust, as a tool.
__________________
ICBW
ironpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2020, 09:49 AM #67
Buff7mm's Avatar
Buff7mm Buff7mm is offline
Hooligan #2
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Garrett County
Posts: 12,509
Buff7mm Buff7mm is offline
Hooligan #2
Buff7mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Garrett County
Posts: 12,509
Here’s where I’ve been getting my auto from, the house brand seems to be well built so far.

https://www.vipertecknives.com/
__________________
U.S. Army Veteran
☠Buff➐㎣☠
Buff7mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2020, 02:03 PM #68
Dave.B Dave.B is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,960
Dave.B Dave.B is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I use knives daily for cutting anything and find the OTF dainty for my use however, some are pretty enough to easily cut a small notch ... out of ones man card lol, no offense meant. FYI, I ran across dbl action OTFs on Amazon and all under $50, SS blades, no questions asked, no! Currently cannot find an auto, full size, non-metal handle I like/trust, as a tool.
Stop looking at shitty China made auto knives and purchase a quality American produced knife. Microtech, Spyderco, Protech, Guardian Tactical, Paragon, Hogue, Piranha, Heretic, Gerber, Buck, Benchmade (reluctantly added), and Dalton are just some of the US manufacturers that make quality auto knives. You're not going to find a knife with good blade steel for $50.
Dave.B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2020, 04:04 PM #69
ironpony's Avatar
ironpony ironpony is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Crofton/Davidsonville
Posts: 5,931
ironpony ironpony is offline
Member
ironpony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Crofton/Davidsonville
Posts: 5,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.B View Post
Stop looking at shitty China made auto knives and purchase a quality American produced knife. Microtech, Spyderco, Protech, Guardian Tactical, Paragon, Hogue, Piranha, Heretic, Gerber, Buck, Benchmade (reluctantly added), and Dalton are just some of the US manufacturers that make quality auto knives. You're not going to find a knife with good blade steel for $50.

Amazon availability was in relation to the OPs question and previous conversation.

Good luck OP.
__________________
ICBW
ironpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2020, 04:14 PM #70
Dave.B Dave.B is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,960
Dave.B Dave.B is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Amazon availability was in relation to the OPs question and previous conversation.

Good luck OP.
Ah...understood
Dave.B is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Edged Weapons


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2021, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service