Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Edged Weapons
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old October 22nd, 2020, 06:13 PM #61

Send a message via AIM to AliasNeo07

Send a message via AIM to AliasNeo07
So after a couple days of carrying an OTF, the biggest question I have is, why? Other than the coolness factor and impressing your friends, it seems to me that a traditional folding knife is superior in every way.

Traditional folders are more durable because they don't have the extra parts, especially more durable than an OTF. And if you're the type that worries about the deployment speed, I still think traditional is faster. When you take it out of your pocket you have to find the button or lever and press it. With a traditional folder, even if you miss the thumb stud or the hole, centrifugal force is usually enough to get it open in a hurry. Not so with an auto.

So it seems to me that traditional folders are superior other than the coolness factor. Now granted this is from carrying an OTF. I may feel differently carrying a different type of auto with a more traditional deployment and a button. Like a microtech LUDT. The OTF mechanism also requires a blade geometry that just isn't as useful. I like something with some belly.

I'll have to get an LUDT.
Old October 22nd, 2020, 08:13 PM #62

My problem with quick opening knives is the thumb stud. It's annoying in the pocket.

"There are three reasons to own a gun. To protect yourself and your family, to hunt dangerous and delicious animals, and to keep the King of England out of your face." Krusty the Clown
boatme99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2020, 01:53 PM #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliasNeo07 View Post
So after a couple days of carrying an OTF, the biggest question I have is, why? Other than the coolness factor and impressing your friends, it seems to me that a traditional folding knife is superior in every way.

Traditional folders are more durable because they don't have the extra parts, especially more durable than an OTF. And if you're the type that worries about the deployment speed, I still think traditional is faster. When you take it out of your pocket you have to find the button or lever and press it. With a traditional folder, even if you miss the thumb stud or the hole, centrifugal force is usually enough to get it open in a hurry. Not so with an auto.

So it seems to me that traditional folders are superior other than the coolness factor. Now granted this is from carrying an OTF. I may feel differently carrying a different type of auto with a more traditional deployment and a button. Like a microtech LUDT. The OTF mechanism also requires a blade geometry that just isn't as useful. I like something with some belly.

no clue about the OTFs, but I occasionally carry a Boker auto that I like very much. release button falls easily to my finger. that said, most of the time I carry either assisted opening or Benchmade axis locks, both of which deploy easily one handed and as quick as I would ever need. I do think the OTFs are cool tho but will prolly never own one.
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2020, 02:10 PM #64
Banned

Banned

Any knife with an Emerson Wave opener is legal, and quicker than pushing a button. Knife is open as soon as it leaves your pocket.
Schipperke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2020, 04:11 PM #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliasNeo07 View Post

The biggest advantage and OTF knife has over any folding traditional knife is the safeness of the lock, if the traditional has one. With an OTF if the lock fails the user doesn't go home with stitches. Also, while many manufacturers make impractical blade profiles for their OTF offerings, there are models offered with drop point blades designed for utility. As I'm sure you know, the OTF knives of today are nothing like the cheap NATO OTF knives of the 70's and 80's. The build quality and robustness of today's knives are light years ahead of the auto knifes of the past.
Dave.B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2020, 07:00 AM #66

I use knives daily for cutting anything and find the OTF dainty for my use however, some are pretty enough to easily cut a small notch ... out of ones man card lol, no offense meant. FYI, I ran across dbl action OTFs on Amazon and all under $50, SS blades, no questions asked, no! Currently cannot find an auto, full size, non-metal handle I like/trust, as a tool.
Old October 24th, 2020, 09:49 AM #67
Hooligan #2

Hooligan #2

Here’s where I’ve been getting my auto from, the house brand seems to be well built so far.

https://www.vipertecknives.com/
Old October 24th, 2020, 02:03 PM #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I use knives daily for cutting anything and find the OTF dainty for my use however, some are pretty enough to easily cut a small notch ... out of ones man card lol, no offense meant. FYI, I ran across dbl action OTFs on Amazon and all under $50, SS blades, no questions asked, no! Currently cannot find an auto, full size, non-metal handle I like/trust, as a tool.
Stop looking at shitty China made auto knives and purchase a quality American produced knife. Microtech, Spyderco, Protech, Guardian Tactical, Paragon, Hogue, Piranha, Heretic, Gerber, Buck, Benchmade (reluctantly added), and Dalton are just some of the US manufacturers that make quality auto knives. You're not going to find a knife with good blade steel for $50.
Old October 24th, 2020, 04:04 PM #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.B View Post
Stop looking at shitty China made auto knives and purchase a quality American produced knife. Microtech, Spyderco, Protech, Guardian Tactical, Paragon, Hogue, Piranha, Heretic, Gerber, Buck, Benchmade (reluctantly added), and Dalton are just some of the US manufacturers that make quality auto knives. You're not going to find a knife with good blade steel for $50.

Amazon availability was in relation to the OPs question and previous conversation.

Good luck OP.
Old October 24th, 2020, 04:14 PM #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Amazon availability was in relation to the OPs question and previous conversation.

Good luck OP.
Ah...understood

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Edged Weapons