Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters
View Poll Results: How Long Did It Take TO Get Your HQL Approval?
< 1 Day 57 6.58%
2 Days 56 6.47%
3 Days 44 5.08%
4 Days 21 2.42%
5 Days 28 3.23%
6 Days 16 1.85%
7 Days 41 4.73%
8 Days 19 2.19%
9 Days 29 3.35%
10+ Days 552 63.74%
Denied HQL 7 0.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 866. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 22nd, 2020, 07:13 PM #1161

Quote:
Originally Posted by DdotC View Post
Hello! New poster here from MOCO.

Took HQL class via Fortress Training on 6/20. Checklist shows application received 6/23.

Recieved All clear on prints and background in the mail.

Zero movement since... checklist only shows one completed check....stuck on pending. Day 25...or Day 28, depending on whichever day qualifies as day 1.
I started mine 6/15 , progress in checked 7/15 , 7/16 active, now Iím waiting for my HQL in the mail . Anyone know how long it takes ?
Cmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2020, 07:15 PM #1162

Quote:
Got my approval today as well.

Do I need my card to by handgun or do I just need license number?
You need the physical card
Old July 22nd, 2020, 07:21 PM #1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB28 View Post
Alright, so here's the real wait times for buying a handgun in Maryland right now. I'm not discouraging anyone from buying a handgun, but rather trying to give you a realistic expectation of what to expect so you're not on here checking every single day wondering why you don't have your gun yet. I took my HQL class mid/late June was approved mid/late July and I'm still 7 days in waiting on my card to come in the mail. It feels good to get approved but just realize you have at least another two weeks after that before you can take your firearm home.

Finding an HQL Class to take - 5-7 Days
Submitting HQL Application/MSP Receiving It - 2 Days
Application Approval Time - 29-30 Days
Card Mail Time - 7-10 Days
Purchase Wait Time (Cool Off Period) - 7-8 Days
Total Time - 50-57 Days

So, as of right now in Maryland, from the time you decide you want to buy a handgun to the time you actually come home with your handgun it will take 50-57 days..... yes you read that right.... I know, I feel your pain and I'm in the same boat.

Some other things to know,

Why hasn't anything updated on my application? The only activity you will see on your application is everything will be marked completed at once and then a couple of hours later it will be active

Do I need my actual hql to buy a gun or can I use the number once it's active? No, you can't use the number you have to have the actual card to purchase the firearm

Can I start my 77r or purchase my gun and have it sent to my FFL so I don't have to wait the 7 days? No, you have to present your hql to the FFL when you purchase your firearm and they have to complete the 77r electronic application and submit it to MSP when you purchase your weapon which will then take 7-8 days to approve and only then can you go pick up your firearm.

As you can see there's no shortcuts, just lots and lots of patience required.
Are you positive on the 7-10 days in the mail ? Mine went active on 7/15 and I’m creeping up on that # and no card . They need to pass laws to put pressure on MSP to finish these things. It should be just like with the 77r form , if they don’t get you your HQL within 30 days you should be able to purchase a gun. And since we have the cool off time waiting to get the HQL I think we need to get rid of the eight day waiting period. It’s a bit excessive if you ask me
Old July 22nd, 2020, 07:48 PM #1164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmurray View Post
Are you positive on the 7-10 days in the mail ? Mine went active on 7/15 and Iím creeping up on that # and no card . They need to pass laws to put pressure on MSP to finish these things. It should be just like with the 77r form , if they donít get you your HQL within 30 days you should be able to purchase a gun. And since we have the cool off time waiting to get the HQL I think we need to get rid of the eight day waiting period. Itís a bit excessive if you ask me
No, I'm not positive on the 7-10 days in the mail that just seems to be what some recent posts on the threads have stated. Could be even longer now. I totally agree though, if you're going to give them 30 days for the HQL this should include them mailing it to you and the 7 day cool off time should be accounted for since you've already been waiting 30 days since wanting to purchase a handgun. The reason it is taking ridiculously long right now is because of the sheer number of applications that have been submitted. I read an article where they said they're working "around the clock" just to process the applications within the 30 day time period. Many people want more gun control until a pandemic hits and they realize the necessity of the right to bare arms and then suddenly everyone and their grandma buys every gun on the shelf and hoards all the ammo they can find.
JB28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2020, 11:35 AM #1165
Why should we Free BSD?

Why should we Free BSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB28 View Post
No, I'm not positive on the 7-10 days in the mail that just seems to be what some recent posts on the threads have stated. Could be even longer now. I totally agree though, if you're going to give them 30 days for the HQL this should include them mailing it to you and the 7 day cool off time should be accounted for since you've already been waiting 30 days since wanting to purchase a handgun. The reason it is taking ridiculously long right now is because of the sheer number of applications that have been submitted. I read an article where they said they're working "around the clock" just to process the applications within the 30 day time period. Many people want more gun control until a pandemic hits and they realize the necessity of the right to bare arms and then suddenly everyone and their grandma buys every gun on the shelf and hoards all the ammo they can find.
Working around the clock? So that means that LD has lost the 2x 15 minute breaks, so they now have to work an extra 30 minutes every day?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post
Like cherry blossoms in spring

Ban hammer falls and makes all better
Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

I give no fawkes.

SOTAR FTW!
Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life

DaemonAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2020, 02:39 PM #1166

And they said it would never happen...

Day 34 and I can officially exercise my constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

-- Clint Eastwood
AKbythebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2020, 06:42 PM #1167

Application received 6/18/20
Application approved 7/16/20
Card Received 7/23/20

Finally have my card and now a new problem...... if the gun your looking to buy rhymes with Out of Stock chances are that it probably is!! Went to my local store and they were all sold out of Glocks so now I'm searching online and they seem to be sold out everywhere.

Last edited by JB28; July 23rd, 2020 at 09:10 PM.
Old July 25th, 2020, 09:17 AM #1168

You may have to order from a reputable seller on gunbroker.com.

They will mail to your FFL. I purchased my Glock 17 from them.
DdotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2020, 09:49 AM #1169

Quote:
You may have to order from a reputable seller on gunbroker.com.

They will mail to your FFL. I purchased my Glock 17 from them.
Called around all my local stores and one happened to have one Glock 19 left so they pulled it off the shelf for me to come and pick up luckily.
Old July 27th, 2020, 04:11 PM #1170

HQL was approved today, sent application in on June 26th, 31 days but they were also waiting for a response from me on the questionnaire. I guess now I wait for my card?

Looking up on how to set up my licensing portal....I can see the fun isn't over yet.....
PrimusNephilim is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues