• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Hey guys. might have to ship a C&R pistol to a C&R holder in another state.
    First of all can I just go to the post office and mail it or UPS and just mail it.
    If not does it have to be mailed by an ffl holder. Lastly does anyone know an ffl around the Northern Baltimore, Harford or Carroll county who will do this for less than 40.00. Thanks

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Can't do post office, that is only for dealers. UPS works but you have to 2nd day air it I believe. More info on their website.
    FFL dealer can ship USPS

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Last handgun I shipped was $100 as I went to Fedex and their policy must overnight it as their fine employees tend to steal firearms. So, we get to pay more for it............

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Your best bet is to pay a dealer to mail a handgun. I have gone through this before. You cant do usps and fedex and ups will only do next day air for handguns. The ups charge for that for a small box is over 90 dollars

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Shipping from an FFL to an FFL is by far the safest and cheapest way to go. First, the shipping FFL takes possession of the gun and essentially "owns" it (as does the receiving FFL), making them responsible for it. Secondly there is a paper trail to follow should anything befall the gun during shipping. Shipping regulations for non-licensed individuals make it a very costly proposition, whereas a dealer doesn't have the same constraints.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    Hey guys. might have to ship a C&R pistol to a C&R holder in another state.
    First of all can I just go to the post office and mail it or UPS and just mail it.
    If not does it have to be mailed by an ffl holder. Lastly does anyone know an ffl around the Northern Baltimore, Harford or Carroll county who will do this for less than 40.00. Thanks

As long as you are both FFL03s it looks like the USPS is ok for you to ship. Look at section 12.1.2a here. https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2011/pb22321/html/updt_001.htm

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    As long as you are both FFL03s it looks like the USPS is ok for you to ship. Look at section 12.1.2a here. https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2011/pb22321/html/updt_001.htm

only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 12.1.1g.

C$R may not (as we're usually interested in) be an antique. See 12.1.1h. The reference above in the quoted text (g) I believe should refer to definition (h) in that (h) deals with antiques.

In other words, I personally would not rely on your interpretation.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    C$R may not (as we're usually interested in) be an antique. See 12.1.1h. The reference above in the quoted text (g) I believe should refer to definition (h) in that (h) deals with antiques.

In other words, I personally would not rely on your interpretation.

You are probably right. It seems vague. Even though it does say in 12.1.1f that FFLs defined in Chapter 44, Title 18, United States Code are ok and C&R is recognized there as a licensee. IANAL so interpret for yourself.

f. Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) manufacturer, dealer, or importer of firearms means a manufacturer, dealer, or importer duly licensed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) under Chapter 44, Title 18, United States Code (U.S.C.).

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    You are probably right. It seems vague. Even though it does say in 12.1.1f that FFLs defined in Chapter 44, Title 18, United States Code are ok and C&R is recognized there as a licensee. IANAL so interpret for yourself.

Yes, I've heard both sides of the argument. Just don't want to see anyone get hung up on what should be a minor issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom