• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thoughts on 40s&w

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

BigYansh

Apr 2, 2019
    PG County
    Just got approved for my HQL last night. I am thrilled. Now for my first handgun. I'm looking at a Beretta 96a1. Thoughts on 40s&w. Tell me what you think in the comments.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-04-05-00-49-41-989_org.mozilla.firefox_20190405005445851.jpg
      Screenshot_2019-04-05-00-49-41-989_org.mozilla.firefox_20190405005445851.jpg
      68.5 KB · Views: 1,922

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Congrats , but the state has and continues to hamper and cockblock our rights to own guns , carry guns , have permits , mag caps. and any other method to hinder our God given rights to protect ourselves .

I don't find it as refreshing , state is made of delusional assholes

Invicta

Sep 16, 2018
    The only purpose I see for 40 anymore is competition. Buy a 9mm and have good hollow points for defense needs.

And what I mean by that is, buy a 9mm Glock ;)

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I'm partial to .45acp, even in a small S&W shield, recoil is a shove, not a slam, and big heavy HP will get job done.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Congrats , but the state has and continues to hamper and cockblock our rights to own guns , carry guns , have permits , mag caps. and any other method to hinder our God given rights to protect ourselves .

I don't find it as refreshing , state is made of delusional assholes

Well, that's not what he asked, was it? He asked for an opinion on .40, not for an opinion on MD gun laws. :rolleyes: JFC.

.40 has been gaining ground in competition shooting because of its magazine capacity and power-factor but, steadily falling-out of favor as a defensive round with LE agencies and civilians who are switching back to either 9mm or .45 ACP.

If you like Berettas, maybe go with a 92 instead of a 96? Better yet, hit a local range where you can try some different ones and see what works best for you. Congratulations!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    40 S&W is a good round and did/does its job well. Don’t let anyone tell you differently. In Glock there is the infamous 40 kaboom. It does have similar felt recoil as 45 ACP in identical handguns since it works at higher pressures.

Rent a couple models at an indoor range and have fun. Then you will know which models works for you.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I like the 40, I like the 45 better. I like the price of 9mm ammo. :) Have you fired a 40? Some complain about the snappy recoil. Shoot all three before you decide.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Personally I would go for the 9mm Beretta. Cheaper to run and get parts for. Less snappy, so follow up shots are faster (although 96 absorbs a lot fo recoil being full steel gun). As others have said, not any real advantage of 40 over 9mm anymore with modern bullet technology. If you really want something with more power skip .40 and go to 10mm or 357 sig.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I think 40S&W is a good cartridge, it’s more expensive then 9mm but cheaper then 45acp. It still puts holes in paper! Now for your choice of your first handgun, you can’t go wrong with the Beretta! I have a 96 and it’s one of my favorite handguns! Fit and feel of it in my hand, I just can’t beat it with any other handgun yet. I’ve put thousands of rounds through it with no problems at all. But it comes down to what YOU want! Good luck and enjoy your first handgun!

Attachments

• 95CB2CD3-648C-4509-912A-D9BDBD857B76.jpg
      95CB2CD3-648C-4509-912A-D9BDBD857B76.jpg
      102.6 KB · Views: 552
    • 1B218F56-D29A-4BA5-A452-9736CCB5FAEE.jpg
      1B218F56-D29A-4BA5-A452-9736CCB5FAEE.jpg
      78.4 KB · Views: 550

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    The 40 always seemed to me at least, a solution to a problem that didn't exist. 9mm too small for "man stopping" an attacker, 45 too much recoil for women/smaller men's hands? I try to stick to calibers used by military or available as surplus.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Better yet, hit a local range where you can try some different ones and see what works best for you.

always the best advice, try 'em all and then buy what you like best (model, and caliber).

9mm will give you more capacity, cheaper ammo, and with good defensive loads you're not giving up much to other calibers.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Well, that's not what he asked, was it? He asked for an opinion on .40, not for an opinion on MD gun laws. :rolleyes: JFC.

.40 has been gaining ground in competition shooting because of its magazine capacity and power-factor but, steadily falling-out of favor as a defensive round with LE agencies and civilians who are switching back to either 9mm or .45 ACP.

If you like Berettas, maybe go with a 92 instead of a 96? Better yet, hit a local range where you can try some different ones and see what works best for you. Congratulations!

Yeah i guess you are correct ,

My opinion is .40 is a fine gun to carry & shoot , i carried a M&P .40 for multiple years and i always renew my permit with my .40 .
    But now i carry a .45 daily .

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    The Beretta 92/96 is a large frame pistol meant more for open holster than concealed.

So why the Berretta as your first choice? What else have you shot? Why are you carrying and what situations or SD senarios do you expect to encounter? You have to train for the real world.

As for .40, that’s your choice but for a CCW chambering but I always recommend carrying what your local LEOs are issued as your starting point. As mentioned, most agencies are migrating back to 9mm from .40 thanks to improvement in JHP designs. As you gain experience in your shooting and CCW, you can experiment later with heavier calibers like 40 and 45 ACP. Golfers don’t carry 1 club or ball so neither should a shootist.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Harford County deputy I was talking with recently carries 40 on duty but prefers 9mm off duty. Said he'd rather have a few more rounds in the magazine. Also comes down to what you've trained with/had more time behind. Regardless, a well aimed shot from most calibers gets the job done.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    It all depends on what you like. Given the variety of options out there and the age of the design I’d ask why the 96? I love my 92, but it wasn’t and wouldn’t be my first choice.

The big advantage to 40 S&W these days is the availability of cheap police trade ins.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    I like the 40, I like the 45 better. I like the price of 9mm ammo. :) Have you fired a 40? Some complain about the snappy recoil. Shoot all three before you decide.

Or buy all three, shoot all three, then decide. And it's likely you'll want a couple of 22s for affordable plinking, and a Walther in 380ACP because it doesn't print under your tuxedo jacket.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Where are you in skill development and how often are you going to be able to make it to the range. Along with that, is ammunition cost going to be a prohibiting factor in range time or is it just going to be trying to fit in range time/training to your life that is the prohibiting factor? 9, 40, & 45 are close enough in terminal performance that any of them are okayish enough for defense use. For someone starting off, 9mm is cheaper with less recoil, so it can give you more time at the range before you're stopped by your wallet and/or hand fatigue. You also get a benefit of capacity, so you're not stopping to reload mags as often(especially if you just bring pre-loaded mags with you to save range-time).

After the first purchase of a defensive pistol(so you have one), I'd see how quickly I could pickup a .22lr pistol in a similar configuration for training. The m&p and m&p-22 options are cool for this reason. You have a pretty identical .22 to the 9mm/40 that you can get a lot of trigger time with for very little cost. You can also pickup a m&p airsoft and CO2 bb gun for more training at-home. The airsoft version even allows you to run through home-defense scenarios with some force-on-force stuff to iron out your plans/responses. A common firearm like a glock or m&p also opens up a world of holster options for you that some less common guns won't have.

Look at picking up a police trade-in(especially if you decide on .40....and especially w/ glock). They typically have very little mechanical wear on parts, even if they have cosmetic wear on the outside from being carried. It's a solid way to pickup a gun in good shape w/ tritium sights on the cheap. Congrats on your intro into handgunnery.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The Beretta 92/96 is a large frame pistol meant more for open holster than concealed.

So why the Berretta as your first choice? What else have you shot? Why are you carrying and what situations or SD senarios do you expect to encounter? You have to train for the real world.

As for .40, that’s your choice but for a CCW chambering but I always recommend carrying what your local LEOs are issued as your starting point. As mentioned, most agencies are migrating back to 9mm from .40 thanks to improvement in JHP designs. As you gain experience in your shooting and CCW, you can experiment later with heavier calibers like 40 and 45 ACP. Golfers don’t carry 1 club or ball so neither should a shootist.

CCW in maryland? Say what??? You've been smoking some glass, when you are sober re-read the OP. HQL is for mere purchase, not CCW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom