What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm not worried too much about it, because any brass that has gauging problems is going to become my test case for forming 6.5 Grendel from 7.62x39...

Raypa

Jul 3, 2020
    Great tool I use this all the time and is really easy to know what primer pockets need work very fast.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have and use the primer pocket swage gauges, yeah. They are essential if you're trying to properly set on press swaging depth.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Finished trimming/chamfering/deburring my ~400pcs of 7.62x39 brass (thank you, Giraud Power Trimmer!), put it all through a wet tumble, and am now drying it in a fancy overpriced dehydrator. I'll figure out how to load it up with SSTs soon enough.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    Just got two cases of 1000 124gr FMJ from Precision Delta. Opened up the first case to do my regular spot check of 30 to 50 projectiles. The first few were reading 115 grains…. Oh boy, So I kept weighing till I had one hundred 115 grain projectiles. Only 17 were 124 grains….

Crap crap crap. Emailed them to see what they want to do…

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    Made a New Primer Rod/Alarm

Attachments

• IMG_5835.jpg
      IMG_5835.jpg
      22 KB · Views: 113

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Loaded up a couple hundred 9mm, and ~60 .300AAC supers. My 3D printed bullet feeder is on the fritz again, bleh, I forgot how annoying it is to put in bullets by hand. Plus side, my DAA Primer Pro is totally dialed in for CCI small pistol primers, so refilling the primer tubes was quick.

Next project will be priming that 7.62x39 brass...

Yellowdog

MDS Supporter
    Jul 4, 2011
    Columbia
    Picked up about 25# of .223 brass from a scrap yard where I know the owner. Now sorting and tumbling then cut down to size for 300 Blackout

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    It’s real nice how the answers given so far tell you how the bullet could be attached to the rod, but not how the alarm goes off without the lever to hit the button. :lol2: :lol2:

I moved the lever since their are no primers in the tube so I don’t have to hear the alarm kinda common sense. Once you load your primers into the tub put the lever done and then the road no change to normal functionality

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Still trying to figure out what is wrong with the RMR mystery junk brass. The double handful I’ve checked on my case gauge and OAL gauge checks out fine. Checking with a .310” FMJ it might be that the necks were sized to .308. I haven’t put calipers on any of the necks. But the base barely makes it in to the case mouth. Seems like it’ll seat, but might just need to be run through a bit to be neck sized.

I’ll definitely check every case before loading any of it, but really happy I picked up 500 cases pre-primed for ridiculously cheap. Sort of wishing I’d gotten 1k cases, but hell it’ll take me years to load and shoot the 100+500 I have as I only have an SKS in it and tons of steel cased still. Also only have 250 projectiles…so I’ll need to wait till .310/.311” bullets are something approaching available again.
    It could be that you got a good batch, or that I pulled very unlucky.

I am about halfway through the first bag, and I have a huge reject rate - probably 50%+. It's just a dog's breakfast of problems: primers not fully seated, case necks way too long (ie, case out of headspace by a LOT), shoulder angle off, a few cases unprimed, even a sad old Berdan-primed case (how they deprimed it, I have no idea). It looks SUSPICIOUSLY like many of these were accidentally run through a 308 sizer die many cases (pardon the pun). I double checked the case gauge against a real Russian round and it fit exactly as expected, so I don't think it's a tools problem.

I'd be real, real careful about using these. A few may be salvageable with a pass through the appropriate sizing die without a decapper, but I don't see how you fix "neck too long".

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It could be that you got a good batch, or that I pulled very unlucky.

I am about halfway through the first bag, and I have a huge reject rate - probably 50%+. It's just a dog's breakfast of problems: primers not fully seated, case necks way too long (ie, case out of headspace by a LOT), shoulder angle off, a few cases unprimed, even a sad old Berdan-primed case (how they deprimed it, I have no idea). It looks SUSPICIOUSLY like many of these were accidentally run through a 308 sizer die many cases (pardon the pun). I double checked the case gauge against a real Russian round and it fit exactly as expected, so I don't think it's a tools problem.

I'd be real, real careful about using these. A few may be salvageable with a pass through the appropriate sizing die without a decapper, but I don't see how you fix "neck too long".

Now I am real curious to check more. It’s possible what I was looking at was undersized, but all passed the OAL gauge okay and fit the case gauge just fine. No proud primers I saw. Again, I probably checked a double handful of 30 or so rounds.

I might have time to check this weekend. More to come (for mine anyway). You are making me glad I didn’t order more before they ran out of stock. :-)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’m cleaning up and organizing. I have a problem. These are SOME of my AR spare parts bins. Gonna see how many complete rifles I can build from them. Might get as many as 4-5. Lol.

Attachments

• A6770C7F-82E6-4AB1-B779-A3E35F824E83.jpg
      A6770C7F-82E6-4AB1-B779-A3E35F824E83.jpg
      115.1 KB · Views: 95

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads