Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > The Depot
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM #201

I use events like the current situation as a learning event. I was in the exact same boat in 2012/2013 as some are now. Had very little ammo on hand, never considered there being a real shortage where I couldn't find it. I learned that handgun and black rifle ammo can take a year or more to recover from a buying frenzy. 22LR can take almost 5 years.

Well, my attitude changed. During that period I bought what I could find, even overpaying some of the time. But in the long term, I learned from my ignorance and during subsequent "good times'' I bought it cheap and stacked it deep EVERY time I could afford it and found it.

I set up a system that worked for me, buying consistently every payday as soon as ammo started to reappear at normalish prices. Moving up to buying by the case from places like Targetsports (free shipping!). Supplemented by one-off events like the WM Perfecta Rollback in 2015 and the WM Evil Ammo Selloff in December 2019 really helped to increase the stockpile. I now have peace in the chaos.

One thing I did not do was come here to whine and bemoan my situation. I didn't try to shame or ridicule those who did prepare and call them ammo hogs or price gougers. I did not disparage capitalism or the free market. I simply learned from MY MISTAKE and adjusted my strategy and you can too. I realized a better way to prepare. And the value of "making hay while the sun is shining". This is not directed at those in this thread who are newbies and learning this for themselves the hard way. To the big govt/regulation/"fair" profit guys....learn and adjust or turn in your guns and take up knitting. You ain't gonna make it long-term.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
-Declaration of Independence 7/4/1776
Bisleyfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisleyfan44 View Post
I use events like the current situation as a learning event. I was in the exact same boat in 2012/2013 as some are now. Had very little ammo on hand, never considered there being a real shortage where I couldn't find it. I learned that handgun and black rifle ammo can take a year or more to recover from a buying frenzy. 22LR can take almost 5 years.

Well, my attitude changed. During that period I bought what I could find, even overpaying some of the time. But in the long term, I learned from my ignorance and during subsequent "good times'' I bought it cheap and stacked it deep EVERY time I could afford it and found it.

I set up a system that worked for me, buying consistently every payday as soon as ammo started to reappear at normalish prices. Moving up to buying by the case from places like Targetsports (free shipping!). Supplemented by one-off events like the WM Perfecta Rollback in 2015 and the WM Evil Ammo Selloff in December 2019 really helped to increase the stockpile. I now have peace in the chaos.

One thing I did not do was come here to whine and bemoan my situation. I didn't try to shame or ridicule those who did prepare and call them ammo hogs or price gougers. I did not disparage capitalism or the free market. I simply learned from MY MISTAKE and adjusted my strategy and you can too. I realized a better way to prepare. And the value of "making hay while the sun is shining". This is not directed at those in this thread who are newbies and learning this for themselves the hard way. To the big govt/regulation/"fair" profit guys....learn and adjust or turn in your guns and take up knitting. You ain't gonna make it long-term.

Excellent post. Thanks for summing up the situation.

"Forget it, Jake, it's C̶h̶i̶n̶a̶t̶o̶w̶n̶ Maryland."

Originally Posted by Deep Lurker:
Quote:
Disclaimer: “No criminals will be harmed in the passage of these gun control bills.”
Bob A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisleyfan44 View Post

Well played
www.LoansbyLowry.com
410 753 2236

NRA member & MSI Executive member
El_flasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > The Depot