MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Lawsuit to force the state of Maryland to issue free email addresses please

Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014
    Really? You are complaining about the requirement of an email address? This is one reason lawmakers and public officials don't take the 2A community serious. You will complain about anything.... just to complain. There is no perfect fix to this screwed up system Maryland has in place. But this system will drastically save time. When people were waiting six months for an approval and had no idea where their application stood, they were emailing the msp constantly. They didn't mind giving an email then. This system is designed to prevent any further debacles like the background check delays. They have made hundreds of other improvements as well. I am the first one to complain when the MSP is doing something stupid. But this may be the best thing that has ever been developed for the Licensing Division. I do see this opening up doors for the 2A community. Especially on the 7 day wait and one gun a month rule. But come on. Are you really complaining about giving an email address?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Really? You are complaining about the requirement of an email address?

Considering the grounds on which voter ID laws are being fought, I quite understand the complaints.

A question...does the MSP system allow the saving of a pre-filled form? It would seem to me that a purchaser should be able to load in his HQL number and access a saved form with all the information filled out. Just as a convenience.

Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014
    Considering the grounds on which voter ID laws are being fought, I quite understand the complaints.

A question...does the MSP system allow the saving of a pre-filled form? It would seem to me that a purchaser should be able to load in his HQL number and access a saved form with all the information filled out. Just as a convenience.

The HQL database is not linkable to this system yet. The HQL system is not nearly as high speed as this. But once you create a profile in the new 77re, you don't have to reenter info again for any additional purchases except for the questions of have you ever been..... that is unless you need to make a change of address or height weight etc.

And honestly, I don't mean to be critical of people complaining. Maryland citizens have been run through the ringer so many times all of this is frustrating. But I do realize that this level of complaints become white noise after time.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Jack... please don't pass my remark off as "just to complain"... everyone you know obviously has a computer and an email address. It may very well be the greatest thing since sliced toast... for you and me... and everyone else here in Maryland with an email address... Sad to say, in this day and age, I do have friends... with guns... that do NOT have a computer, nor an email address... nor a SmartPhone... I guess there is no room in today's society for people to be free of the tethers that have become the norm. Yes... I have all of the above, but to infer that anyone without these things should be excluded for "not catching up"? Without saying it... this IS what you are saying. Feel free to tell me where I am wrong.
    With all due respect... Steve.

ETA... and please don't take this as arguing, just for the sake of arguing.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    So, this will effect anyone who will be buying a handgun or lower after 1 Jan 2017. Buyer will log into MSP web sight to start 77r. You provide info for the same parts of forms you fill out today. You will need a valid email address. Once you complete your part of form you will get a code emailed to you. You bring that code to FFL. FFL will open application and auto populate 77r form with pulled down info from your data (FFL will use that code you were emailed). FFL qa's answers and corrects some items if needed. Ex wrong choice in sales type... FFL adds in info on weapon being bought and other info FFL normally enters on 77r. FFL then turns computer over to you to pay $10.00 MSP fee. You will need a credit card for that or some arrangement with FFL if you don't have a credit card. FFL submits 77r electronically and if all goes well you pick up weapon after 7 day waiting period like normal

Take aways:
    - buyer starts process online
    - buyer needs email address
    - buyer pays MSP 10.00 fee directly and then what ever FFL charges for transfer direct to FFL given buying situation.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

My understanding is that this process takes place at the FFL. You do not enter information in advance from the comfort of your home. You do it at the shop where you are buying the gun.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Some documents on the MSP site : http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...aining/LicensingDivisionTrainingSessions.aspx

The Licensing Portal Dealer Training Outline pdf in particular seems to imply that this would be done at the dealer on their computer. The dealer would be logged in and you fill out Part 1 and the dealer fills out Part 2.

I for one would not enter my info and credit card info on a computer I do not trust. Not saying that the dealers would do anything nefarious but more that they probably aren't keeping up with security updates.

I wouldn't trust a new MSP server as far as I could throw the dealer's building. I have yet to hear them brag that they passed a security audit.

Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014
    Jack... please don't pass my remark off as "just to complain"... everyone you know obviously has a computer and an email address. It may very well be the greatest thing since sliced toast... for you and me... and everyone else here in Maryland with an email address... Sad to say, in this day and age, I do have friends... with guns... that do NOT have a computer, nor an email address... nor a SmartPhone... I guess there is no room in today's society for people to be free of the tethers that have become the norm. Yes... I have all of the above, but to infer that anyone without these things should be excluded for "not catching up"? Without saying it... this IS what you are saying. Feel free to tell me where I am wrong.
    With all due respect... Steve.

ETA... and please don't take this as arguing, just for the sake of arguing.

I hear you. I understand what you are saying.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Really? You are complaining about the requirement of an email address? This is one reason lawmakers and public officials don't take the 2A community serious. You will complain about anything.... just to complain. There is no perfect fix to this screwed up system Maryland has in place. But this system will drastically save time. When people were waiting six months for an approval and had no idea where their application stood, they were emailing the msp constantly. They didn't mind giving an email then. This system is designed to prevent any further debacles like the background check delays. They have made hundreds of other improvements as well. I am the first one to complain when the MSP is doing something stupid. But this may be the best thing that has ever been developed for the Licensing Division. I do see this opening up doors for the 2A community. Especially on the 7 day wait and one gun a month rule. But come on. Are you really complaining about giving an email address?

When Courts have ruled that requiring a State Issued ID to vote is a violation of Civil Rights, You bet your A## I am!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

So long as there are those who are too poor to afford/want a computer or those who are too old to understand (although this particular problem is largely self limiting) I will disagree entirely with ANY extra requirements for those looking to defend their and their loved ones ones lives.

You where born in America and aren't a criminal? Here's your gun. It shouldn't be ANY more onerous than that and I for one will not stop fighting for this until it is achieved or I am dead.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    My understanding is that this process takes place at the FFL. You do not enter information in advance from the comfort of your home. You do it at the shop where you are buying the gun.
    Not what MSP trainers put out. You can enter your data from comfort of home.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    that was my rudimentary understanding. you give your email address and PIN to the FFL after completing your initial registration at home and he fills in the gun and dealer info and submits it to MSP.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    So if you fill out the online 77r and mark HQL exempt, will it still go through? Is it the FFLs duty to verify?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    i'd guess it's just like it is now. you either show him your card when you go to the FFL or put it in beforehand so MSP can check it.

kinda like the DC designation.

just a guess

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    that was my rudimentary understanding. you give your email address and PIN to the FFL after completing your initial registration at home and he fills in the gun and dealer info and submits it to MSP.

That would kind of be like giving each bank teller and grocery store clerk your Debit/ATM PIN.

I hope you enter it yourself rather than giving the code to the FFL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom