• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowieite

Sep 22, 2013
    Undisclosed Location
    Does anyone have any experience with the inexpensive Turkish made Over/Under Shotguns sold on Gunbroker? I am looking for a 20 gauge for my son to shoot Trap/Skeet and Sporting Clays with. He would rather a semi, but I would rather the ease off use of an Over/Under.

730waters

Apr 20, 2013
    Rising Sun, Md
    There are several good manufacturers in Turkey making OU's. MY buddy Ted Hatfield was making them under several different manufacturers in Turkey. I have a 28ga OU Hatfield shotgun. I know Ted for a few years made all of Kimber's high end shotguns. He moved his plant to Turkey, because of the abundance of craftsman and cheaper operating cost. I would trust a Turkish shotgun over a Russian made shotgun.

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    CZ maybe a good brand to look at.They have one O/U at about 1K made for young shooters (the Sterling). I wouldn't worry about a 20 ga., he will want a 12 very quickly and my wife transitioned from 20 to 12 without any problem. I would suggest a 12 ga with light loads.. I got the CZ Sterling for her and it was well made and looked very good. I have read some mixed reviews about the other Turkish guns. Sames like the quality control by the American re-brander is critical, as well as the price break. Apparently if you go too low on the price you will regret it pretty quickly and have a frustrated young shooter. I have read a lot of negative about the Condor, apparently made in Brazil. Price wise, you might be better off with a better quality Semi auto. They seem to do well in Skeet and Sporting Clays, and Trap with he right choke.12 ga. in a SA with light loads will avoid a recoil problem and flinching. Good luck, clay shooting becomes addictive (the good kind of addiction).

Bowieite

Sep 22, 2013
    Undisclosed Location
    Spur, yeah he handles my 12 with no issues. So, you might be right about getting a 12. We could save money on buying bulk ammo too. When we go and he has to rent, he asks for a SA. But, he may start on a trap and skeet team and I'm worried about equipment failures during a competition.

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    I bought a Yildiz SPZ ME 20ga and have been very happy with it. I know some people have used it for 4H programs etc. They get pretty good reviews, and are a very serviceable for the price point. I got mine off GB bc obviously no Academy around here. For the price I would say it is a fantastic gun for hunting and an OK gun for clays (a bit too light). You can find plenty of reviews for them on YouTube and opinion pieces from people who actually have/use them on ShotgunWorld. Here is a good fairly unbiased review of them that gives good insight into the mechanics of them. I use it mainly for hunting and as a loaner gun for clays. For this type of use I would highly recommend it.

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    730waters, I have heard some good reviews of the Hatfield line, and Tristar too. The ones I saw on Gunbroker don't give a manufacturer name, which I think is shady.

The Tristar O/Us are pretty suspect. About 50/50 negative and positive reviews based on the info I was able to find. The semiauto Viper G2 model gets mostly consistent positive reviews. I have both a 12ga and 20ga in that model and they have been very reliable.

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    aht2131, thanks for the news on the Viper SA. that is one of the ones I was looking at if I was going to go the SA route. Good to hear.

I shoot at PG all the time. If you want to give them a try I'll be glad to bring them one day.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Turkey can make great stuff or junk, depends on the importer. If they want to pay $100 for a gun that is what they get. If they pay for a $1k gun and work with the maker you'll get a quality gun.

I would research a lot to learn which names/brands are better and go from there.

A used, known, quality gun may be a better move though. Easier to fix when something does break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom