• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Recently bought a 22lr/22wmr pistol and the manual said it was okay to shoot shot shells out of it so I went to buy some just to have something different to shoot. The website advised that the shot could damage rifling, so before purchasing I called the gun mfg and they said no problem it was fine to shoot.

So since I have a bunch of this stuff my question is it okay to shoot it in a Marlin 795 rifle ?

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    1. You have .22 shot shells
    2. You bought a 795
    3. You got an ok from the manufacturer to shoot the shot out of the 795
    4. You ask a bunch of strangers if it is ok to shoot the shot out of the 795.

Why?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    CCI shotshells use plastic shot capsules, where the shot does not comtact bore.

Old School crimped shot loads ( aka "rat shot" ) have the bare shot contacting the bore full length down the bbl.

Also ejection malfunctions from the (longer) crimped cases possible in some applications.

The OP didn't state brand of which he had a stash
    but CCI is by far the prefered choice .

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    2. You bought a 795

Why?

The PISTOL manufacturer said okay to shoot.

Marlin RIFLE says nothing about it

If you're going to be a snarky ass AT LEAST learn how to read first :rolleyes:

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    CCI shotshells use plastic shot capsules, where the shot does not comtact bore.

Old School crimped shot loads ( aka "rat shot" ) have the bare shot contacting the bore full length down the bbl.

Also ejection malfunctions from the (longer) crimped cases possible in some applications.

The OP didn't state brand of which he had a stash
    but CCI is by far the prefered choice .

Have CCI 22 magnum (plastic capsule) and Federal 22lr bird shot (crimped). The lr is of course what would be shot out of the Marlin. I just want to be sure it won't damage the barrel.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    2. You bought a 795

Why?

OP doesn't want to be screwed by Remarlin like he was screwed in 3 other threads. If Remarlin were too screw him, it would mean a "Where do I go/I've been screwed by my Marlin 795 and CCI Shotshell" thread.

And that would just screw the rest of us.:D

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    So, we're questioning whether shotshells will damage the rifled barrel of a $160 gun?

Probably won't cycle, and will leave bits of plastic in the grooves.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 11.35.06 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 11.35.06 AM.jpg
      45.9 KB · Views: 533

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    It probably won't cycle the Marlin, but I doubt there would be damage. If you use the CCI (with the plastic dome) in a semi and don't shoot it, extracting may cause the dome to get stuck in the chamber.

Unless you are shooting at a snake or rat that is just barely out of knife range, you're probably going to be disappointed by the "pattern."

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The old school crimped shotshells ( which I believe Alan in SS is planning to shoot ) won't damage his Marlin rifle bbl .

You Will probably need to clean out lead deposits if you fire more than a cpl rounds, but this is certainly doable .

You will find out shortly if it cycles. It might/ probably will cycle, but worst case, manually cycle charging handle.

As alluded, the effective range of rimfire shotshells fired from rifled bbls is measured in single digit feet ( not yards).

But they still have a niche . If you need to shoot inside a barn or other structure without damaging walls or roof .

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    So, we're questioning whether shotshells will damage the rifled barrel of a $160 gun?

Yes. Because I'd prefer not to mess up the barrel and have to buy another $160 gun.

The old school crimped shotshells ( which I believe Alan in SS is planning to shoot ) won't damage his Marlin rifle bbl .

You will find out shortly if it cycles. It might/ probably will cycle, but worst case, manually cycle charging handle.

As alluded, the effective range of rimfire shotshells fired from rifled bbls is measured in single digit feet ( not yards).

Yep, crimped loads for the rifle. Plastic capsuled magnum loads only for the revolver. I figure the magnum should be able to blow out the plastic in a 6" barrel.

And yep, not worried about cycling.

And a final yep. I don't know how many are in the LR but I opened up a magnum round and counted 140 tiny little pellets. I was expecting something more like 30-40 1/2 bb size. Unless you caught one in the eye, at 10' I'm guessing it would probably feel like someone throwing sand at you.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    They used to make .22's specifically for shot cartridges. They had smooth bores and part way up the barrel it was bored out some. I have an old single shot Remington Model 513( I think?) like this. I believe they were made specially for small clay pigeons.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    The shot is lead isn't it? Lead isn't going to hurt steel.

Searched for about a half hour and couldn't find what they were made of.

They used to make .22's specifically for shot cartridges. They had smooth bores and part way up the barrel it was bored out some. I have an old single shot Remington Model 513( I think?) like this. I believe they were made specially for small clay pigeons.

In my search to find what the shot is made of I came across a couple of those smooth bores

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom