• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    I think the state's actions are indicative of how desperate they have become. Instead of heading off a lawsuit, they've made it very likely they'll be more than one. This blew up in their face big time. God Bless the person who alerted AGC to this scam.

This kind of behavior on the part of MOM and Gansler is criminal IMO. This was willful and intentional and it proves both criminal behavior and incompetence on their part. Rip them a new one.

+100

To whomever it was who blew this whistle, I thank you deeply and pray we never find out who you are.

I know there are several attorneys here so please correct me if I'm mistaken, but anyone recall years ago when you could get into MD Judiciary Case Search and if someone from the District of Columbia had the unfortunate circumstance to get a traffic ticket here in MD, their driver's license number was displayed. DC at the time used an individual's SSN as their driver's license number.

When I worked for attorneys we would routinely include SSNs on wage garnishments and bank levies because the employer or the bank required it in order to identify the individual.

The Maryland Courts changed all that and we were no longer allowed to file ANY document that had a SSN included because those documents were public record, available to anyone. I believe there was also a software change so that the SSNs were redacted on the MJCS system.

It's been awhile since I've viewed a criminal intake sheet, but as I recall, even THAT doesn't include a SSN.

Given that the MD Court system has such stringent restrictions on the use and/or submission of an individual's SSN, my hope is that they will take a dim view of this administration's shenanigans.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    From the limited information available, it appears that this is a violation of the State of Maryland's Information Security Policy:

http://doit.maryland.gov/Publications/DoITSecurityPolicy.pdf

Specifically:

SECTION 7
    Technical Level Controls 7.0 Access Control Requirements

All remote access connections that utilize a shared infrastructure, such as the Internet, must utilize some form of encryption for transmission of data and authentication information.

7.1 Audit & Accountability Control Requirement

Audit logs must be enabled for tracking activities taking place on the system. Application and system auditing must be enabled to the extent necessary to capture access, modification, deletion and movement of critical/confidential information by each unique user.

7.2 Identification & Authorization Control Requirements

Information systems must be configured to uniquely identify users, devices, and processes via the assignment of unique user accounts and validate users (or processes acting on behalf of users) using standard authentication methods such as passwords, tokens, smart cards, or biometrics.

And other requirements of the State of Maryland's Official IT policy.

This is a serious breech of any reasonable protocol for handling personally identifiable information, especially in lieu of the fact that it includes information the maryland state police is not legally able to require (social security numbers).

I am outraged that the State of Maryland appears to have failed to adhere by their own standards for handling personally identifiable information, and that the action of the State may contribute to the identity theft of several hundred thousand current and former residents of Maryland. The willful disregard for the established IT policy, and for privacy of applicants, borders on committing misconduct in office, by the officials sworn to protect the residents of the state.

tomh

Jul 21, 2008
    Make no mistake, legal action is in the works.

It's simple, someone has to PAY for the incompetence. O'Malley ordered it, and Gansler didn't stop it.

This is clearly illegal and an abuse of authority.

Sign me up as a party to any legal action - I'm game.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    It's simple, someone has to PAY for the incompetence. O'Malley ordered it, and Gansler didn't stop it.

This is clearly illegal and an abuse of authority.

Sign me up as a party to any legal action - I'm game.

If this is a class action suit in the making I will throw in!

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    So how real is the threat to our personal info? Should everybody who has filed for a regulated firearm transfer (or 5) be signing up for lifelock right now?

BMW

Feb 28, 2013
    SoMD
    Does anyone have a contact in the ATF? Is this something that would warrant their involvement?

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    I am waiting on 2 ND's. Fortunately I got on time release. I guess I qualify for any legal antics.

I have four in the pipes. I'm game on a lawsuit, although it will only be a few bucks for the next month while my wife gets back into the workforce.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    So how real is the threat to our personal info? Should everybody who has filed for a regulated firearm transfer (or 5) be signing up for lifelock right now?

It's very real. Lifelock is pointless. It only monitors for fraud and does nothing to correct any damage done unless you prove to them, most likely in court on your dime, that the damage was due to a "defect in their service". It is spelled out in their terms of service. You should contact Experian, Equifax, and Transunion immediately to put a credit freeze on your credit reports. Beware of the fraud alert option because it expires every 90 days and technically is only valid if you demonstrate fraud with documentation (i.e. police report). You should also buy identity theft insurance, not to be confused with credit monitoring services, so that somebody else takes care of and pays for repairing your identity records and credit reports if your identity is stolen.

Mr H

Banana'd
    If anything hits Lifelock, it's potential evidence in a lawsuit.

In my case, I've never had any issues, but for one CC problem almost 10 years ago. We are very careful.

So, if I get a hit, I can be assured with HIGH confidence it'd be because of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom