• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    That would probably go down something like this:

1) MSP obtains warrant
    2) MSP comes and executes the warrant, looking for anything illegal they can find in the process of finding the mentioned firearm
    3) After MSP confirms that the firearm is regulated and you did not register it, you get led out in handcuffs.
    4) MSP attempts to confiscate the firearm. Don't know if current law allows for confiscation though.

Telling them to go get a warrant in this situation is about as bad as telling them they should be back at headquarters working on Forms 77r. Granted, if you are 100% positive that the firearm in question in unregulated and you have nothing else to hide in the house, then go ahead and tell them to go get a warrant. Just make sure you know what ALL the laws are before telling them to go get a warrant.

It kills me to say this, but being a test case can be rather expensive in more ways than just money. It also kills me to lean toward complying with the MSP request.

There is an alternative but I hesitate to mention it at this time. I'd rather discuss it with you (and only you as a fellow attorney) in private.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    That would probably go down something like this:

1) MSP obtains warrant
    2) MSP comes and executes the warrant, looking for anything illegal they can find in the process of finding the mentioned firearm
    3) After MSP confirms that the firearm is regulated and you did not register it, you get led out in handcuffs.
    4) MSP attempts to confiscate the firearm. Don't know if current law allows for confiscation though.

Telling them to go get a warrant in this situation is about as bad as telling them they should be back at headquarters working on Forms 77r. Granted, if you are 100% positive that the firearm in question in unregulated and you have nothing else to hide in the house, then go ahead and tell them to go get a warrant. Just make sure you know what ALL the laws are before telling them to go get a warrant.

It kills me to say this, but being a test case can be rather expensive in more ways than just money. It also kills me to lean toward complying with the MSP request.

It would be my hope that a warrant would not be issued, but i forgot for a moment where i live.

Bob.Bee

Oct 13, 2012
    Waldorf, MD
    If you would like, might be a good idea to start your own thread on this one. I'm sure everyone would like to hear more about this.

From my friend's fb page:

Maryland State Police just knocked on my door...about my AR10 rifle...that for some reason it was not registered properly...I thought they were about to confiscate it ! But they smiled and said "not to worry sir, we're not here to take it...just need you to fill out some forms"....whew ! Wasn't sure what exactly I would've done if they said they were gonna take it ! Interesting that one of the officers said "were you in the military ? we didn't think you'd be a problem cause we see you have many other firearms registered to you"

i'll ask him tomorrow what forms he filled out...

i just finished reading his fb comments:

no warrant, just the standard NICS form and something else...can't recall...was just happy they weren't confiscating it. But now they have the serial number, make and model of a firearm that should have been an unregulated firearm...wondering if they will come back with more forms for any of the shotguns and bolt action rifle I got. It is odd because I purchased this heavy barrel 308 over a year ago and they tried to make it sound like this was routine. Just makes me wonder.

Last edited:

dejacks

Apr 23, 2013
    We have to get Colt to start producing a Maryland compliant rifle if we cannot purchase a clone of the "Sporter H-Bar".

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    From page 6 on the Gansler ruling:

They want to use the 'copies' provision to apply to one firearm but not another. The way the law is worded does not allow for that.

I see you read through that Gansler opinion I gave you. You have been using it a lot lately.

My argument for the AR-10 not being a copy of the AR-15, is that the mags are different, the bolt carrier group is different, the lower itself is larger because of the increase action length, the BCG is different (i.e., larger), and the list goes on. About the only thing that is interchangeable between the AR-15 and AR-10 is the fire control group (i.e., trigger) and the stock. Maybe the hand guard. Am I missing anything else that is interchangeable?

The big snafu with all of this is that we now have an issue regarding heavy barreled AR-15 rifles from other manufacturers, because they cannot stamp them Colt Sporter HBAR without being sued by Colt. So, is Colt going to receive a windfall from this, or is the MSP going to be less stringent about the stamping on the side of the gun if the gun is not a Colt but it has a heavy barrel. Why it is so hard for them to define with a HBAR rifle is, is beyond me, unless they want to continue to screw around with this until d-day on October 1, 2013.

I have not read all the proposed COMAR on this yet. Anybody see anything in it regarding the definition of a HBAR?

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    I see you read through that Gansler opinion I gave you. You have been using it a lot lately.

My argument for the AR-10 not being a copy of the AR-15, is that the mags are different, the bolt carrier group is different, the lower itself is larger because of the increase action length, the BCG is different (i.e., larger), and the list goes on. About the only thing that is interchangeable between the AR-15 and AR-10 is the fire control group (i.e., trigger) and the stock. Maybe the hand guard. Am I missing anything else that is interchangeable?

The big snafu with all of this is that we now have an issue regarding heavy barreled AR-15 rifles from other manufacturers, because they cannot stamp them Colt Sporter HBAR without being sued by Colt. So, is Colt going to receive a windfall from this, or is the MSP going to be less stringent about the stamping on the side of the gun if the gun is not a Colt but it has a heavy barrel. Why it is so hard for them to define with a HBAR rifle is, is beyond me, unless they want to continue to screw around with this until d-day on October 1, 2013.

I have not read all the proposed COMAR on this yet. Anybody see anything in it regarding the definition of a HBAR?

And other manufacturers make AR-15's stamped HBAR, Windham does I know off the top of my head.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012

I am pretty sure the fire control group is not interchangeable either.

Edit: muligan, i was thinking about the takedown pin sizes.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The AR10 is older than the AR15. It's "Armalite Number 10", while it's scaled down kid brother is "Aramalite Number 15".

You'd have a better argument that the AR15 is a copy of the original AR10.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County

I read the Gansler opinion long before you linked it. Thanks just the same.

"...or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon...”

That applies to every firearm following that phrase.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    I wonder if this same sort of thing happens in NYC if the NYPD finds out you drank a 32oz soda while visiting another state.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    We have to get Colt to start producing a Maryland compliant rifle if we cannot purchase a clone of the "Sporter H-Bar".

Why JUST Colt ? If an AR15 'clone' can be banned, why can't an HBAR 'clone' be legal ... S&W doesn't routinely ignore 'complaince' issues, and specifically manufactures models that do comply. For example:

S&W M&P15ORC SKU #811013 (Optics Ready Compliant)

S&W M&P10 SKU #811310

Attachments

• 811310_v020413a M&P 10 (Complaint).pdf
      989.7 KB · Views: 143
    • M&P10 Compliant.JPG
      M&P10 Compliant.JPG
      7.6 KB · Views: 598

CLP

Dec 18, 2012
    So are you guys saying a MD compliant mp15 is subject to bringing this unwanted attention just because the lower is not marked HBAR? I dont understand, they can now turn a rifle into something it isn't?

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Rusty, i posted in the advise thread you just posted in your IP section but the info may be good here as well.

Any advice in recording a potential visit say with an iPhone etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom