• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    NRA Suspends Chief Lobbyist For Alleged Coup Plot Against LaPierre

The circular firing squad at the National Rifle Association claimed another victim on Thursday, as the gun rights group suspended its chief lobbyist for his alleged involvement in a failed coup attempt against NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre.

As the New York Times reported, the accusation against Chris Cox was made in a lawsuit the NRA filed Wednesday in New York State Supreme Court against the NRA’s erstwhile president Oliver North.

This is a bombshell development given that Cox was one of the most visible faces of the NRA. He has worked for the NRA since 1995, serving as executive director for the Institute for Legislative Action — the NRA’s lobbying arm — since 2002. He was just reelected to his position at the board meeting this April.

Cox spearheaded lobbying for the group, and garnered respect within the organization. His branch – the ILA – is seen as one of the NRA’s most effective components, blocking any meaningful gun control legislation from going through Congress mass shooting after mass shooting.

It’s the latest development in the escalating battle between North and LaPierre, which began when the NRA sued its longtime ad firm, Ackerman McQueen, for refusing to disclose details of North’s lucrative separate contract with the Oklahoma City-based firm. North has accused LaPierre and other NRA bigwigs of wasting the company’s dwindling funds on frivolous expenses, and launched a failed coup attempt against LaPierre ahead of the board meeting in Indianapolis.

Per the NRA’s lawsuit, Cox exchanged emails and texts that showed he was in on the whole thing.

The lawsuit was brought by William Brewer III, the NRA’s longtime legal counsel and the son-in-law of the head of Ackerman McQueen. A leak of documents in May showed North accusing Brewer of draining cash from the gun group at “mindboggling speed,” allegedly billing it $18.5 million for 13 months of work.

NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam told the Times that Cox had “been placed on administrative leave” and that an internal review was underway.

Cox’s departure suggests that a deep rift between the NRA and the ILA – its lobbying arm – may be beginning to emerge.

The Times quoted an NRA-ILA spokeswoman as saying that Cox and LaPierre “worked closely together for a quarter of a century, and any notion that Chris participated in a coup is absurd. Chris Cox is known as a calming force who always acts in the best interests of our members by effectively defending the Second Amendment, so it’s not surprising that board members would reach out to him for advice during tumultuous times.”

Cox, in a statement to the Times, called the allegations “offensive and patently false.”

“For over 24 years I have been a loyal and effective leader in this organization,” he said. “My efforts have always been focused on serving the members of the National Rifle Association, and I will continue to focus all of my energy on carrying out our core mission of defending the Second Amendment.”

The lawsuit names another NRA board member – former Rep. Dan Boren (D-OK) – as participating in the alleged coup.

An exhibit attached to the New York state complaint purports to show Boren, head of another Ackerman client called Chickasaw Nation, telling another Chickasaw employee that he was worried that Ackerman was charging the NRA for “full salary to these employees that may have been working on our accounts.”

“I bet Ackerman is in trouble on this one,” he added.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/nra-suspends-chris-cox-lobbyist-coup-lapierre

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Definitely need the smoke to clear before having any sort of opinion on this one. Other than my opinion that the organization needs to get past the internal friction and focus more on the sort of insane Democrats who are holding press conferences literally in the NRA's front yard.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Wayne LaPierre really does need to go. He's bringing the NRA from the most powerful gun-rights group to a shell of it.

Wonder if the was turned by Bloomberg?

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    The swamp extends into Virginia too. We need to get a new breed of NRA leaders who are interested in protecting our constitution rights and not interested in personal enrichment.

Term limits on all NRA board and executive positions?? Might be one answer.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    While I'm a member, I'm not totally knowledgeable about the internal power struggle going on. Whatever it is, the NRA needs to get their shit together, and FAST.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chris Cox is a piece of crap just like Lapierre. I'm glad he is gone. Hopefully Lapierre is next.

That turd supported Red Flag Laws and banning Bumpstocks.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I never thought Noir was the problem , certainly WL and the higher ups need to be removed . They are too big for their britches IMHO , stop with the lap of luxury .

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Truly sad. Another instance where there seems to be a need for cops to police the cops.

No idea how this mess gets rectified. Even less confidence that it actually gets rectified correctly.

And absolutely certain that none of this helps to accomplish what needs to be accomplished.

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    LaPierre is a sad failure. If the board can’t get rid of him they’ll continue to bleed money and lose effectiveness. NRA-ILA is by far the most important arm, nothing else means anything if they aren’t keeping the grabbers in court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Truly sad. Another instance where there seems to be a need for cops to police the cops.

No idea how this mess gets rectified. Even less confidence that it actually gets rectified correctly.

And absolutely certain that none of this helps to accomplish what needs to be accomplished.

I'm waiting for the Revolutionaries' Meeting. Cleveland II maybe? A deep clean is long overdue, IMO. I was greatly underwhelmed looking over the last set of BOD nominees. I didn't even bother voting, which was a first for me...

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The Dems and other anti-gun forces are loving this. All they need to do is stand by and let the NRA destroy itself. While there are other gun rights organizations, the NRA is the heavyweight and takes most of the punches. With all this going on look for the Dems to be more aggressive in attempting to gun grab...overtly and covertly in Congress and the states.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    What if this is all a continuation of the larger plan to divide the country.

You know I've been thinking a lot about this lately. The Left has tried to break the NRA from every angle and has failed.

An internal attack is about the only thing they haven't tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom