Do I have to have suppressor paperwork in my possession when I use it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Some people do sell the stamps after they sell and transfer the NFA item. There are a bunch for sale on Ebay right now. They range from $40 - $75 for a single stamp. And one guy has 34 of them for sale for $900.

Curious. Just the stamps alone, or still attached to the forms. If the aforementioned, I assume the Form 1 Efile stamps would be worthless?

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    A couple of years ago I jumped through the hoops, waited, and took possession of a suppressor for a .22 pistol. I've used it a few times, but not recently, so I'm ready to take it out again. Question: Do I have to have my paperwork with me when I take it to the range?

No, but it could save you a ride in the back of a police car. I keep laminated, 1:4 scale copies attached to the soft cases for each, and pdf's on my phone.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    26 U.S.C. 5841(e); 27 CFR 478.101
    Section 3.7 (all the way at the end):
    "Maintaining registration documents. A person possessing an NFA firearm registered as required by law must retain proof of registration, that is, the document showing the person’s registration, which must be made available to ATF upon request."

And before anyone says that a suppressor is not a 'firearm', 26 USC § 5845(a) defines firearm as:

(a)The term “firearm” means
    (1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;
    (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;
    (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;
    (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;
    (5) any other weapon, as defined in subsection (e);
    (6) a machinegun;
    (7) any silencer (as defined in, United States Code); and
    (8) a destructive device. The term “firearm” shall not include an antique firearm or any device (other than a machinegun or destructive device) which, although designed as a weapon, the Secretary finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is primarily a collector’s item and is not likely to be used as a weapon.

So, you only ever HAVE to show your stamp to an ATF agent, upon request. Will you run into one at the range? Will they ask to see your papers?
    Just keep a reduced copy of the stamp in your case, just to be safe. I also keep a copy folded up in my wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom