• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    OP, tell your friend to save his money and buy a Palmetto State Armory Freedom Series. It is $449 and will keep up with every rifle mentioned in this thread and your friend will likely never use it to its full potential.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...reedom-rifle-olive-drab-green-5165450007.html

If he get's into shooting, then he can go buy something boutique. Any concerns, tell him to watch this video.

https://youtu.be/crdPv6nAQwU

If you shoot me your email, I'll give it to the guys who bring me PSA uppers that won't chamber a live round because headspace is so short. I'm sure they would like to hear how awesome PSA is.

Last edited:

sergeysakharov47

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2019
    If you shot me your email, I'll give it to the guys who bring me PSA uppers that won't chamber a live round because headspace is so short. I'm sure they would like to hear how awesome PSA is.

It is an entry level AR, it withstood a 5k torture test.... More than a starter needs... it will probably sit in his closet after a day at the range.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It is an entry level AR, it withstood a 5k torture test.... More then a starter needs... it will probably sit in his closet after a day at the range. He can get a pretty boutique gun and play with gauges and put quarters in his AR tube later.

It comes down to the question “would you trust that rifle to defend your life?” Range toys are range toys. Some are very unreliable but fun. If you are gonna pick up an AR for HD or SHTF, then you go over it with a fine toothed comb. You gauge it, you shoot it. Rifles from companies that routinely fail gauging may be fine as range toys....they may be dangerous. The information is worth what you paid for it. Take it or leave it. I personally choose to trust a guy who knows the AR down to the last detail.

sergeysakharov47

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2019
    It comes down to the question “would you trust that rifle to defend your life?” Range toys are range toys. Some are very unreliable but fun. If you are gonna pick up an AR for HD or SHTF, then you go over it with a fine toothed comb. You gauge it, you shoot it. Rifles from companies that routinely fail gauging may be fine as range toys....they may be dangerous. The information is worth what you paid for it. Take it or leave it. I personally choose to trust a guy who knows the AR down to the last detail.

I am guessing he just wants a range toy... I see a video where a guy drops the gun repeatedly on a slab of jagged rock, throws sand at it, drowns it, drags it on the floor and then does pushups on it and still shoots 2 MOA at 400 yards, that is good enough for most folks who do range shooting.

There are a lot a guys out there that only can afford a $500 AR15 and then have to sit here and listen to folks badmouth their gun that they worked hard for is not very classy.... At least they are getting one and that is all that matters.

I'll stick to my combloc, no gauges no, no quarters, no tiny little springs, just a toothbrush, a can of air, some WD40 and 10K rounds.. off we go.

To all you men and women out there who work your ass off and only can afford a $500 rifle! Good on you!!! Have fun, exercise your right to bear arms and don't let those who hate your gun bring you down. Hit me up... I'll go to the range for a day with ya!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I am guessing he just wants a range toy... I see a video where a guy drops the gun repeatedly on a slab of jagged rock, throws sand at it, drowns it, drags it on the floor and then does pushups on it and still shoots 2 MOA at 400 yards, that is good enough for most folks who do range shooting.

There are a lot a guys out there that only can afford a $500 AR15 and then have to sit here and listen to folks badmouth their gun that they worked hard for is not very classy.... At least they are getting one and that is all that matters.

I'll stick to my combloc, no gauges no, no quarters, no tiny little springs, just a toothbrush, a can of air, some WD40 and 10K rounds.. off we go.

To all you men and women out there who work your ass off and only can afford a $500 rifle! Good on you!!! Have fun, exercise your right to bear arms and don't let those who hate your gun bring you down. Hit me up... I'll go to the range for a day with ya!

You really have no idea what you are talking about. I'm the guy here who helps people make their $300-$500 AR's run.

Comblocs use gauges too. I would know because I own them.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

I understand where you are coming from. I don’t think “class” is what folks here are worried about. Yeah, for some folks, close enough is OK. For some folks, making sure the reliability of the rifle is going to be as close to 100% as they can get. If that’s the case, then making sure everything is “in-spec” is very important. A dedicated AR gunsmith telling you a particular brand has an inordinate number of problems should tell you something. Why do people tie their ego to their guns? It’s an objective statement not meant to be insulting.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    The title of the thread is what would you buy for a $1000. Start a thread about what would you buy for $500 and you will get different answers.

For a grand you can get a nice rifle that will run out of the box.

sergeysakharov47

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2019
    You really have no idea what you are talking about. I'm the guy here who helps people make their $300-$500 AR's run.

Comblocs use gauges too. I would know because I own them.

That is great, and from the sounds of it you are also the guy who fixes $5000 dollar ARs or otherwise you wouldn't have spent thousands on gauges. But remember, not everyone can afford a top notch weapon and instead of talking crap to them, why not just give them professional advice and courtesy rather then slam their decisions.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    That is great, and from the sounds of it you are also the guy who fixes $5000 dollar ARs or otherwise you wouldn't have spent thousands on gauges. But remember, not everyone can afford a top notch weapon and instead of talking crap to them, why not just give them professional advice and courtesy rather then slam their decisions.

You are the one that stated a $450 gun will keep up with any gun mentioned in this thread to a guy that can afford a rifle made in spec.

No one is shitting on a cheap rifle if that’s what you can afford. They are shitting on the idea that a 500 rifle is as good as a properly built and tested $1000 rifle.

sergeysakharov47

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2019
    You are the one that stated a $450 gun will keep up with any gun mentioned in this thread to a guy that can afford a rifle made in spec.

No one is shitting on a cheap rifle if that’s what you can afford. They are shitting on the idea that a 500 rifle is as good as a properly built and tested $1000 rifle.

For what and how that guy is going to use it for it absolutely will keep up with every rifle mentioned here. OP said this is his first gun, doubt he is an operator like all you geniuses.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

I do give professional advice and I help people with problem AR's. $300 dollar ones and 30k dollar ones. It's what I do. The gauges find defects in all price ranges. If the manufacturers would have better QC they probably would not be needed.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    For what and how that guy is going to use it for it absolutely will keep up with every rifle mentioned here. OP said this is his first gun, doubt he is an operator like all you geniuses.

Wanting a well built, reliable and in-spec AR does not equate to being an operator. Grow up.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Having a safe and reliable rifle has nothing to do with being an operator. Headspace and firing pin protrustion issues can allow a gun to KB. AR or AKM. People do use their AR for a home defense gun.

Affordable guns can be very safe and reliable, but one has to understand that some can be dangerous in one way or another to the shooter.

This is why manufacturers and Gunsmiths use gauges. It takes a lot of guess work out of play. From there is visual inspection and proper materials. Problem is many budget guns skimp on the QC and the end user gets stuck with something dangerous or useless.

sergeysakharov47

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2019
    Having a safe and reliable rifle has nothing to do with being an operator. Headspace and firing pin protrustion issues can allow a gun to KB. AR or AKM. People do use their AR for a home defense gun.

Affordable guns can be very safe and reliable, but one has to understand that some can be dangerous in one way or another to the shooter.

This is why manufacturers and Gunsmiths use gauges. It takes a lot of guess work out of play. From there is visual inspection and proper materials. Problem is many budget guns skimp on the QC and the end user gets stuck with something dangerous or useless.

You are absolutely correct and it is not a bad idea to have your gun serviced / checked by a professional, especially when buying used, Although less likely, these things can happen to very expensive guns.

Personally, I do not spend more than $750 on a rifle. My two ARs, my handfull of AKs and a SKS or two have never been gauged and always fired. That doesn't mean there is harm in having it checked.

My 1st AR was an Armalite, I can't remember what I paid for it but what I do know is that I put so many rounds through that thing that for some reason the cycle rate went very high. As it turned erosion of the gas port in the barrel was what caused the higher cycle rate and failures to extract. That was the only time any of my rifles had to see a doctor. I gave that Armalite a way to the gunsmith and bought a new one. Big mistake!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    OP, tell your friend to save his money and buy a Palmetto State Armory Freedom Series. It is $449 and will keep up with every rifle mentioned in this thread and your friend will likely never use it to its full potential.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...reedom-rifle-olive-drab-green-5165450007.html

If he get's into shooting, then he can go buy something boutique. Any concerns, tell him to watch this video.

https://youtu.be/crdPv6nAQwU
    MD legal (i.e. is at an HBAR)?

PSA has a really mixed track record. Most likely that review was with a T&E gun provided to the YouTubers by PSA. They did this with the first generation KS-47, which had issues that YouTubers missed, possibly because PSA sent them rifles that exhibited less of these problems. They also had many problems with the AR-10s (PA-10s) when they first released, as they did with a 9mm subgun recently.

I buy uppers from PSA, and after the first two had canted front sight posts, I moved to ordering ones that don't have front sight posts, having come to the conclusion that I'm getting a great deal on all the parts they're putting in the upper (especially the barrel) but the build quality isn't to be trusted (thus I have had them brought up to spec, including front sight posts fixed, via SOTAR).

I do think PSA is a resource and has its place in the AR vendor universe, but I don't think that they put out a product with the same care that Windham or Colt does.

sergeysakharov47

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2019

PSA has a really mixed track record. Most likely that review was with a T&E gun provided to the YouTubers by PSA. They did this with the first generation KS-47, which had issues that YouTubers missed, possibly because PSA sent them rifles that exhibited less of these problems. They also had many problems with the AR-10s (PA-10s) when they first released, as they did with a 9mm subgun recently.

I buy uppers from PSA, and after the first two had canted front sight posts, I moved to ordering ones that don't have front sight posts, having come to the conclusion that I'm getting a great deal on all the parts they're putting in the upper (especially the barrel) but the build quality isn't to be trusted (thus I have had them brought up to spec, including front sight posts fixed, via SOTAR).

I do think PSA is a resource and has its place in the AR vendor universe, but I don't think that they put out a product with the same care that Windham or Colt does.

Don't disagree, but Rob put that supposed POS PSA through a 5k torture test and up and till that point no other AR passed. That freedom PSA did! Therefore I am confident that it will be good enough for OPs friend and his first range session.

EDIT: Forgot to mention HBAR. Have you seen how many non HBAR rifles are MD legal per MSPD Firearms Search Not sure if HBAR has any meaning in MD anymore.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Chad has given his recommendations based on his experience of working on THOUSANDS or ARs. He has done it in a courteous manner hundreds of times. He takes issue with those who ask for advice, he gives it, and then they basically tell him he’s wrong.
    He’s given his time and advice to myself and many others here simply to help them have a reliable, functioning firearm.
    He’s probably forgotten more about the AR platform then most of us will ever learn.
    Then, we have someone like you who hasn’t been a member for even 24 hours giving him shit. That alone tells me you won’t last long here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017

How many uppers have you bought? Just for builds and then sales?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom