• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silver Fox

Sep 14, 2011
    Central Maryland
    I’m looking to buy an AR that is piston operated, not gas operated and chambered in a 762/308. The Sig 716 looks good to me but I’m also looking at Adcor as well. Anyone have thoughts of either of these two or a different suggestion?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    T91 The uppers are low cost, its got military heritage and is actually a fairly decent design.

Ill echo many that piston ARs tend to solve a problem that doesnt exist.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Why a retrofitted AR being forced to use a system it wasn't designed for when you could go for something like a scar or tavor 7?

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    The Sig 716 is a nice rifle, but I don't know if they worked out the proprietary forend and charging handle.

Q

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I’m looking to buy an AR that is piston operated, not gas operated and chambered in a 762/308. The Sig 716 looks good to me but I’m also looking at Adcor as well. Anyone have thoughts of either of these two or a different suggestion?

Here's a suggestion. Don't go with an inferior proprietary system. If you want 7.62 go with a gun that was designed to run it.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I would go with the SCAR or HK, but I would also go with 556 not 762. Much cheaper to shoot. Either will be pricey, both are great shooters. Watch the consignments section of IPs, they get sold from time to time in good condition, but without the "new" premium.

Technically, the bolt of a standard ("Direct Impingement") AR is also the piston, so all ARs are pistons (and they are all "gas operated" too). But I know what you mean. ;) Dont take the comments personally, Some people think that they are super clever (most people dont know that the bolt of a standard AR is also a piston). Some people here also think technology peaked in the 90s with "Colt" ARs and flip phones.

Bear in mind, "piston" ARs like HK 556 or 716 are much heavier than their DI counterparts. I have a HK556, its one of my favorite rifles and also one of the most accurate. But its much heavier than my lightest AR. SCAR is lighter than the Hk556 by almost 2 lbs. For 762, this could be a blessing rather than a curse as it will absorb recoil.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I started my days on this forum asking the same question. Many told me "you don't need a piston".

I was fascinated and intrigued by "something different".

I got my (Stag left handed) piston AR, and it worked.

Advantages:
    -There is no gas being vented into the bcg or upper receiver. It stays pretty clean.

Disadvantages:
    -More moving parts, and overall more complex.
    -Piston slams back harder than DI gas operation. Heavier buffer required.
    -Piston, head, cylinder, spring, all add up front weight, very front heavy.
    -Smaller parts and mechanism harder to disassemble and clean.
    -Non Standard parts must be sourced from manufacturer.

In the end, I found standard DI ARs to be easier. And even operating left handed they present no issue.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten a DI AR from the start.

I did just have it out again mated to a rifle length stock and buffer. It's better behaved and I am going to "save" it by building a new lower with a Magpul MOE Rifle length stock, tube, and buffer, and get all of the furniture correct. Pics to be posed in the AR Picture thread shortly. :D

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Given the OP's stated requirements, the most appealing option to me is the POF Revolution 308. It's not cheap, but it's one of the best executed, most feature-filled 308s on the market, and is WAY lighter than many other options. Otherwise, I'd run with a SCAR 17S or a Sig 716G2. None of that is cheap, but it's hard-core stuff.

That said, I do agree with the crowd that you can get pretty far a lot cheaper with an Aero M5E1 build.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    ok. I am getting an iPhone 11; but I ain't giving up my DI AR ;)

Nothing wrong with a "piston" design if that's what you want.

I have em all, piston, DI, and even a few (egads) AK style, and I think debating which one is the "best" is like debating which kind of sex is the best. if one wants a piston rifle, the heart wants what the heart wants.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    If you want a rock solid piston conversion kit for an existing AR15, then you should consider the Osprey Defense OPS-416. This kit instals in under 20 minutes, is purely mechanical so no little parts that break or get lost, is very light weight, reliable beyond reason and uses your existing bolt and gas-block which does not need to be removed for installation.

Note: Bollinger has a almost brand new Adcor up for consignment.

See OPS-416 videos below:

https://youtu.be/iAeqjSy7_uk?t=45

https://youtu.be/dTjJ2GJmlrU?t=36

https://youtu.be/z3hBXCvYIuk?t=38

https://youtu.be/I5FPaSrxyK4?t=35

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z